What's new

WRT1900AC Spontaneous Reboots, lockups

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AC and N are different technologies as N and G are. LOL!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

AC and N are different technologies as N and G are. LOL!

I've heard that. However, on some routers the mode setting for wireless isn't 100% respected. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks.

Hey guys, I talked to Sustaining Engineering tonight finally.

She took note of my issue and I passed on several items, including the syseventd memory issue we found in looking at sysinfo.cgi. She said that definitely looks like an issue.

I also gave her my radio configs. They're actively working on the reboot issues that Chadster has been looking at and said my problem is a bit different than the more widely reported reboot issue.

It sounds like a solution is being worked on. ;)

Please stay on topic

This thread is for the spontaneous reboot and lockup problem only. Please start new threads for new problems. I have moved unrelated discussions to their own threads.

Hey Chadster, FYI. 3 weeks and counting...

Code:
UpTime:
 12:41:12 up 21 days, 16:01, load average: 1.23, 1.30, 1.31

Just picked up a Linksys WRT1900AC a couple days ago and at first I was pretty happy with it. Fast and haven't noticed any random disconnects. Anyone noticing when you turn the LED lights off in the GUI and then if you reboot the router the 2.4GHz and 5GHz lights come back on? I also have a external hard drive and printer connected but those lights don't turn on.... So I have to manually shut them off again. I am turning them off just because the router is in my room and I need the room pitch black to sleep! I am noticing this because the lights came back on and I didn't know why. So I test it my self by rebooting with the LED's off and sure enough the lights came back on after rebooting.

On a side note I notice my 5GHz band sucks at a certain range. My HTC One phone can't connect to it at all in certain spots... Weird... Gonna try a few steps list this thread and hopefully it helps.

Scratch that on what I said in my last post... Reading through the Linksys Forum I guess they are aware of this issue but it's a good way to know if the router has rebooted or crashed without looking at sysconfig.cgi. This seems to be common issues on most forums I have been reading with issues of rebooting. Hopefully Linksys comes out with a firmware fix soon... :(

Closing in on one month of trouble-free performance.

Code:
UpTime:
 14:41:43 up 29 days, 18:02, load average: 1.54, 1.35, 1.31

New firmware is out. Looks like it might affect some of us at least.

Code:
Firmware version:	1.1.8.161917
Release date:		July 8, 2014

- UI fix for Secure Folder Access setting
- [B]Integrated a permanent fix for the devidentd bug[/B].
- Updated libupnp to v1.6.19 to address a security vulnerability/CODE]

I got to 59 days of uptime but finally decided to load the new firmware this morning.

Due to various things going on, it took me about 50 minutes to reconfigure the router after resetting to factory defaults. I was in the GUI the whole time and it didn't reboot once.

Overall, several minor GUI bugs like in DHCP reservation seem to be fixed.

I plan on playing around with the Network Map tonight to see if I can get it to reboot. More later.

Well, they definitely did something with devidentd.

Code:
top -bn1
Mem: 70648K used, 180336K free, 0K shrd, 3948K buff, 19476K cached
CPU:  0.0% usr  4.1% sys  0.0% nic 95.8% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.0% sirq
Load average: 1.33 1.34 1.33 1/120 16547
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %MEM CPU %CPU COMMAND
    5     2 root     DW       0  0.0   0  2.7 [kworker/u:0]
16547 16457 root     R     2764  1.1   1  1.3 top -bn1 
  909     1 root     S    95540 37.9   1  0.0 /sbin/syseventd 
 9502     1 root     S    19796  7.8   1  0.0 /sbin/wl_link_status_monitor 
 4943     1 root     S <  19736  7.8   1  0.0 /usr/bin/guardian 
 2690     1 root     S    13020  5.1   1  0.0 /usr/sbin/linkmgr 
 4573     1 root     S     8072  3.2   0  0.0 /usr/bin/redirector 
11827     1 root     S     7120  2.8   1  0.0 /sbin/smbd 
11831 11827 root     S     7120  2.8   1  0.0 /sbin/smbd 
[COLOR="Blue"] 3555     1 root     S     5600  2.2   0  0.0 devidentd -r /tmp/devregex.json -p[/COLOR]
11274     1 root     S     5576  2.2   0  0.0 /sbin/nmbd -D 
 4102     1 root     S     5512  2.1   1  0.0 lighttpd -f /etc/lighttpd.conf

Last edited:
Just spent over an hour poking around in the GUI, editing devices in Network Map, disabling and re-enabling file sharing, etc.

No reboots.

I've been trying to leave myself logged into the GUI but it times out and sends me back to the login screen after a set amount of time. So I'm not able to test that. I wonder if they put in a mandatory timeout to address some of the issues by forcing you to logout and log back in?

I'm pretty confident that the issue is fixed. I've been messing around with all kinds of settings and haven't had a single reboot.

Has this been scrapped?

Just got my first "Reboot" on latest linksys firmware 164461 tonight (router is 3 days old). Switched over to Chadsters 1.0.5 McWRT build and am now facing 2.4 GHZ drop outs.

Nothing too special. In both cases 5GHZ was set to auto and 2.4 is set to auto both using WPA2-Personal.

You feel the unit (hardware revision is defective) or this is a software issues?

@Chadster, lot's of these in the system log:
Dec 14 04:29:43 OpenWrt daemon.warn 6relayd[13941]: Failed to relay to ff02::1%br-lan (Network is unreachable)

Kernel Log (Supressed to these two):
[ 4704.800227] WLAN(wdev0): MLME - Disconnecting (deauth) wireless client: 00ff01ff02ff Reason 7
[ 5011.521715] WLAN(wdev0ap0): MLME - Disconnecting (deauth) wireless client: d89d67355324 Reason 2

Last edited:
Has this been scrapped?

Just got my first "Reboot" on latest linksys firmware 164461 tonight (router is 3 days old). Switched over to Chadsters 1.0.5 McWRT build and am now facing 2.4 GHZ drop outs.

Nothing too special. In both cases 5GHZ was set to auto and 2.4 is set to auto both using WPA2-Personal.

You feel the unit (hardware revision is defective) or this is a software issues?

@Chadster, lot's of these in the system log:
Dec 14 04:29:43 OpenWrt daemon.warn 6relayd[13941]: Failed to relay to ff02::1%br-lan (Network is unreachable)

Kernel Log (Supressed to these two):
[ 4704.800227] WLAN(wdev0): MLME - Disconnecting (deauth) wireless client: 00ff01ff02ff Reason 7
[ 5011.521715] WLAN(wdev0ap0): MLME - Disconnecting (deauth) wireless client: d89d67355324 Reason 2

Are you running the v1.0.5 release image or an image of your own build?

If you previously ran another OpenWRT image then you should clear the overlay directory and reboot/reconfigure. SSH into the router and run the below commands to restore default settings.

rm -rf /overlay/*
reboot

For you initial testing I recommend just changing the router password, SSID's and wireless password. The default wireless security is WPA2.

The 6relayd log entries can be stopped by disabling IPv6 on the LAN or just remove 6relayd.

Development is continuing but mostly toward the first Chaos Calmer release.

FYI: WeMo device's current firmware xxx.7716 is not compatible with OpenWRT wireless.

Last edited:
Your build, unmodified. I noticed another issue after flashing your 1.0.5 build. The router now will only flash to, and boot off of alt_nand. I tried flashing back to stock latest and it went to alt_nand. Then flashed stock n-1 thinking it would overwrite openwrt on the primary. Nope, it flashed again to alt_nand. So then from n-1 I figured surely if I flash latest stock from n-1, of course it will ping pong now to primary. Nope, again back to alt_nand.