What's new

Wndr3700 does not like powerline feed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BillB

Occasional Visitor
I set up my old Netgear router to act as an AP

Works fine when plugged into the main Uverse router

Works fine at the end of my ethernet run from the Uverse router

Will not accept connections when plugged into the powerline unit upstairs

Stalls ont he "identifying" stage of connection every time

Any ideas???

What is giving you the "identifying" message?

Did you set the IP address of the WNDR3700 to an IP in your LAN's range?
Can you ping the WNDR3700's IP address?

Oops...and the "identifying message " is from win 7 network and sharing center

Tried two other AP's and only one would allow a wireless connection

Can see them on the network map but cannot connect unless I plug them straight into 2wire router or a cat 5 run from it

Fortunately I have a cat5 option that might work instead

Does anything else work when plugged into the powerline adapter?

The IP address of the AP should be in your LAN's IP range, but outside the DHCP server range.

WD Live Hub works great

Sony Bravia TV works fine

Tried plugging routers direct and then plugging other gadgets into ports on router (other gadgets work fine but not router)

Also plugged routers into switch with other gadgets

Others work fine but not routers

Weird

I'm losing track of what is connected to what. But let's make sure we are on the same page.

If you are using a router as an AP, it should have its DHCP server disabled, a static IP assigned that is in your LAN router's IP subnet, but
outside its DHCP server range and a cable from one of its LAN ports to you main router's switch.

In this configuration, routing functions on the "AP" do not work.

I have a powerline feed going to my "entertainment center"

It works fine for my TV and my WDlive Hub

But if I plug an AP into the powerline feed I have problems

If I plug the same AP directly into the router (bypass powerline) they work

This is true for

Wndr3700
DAP-1522
CQR-980

Weird, but I think I have a way to get cat5 to my bedroom which is at the far end of the house and probably an even better spot for the AP.

So while curious, it is not going to continue to ruin my day

What make and model of powerline adapters are you using?

There is a possibility that the adapters don't handle multiple MAC addresses. You could check this by putting a switch at the far end of the powerline connection then, plugging the working devices into the switch at the same time and seeing if they work.

What make and model of powerline adapters are you using?

XAVB101

There is a possibility that the adapters don't handle multiple MAC addresses. You could check this by putting a switch at the far end of the powerline connection then, plugging the working devices into the switch at the same time and seeing if they work.

Currently have both the TV and the WD box plugged into a netgear GB switch and working fine

And how does that address the issue?
It doesn't. Your router is dysfunctional. It's something that was never fixed by Netgear and probably won't. You can either install DD-WRT on it and try to see if that solves your problems or you can just return it for a Linksys E4200.

Feel free to join the many Netgear hate groups on Facebook and warn your friends.

It doesn't. Your router is dysfunctional. It's something that was never fixed by Netgear and probably won't. You can either install DD-WRT on it and try to see if that solves your problems or you can just return it for a Linksys E4200.
What specifically is wrong with the router? It is being used as an AP, so the routing portion really isn't involved.

What specifically is wrong with the router? It is being used as an AP, so the routing portion really isn't involved.
Ok. When it's being used as a AP it still is routing. It's suppose to assign ip addresses and manage network traffic. Instead this POS is not giving you a ip address at all and is not communicating with the node. The node will then give itself a link local ip address (169.). This means your router is completely useless and you have no internet or LAN access. This is what was happening to me and a lot of other people online and I bet you.

When used as an AP, it bridges traffic between wired and wireless network segments. DHCP is handled by the main router, not the AP.

Please refrain from further inflamatory comments in future posts or you will be banned from the forums. We have low tolerance for that here.

When used as an AP, it bridges traffic between wired and wireless network segments. DHCP is handled by the main router, not the AP.

Please refrain from further inflamatory comments in future posts or you will be banned from the forums. We have low tolerance for that here.

I didn't know you have another router managing DHCP. Most people just use a wireless router as a AP if they don't have any wired clients (that handles DHCP). I'm not a mind reader and didn't know your network configuration.

I don't know where your coming from with inflammatory comments. I insulted nothing but Netgear. I was just trying to help you.

Last edited:
If you read the thread, you would understand the problem.

Inflammatory comments, whether directed at people or companies are not tolerated. Make your point without insults.

If you read the thread, you would understand the problem.

Inflammatory comments, whether directed at people or companies are not tolerated. Make your point without insults.
I was just telling you my experience and a big problem with Netgear and why I hate Netgear.