What's new

wireless router recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theunknownkid

New Around Here
Hey All,
New here and looking for some advice on router.
For the past 3 years I’ve had a ASUS RT-5300 (running merlin) which has just lost 2/4 ethernet ports. Currently under RMA process and looking to get store credit for new router. I need all 4 ports to run link aggregation and ethernet to devices.

I run link aggregation (2x 1GB) to NAS that runs plex media server, docker and a lot of traffic.
My pc does have a 5G NIC, but I don’t really need it.
Large apartment and require big wifi range. Don’t really have a budget as I want the best.

Options I've been looking into:
ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000
ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300
ASUS RT-AX88U
Netgear XR700 Nighthawk Pro
Netgear Nighthawk AX8
Netgear Nighthawk AX12 (will have to wait FY Q2 2019)
Ubiquiti combo:
- Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro AP
- Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway
- Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8

AX won’t really be useful until other devices support it/new devices come out. The ASUS routers support AX, but don’t have WPA3. What do you guys think? Make the jump to new tech? or stick with reliable AC tech?

I would forget about the AX routers for now, unless you fancy being a beta tester.

I would also forget about the Asus ROG GT-AC5300 and Netgear XR700 unless you fancy having a router with bugs galore. The latter has only just been released and its firmware is very unstable. Ditto for the ROG except that its been out for donkeys years.

You should seriously consider 2 routers not on your list - Linksys EA9500V2 or Netgear R9000 (X10) - these are powerful routers (the EA9500V2 is similar to the Asus ROG in spec) with rock solid firmware and great wifi coverage. They don't offer advanced features such as VPN server/client like the Asus models but for routing and wifi coverage these 2 models are the dogs you-know-what :)

Thank you for the recommendations :D

I am in Australia and I cannot find Linksys EA9500V2 or Netgear R9000 (X10) on any local sites. I would have to buy from overseas which is risky if I ever need to RMA.

I am kind of leaning towards ASUS RT-AX88U as Merlin is supporting custom firmware for it and I would be looking to just turn off AX wifi as it will not be used yet. I'm still undecided, will do more homework

Are you really pushing over 1Gpbs to/from your Plex server? How many clients are hitting it at one time?

I figure it would be a lot cheaper to just buy a switch to hang off the router. Unlikely you are moving over 1Gpbs between Plex and the wireless and/or Internet. Keep the rest of your traffic local on the switch and all will be good.