What's new

Wireless settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul Costanza

Occasional Visitor
Just upgraded to the ASUS RT-AC87U router and figured if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I should tweak it to the fullest.
My generic questions should I use 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz for the wireless settings and why would I need a guest network in both 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrums? Ok 'need' is not the right word but for home use when friends come by isn't 2.4Ghz just fine?
Right now with a 2 story home and the wireless setting at 2.4Ghz, things are much faster and I think that may be best but as I said, I'd like to get the most out of this router.

Guest SSID in both bands is nice for visitors that have 5GHz in their device. But certainly not essential.

About the only settings that matter (other than WPA2) are auto-channel-select (off, choose your own), and 40MHz mode option (off for 2.4GHz).

That's a lotta bux for a home WiFi router!!

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I had some Amazon points as well as some gift cards and said, WTF, go for it. It is hard to spend that much when a $90 router can do much of the same.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online