What's new

Wireless Signal Coexistence

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fg1234567892000

New Around Here
I currently have a WNR1000v2 and an internet connection of 100 mbps. My current router is supposed to be able to handle up to 150 mbps, however, I've been averaging 56-65 mbps. Little did I know that my router was automatically throttling my bandwidth because of the "'Coexistence Requirement' set forth by Wi-Fi Alliance when operating in dense areas with multiple wireless networks". Is there a router I can buy that will bypass this setting or fix my problem so I can fully use my entire internet data speed?

I currently have a WNR1000v2 and an internet connection of 100 mbps. My current router is supposed to be able to handle up to 150 mbps, however, I've been averaging 56-65 mbps. Little did I know that my router was automatically throttling my bandwidth because of the "'Coexistence Requirement' set forth by Wi-Fi Alliance when operating in dense areas with multiple wireless networks". Is there a router I can buy that will bypass this setting or fix my problem so I can fully use my entire internet data speed?
I think you're talking about coexistence of 802.11b/g/n. This can be within your own SSID if you have a mix. Or it can be neighbors' on other SSIDs on the same channel you are using.

Some routers will use "RTS/CTS" when there is a mix of 11b/g. I'm not sure about a mix of 11g/n. When RTS/CTS is used, it may slow throughput a bit.

You might look for a setting choice in the router where you choose mixed or not. And try turning off "mixed".

Also try changing channels among, 1, 6 and 11.

I'd say your 56-65Mbps is more due to signal strength at the router (from the client) than coexistence.

I'll assume that you are referring to wireless performance and the speed numbers you are quoting are those shown by the Windows connection properties. These are LINK rates and not actual throughput.

The WNR1000 is a single stream N router so will support a maximum 65 Mbps link rate in its default setting. You can raise this to 150 Mbps maximum by changing the wireless Mode setting to "Up to 150 Mbps".

If you want higher link rates, you must use a two-stream router (often referred to as "300 Mbps") and two-stream capable adapters. Even then, actual throughput will not be 100 Mbps. There are no N routers that will support > 100 Mbps wireless performance unless maybe if the client and router are in the same room.

I actually have the router set to "Up to 150 Mbps" and am still being shown a link rate of 65. Am I to understand that even at this setting I will still only get 65 Mbps?

In addition, I'm not sure signal strength is an issue; I am currently writing this less than three feet away from the router and still showing 65 Mbps.

Is my only option to jump for the two-stream "300 Mbps" router?

Check your client settings and make sure that 40 MHz mode (or Auto 20/40) is enabled. 40 MHz bandwidth mode needs to be enabled on both router / AP and client.

Back off to at least 10 feet between client and router. Closer than that and you can overload the receivers, which will give you misleading results.

Check your client settings and make sure that 40 MHz mode (or Auto 20/40) is enabled. 40 MHz bandwidth mode needs to be enabled on both router / AP and client.

Back off to at least 10 feet between client and router. Closer than that and you can overload the receivers, which will give you misleading results.

I don't seem to have a interface button that allows me to change between bandwidth modes.

Moving away from the router, I am still getting the max 65 Mbps.

Assuming Windows, go to the Wireless connection Status window, click Properties, then the Configure button near the top of the window that opens, then the Advanced tab.

I followed your instructions and do not see any setting. Either my card can't handle it or won't let me fiddle around with it. Thanks for the help though