What's new

YazFi YazFi - enhanced AsusWRT-Merlin Guest WiFi inc. SSID <-> VPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, is the pihole configured to listen on all interfaces? I'm not overly familiar with the pihole configuration options but that's something I've seen mentioned
That's correct. FWIW, these are the available options and for it to reply to VPN traffic, you have to open it up to all interfaces.

eSPTwe7.png

@Jack Yaz I used your tool for a long time now, it's really really great!
However, my 86U unit meanwhile let me down in wifi performance (0,2-1,5MB/s) for any weird reason. I tried a lot of settings now, but didn't manage to improve the wifi performance at all. I am so frustrated that I decided to use the 86U only to manage the OpenVPN connections and replace it with a better access point solution by unifi.
Now I am wondering if I can isolate the VPNs to a specific LAN port. Not an ip. Reason: unifi USG will have one single IP but via switch accept different switch ports to be isolated and serve as virtual WANs for VLANs. Now I only need to make 86U to route one VPN to one specific LAN port instead of an IP. Isn't this what you already do with your YazFi script? Can this also work for LAN instead of WLAN?

Thanks for the script.

1- Is it normal while using the guest client (with VPN enabled) not to be able to access the router main page? because I tried to access it with no luck.

2- I'm looking for a way to set static IP address for one of the guest network clients. Basically to open port using the router WAN page for the specified client guest device. Is that possible?

Thanks for the script.

1- Is it normal while using the guest client (with VPN enabled) not to be able to access the router main page? because I tried to access it with no luck.

2- I'm looking for a way to set static IP address for one of the guest network clients. Basically to open port using the router WAN page for the specified client guest device. Is that possible?
You're in a VPN, dude.
Both your questions show that you didn't get that part yet ;)

Maybe check out this resource for help

Thanks for the script.

1 - Guests are prevented from accessing the router (it's a limited guest network - why would you want to allow guests to access the router?)

2 - Not within the script, but can be achieved in dnsmasq.conf.add and the dhcp-host directive

1 - Guests are prevented from accessing the router (it's a limited guest network - why would you want to allow guests to access the router?)

2 - Not within the script, but can be achieved in dnsmasq.conf.add and the dhcp-host directive

Thank you Jack. I found the script approach for specifying DHCP quite complicated hoping to see that changes in the future. Regarding accessing the router page via guest network, this is for an exclusive VPN network switch network that is not shared as a guest and has LAN control fully activated except for the router's page :)

Thanks,

YazFi is great! Thanks!

I'm having a problem with my PIA tunnels getting reset (ping-restart) periodically. I'm tweeking OpenVPN settings to try and get this to stop... But the YazFi related problem is that when a tunnel resets this way, the clients are still connected to wifi, but they do not have access to the vpn until I pull up YazFi and re-apply the settings. This resets everything and the clients can reconnect. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
Wanted to thank you for this script, it's solved one of the biggest issues I'm having and I'm glad I stumbled on this.

One question as I haven't read through the 40+ pages yet: Is there any way for devices connected to the VPN guest network to see devices on the WAN network? How do I go about doing that?

YazFi is great! Thanks!

I'm having a problem with my PIA tunnels getting reset (ping-restart) periodically. I'm tweeking OpenVPN settings to try and get this to stop... But the YazFi related problem is that when a tunnel resets this way, the clients are still connected to wifi, but they do not have access to the vpn until I pull up YazFi and re-apply the settings. This resets everything and the clients can reconnect. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Ah - the easiest way for now is to duplicate the YazFi line from firewall-start to openvpn-event

Wanted to thank you for this script, it's solved one of the biggest issues I'm having and I'm glad I stumbled on this.

One question as I haven't read through the 40+ pages yet: Is there any way for devices connected to the VPN guest network to see devices on the WAN network? How do I go about doing that?
What do you mean by the WAN network, please?

Finally hoped on the guest wifi train. Guess this means its time to change the house wifi password to a new one and force the summer babysitter onto the guest. ;) Thanks for this @Jack Yaz

Edit: @Jack Yaz, will I need to reconfigure any of the settings if I turn the guest Wifi On and Off as needed. My OCD won't allow me to keep a Guest network on without a guest at the house. :confused:o_O

Last edited:
Finally hoped on the guest wifi train. Guess this means its time to change the house wifi password to a new one and force the summer babysitter onto the guest. ;) Thanks for this @Jack Yaz

Edit: @Jack Yaz, will I need to reconfigure any of the settings if I turn the guest Wifi On and Off as needed. My OCD won't allow me to keep a Guest network on without a guest at the house. :confused:o_O
The only setting would probably be whether the guest is enabled in yazfi or not. I think it'll error if YazFi tries to enable a guest that's not enabled in the firmware

The only setting would probably be whether the guest is enabled in yazfi or not. I think it'll error if YazFi tries to enable a guest that's not enabled in the firmware
IIRC, it didn't errror in previous versions. I haven't turned off my guest network in a while now though, so I don't know if it does now. Easy to test, but I'm at work. :-(

Thanks, gonna play with it this weekend and see. Would be cool if all I had to turn off and on was guest in firmware. Will report back what I find or notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far it looks like once I put all the settings I want initially and then into Yazi, I can just turn the guest wifi on and off as needed and it keeps the intended settings. Ya! Thanks!