What's new

Advice Needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry to disappoint, but it doesn't.
I have Gigabit internet and I can't go higher than 948 Mbps due to the equipment used by the company that owns the network.

I can. I can get just over 1GB on my WiFi 6E devices. But I don't live in Canada is it? So yes it does. In fact I was advised they set the speeds just above 1GB.

IMG_0130.jpeg

iPad Pro M2 on TP Link BE65 WiFi 6E on my 1GB fibre connection. And it does that all day long.

I can. I can get just over 1GB on my WiFi 6E devices. But I don't live in Canada is it? So yes it does. In fact I was advised they set the speeds just above 1GB.
I don't live in Canada either...
I guess your provider has better switches. My router has two 2.5 Gbps ports
I'm on "open" fibre, so it doesn't belong to my ISP.

16211606747.png

I don't live in Canada either...
I guess your provider has better switches. My router has two 2.5 Gbps ports
I'm on "open" fibre, so it doesn't belong to my ISP.

16211606747.png

Still, cannot complain about that speed! My ONT has a 10GB port, optimistic lol, although providers here in the UK are offering faster speeds, I think one or two offers 5 or 10GB possibly? It is extremely limited in its catchment area and of course costs a fortune to have. The fastest the main providers have gone to so far is 1.6 or 1.8GB.

I have booked a session with TP Link engineers for Wednesday, I’ll decide what to do next based on that. I am thinking of getting one of those Ubiquiti devices to test, it’s cheap enough and if it works I can always use my Eero Pro 6 till I get another router and access points etc.

Main issue with the ISP router is it only has gigabit ports, so it doesn’t get that overhead allowed, for instance with the TP Link it has all 2.5GB ports, and with its 6GHZ radio my WiFi 6E devices can hit just over a gigabit. May be silly but still.

I am going to give TP Link a chance to resolve it (I picked up another set and should have a bit of time before the return window closes). But if they can’t I was thinking of this MikroTik:

http://mikrotik.com/product/rb5009upr_s_in#fndtn-specifications or maybe the none POE model.

I was also looking at this Ubiquiti:

Then have a second switch or router at the top of my stairs, I have a cat 6 run from where the main router is in the hallway to the landing where the second router is. I would then have most likely Alta Labs AP’s:

As with this setup there will be a 1 GB port limit somewhere in the link so no point in using WiFi 6E access points?
I’ve used Ubiquiti before, just not Mikrotik, I don’t mind researching how to configure it as I did that with Ubiquiti anyway, although Ubiquiti does have a bit of a more user friendly interface. Or just forget IPV6 as you suggested as I do prefer the all in one Mesh system solution.
Have you looked at Cisco small business and Pfsense? I would choose it over Mikrotik any day. I prefer to use IPv4.
Cisco small business will be easier to setup than Mikrotik. There are GUIs in the Cisco small business network products to make it easier to set up and maintain.

Have you looked at Cisco small business and Pfsense? I would choose it over Mikrotik any day. I prefer to use IPv4.
Cisco small business will be easier to setup than Mikrotik. There are GUIs in the Cisco small business network products to make it easier to set up and maintain.

Nope never considered Cisco. May take a look, but I have used Ubiquiti before. I'll take a look but aren't Cisco expensive?

Not if you're rich. ;)

Still, cannot complain about that speed! My ONT has a 10GB port, optimistic lol, although providers here in the UK are offering faster speeds, I think one or two offers 5 or 10GB possibly? It is extremely limited in its catchment area and of course costs a fortune to have. The fastest the main providers have gone to so far is 1.6 or 1.8GB.
No ONT here, just an Ethernet jack to which I connect my router to. This is from before we moved in. Got a switch on the "shelf" and then ran the incoming port to a network jack and then the other side to the router. Luckily each Ethernet outlet has two ports, I then ran it back to the cabinet and the switch from the LAN side 2.5 Gbps port and connected it to the switch, which I then connected to the rest of the ports.

Last time we lived in the UK I had BT, some kind of asymmetrical fibre service that topped out at 300 Mbps, but we didn't go over 200 Mbps. It was pretty rubbish and you had to use their router, which was also rubbish.

You can get 10 Gbps here from some service providers, but not where we live.

1715010665588.png

I have booked a session with TP Link engineers for Wednesday, I’ll decide what to do next based on that. I am thinking of getting one of those Ubiquiti devices to test, it’s cheap enough and if it works I can always use my Eero Pro 6 till I get another router and access points etc.
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Well TP Link did a remote access session, and give them their due they spent a good 2 and a half hours capturing packets, running commands and scripts, they identified the problem, basically my ISP has a weird IPV6 configuration lol, but they will make firmware to,support it but they will take a few weeks. So,I’m split weather to keep the system or get send it back and try that new little Ubiquiti gateway.

The weird IPv6 configuration thing is very much a UK thing - though mine seems to work just fine. BT's use of massive parts of the reserved IPv4 estate is annoying and head-scratching. Even my Netatmo heating controllers connect to a server in the 10.x.x.x range!
*At least BT no longer seem to be just randomly changing the IPv6 address even though the IPv4 address has not changed.
**You have to wonder if the Squirrel tech guy is using a Mikrotik router and Ubiquity APs, is that because Mikrotik APs are maybe not the best - as someone who only stuck with Asus because a GT-AX6000 fell into my lap for a bargain price about a week after launch, but my plan had been to get a Mikrotik router and APs!

The weird IPv6 configuration thing is very much a UK thing - though mine seems to work just fine. BT's use of massive parts of the reserved IPv4 estate is annoying and head-scratching. Even my Netatmo heating controllers connect to a server in the 10.x.x.x range!
*At least BT no longer seem to be just randomly changing the IPv6 address even though the IPv4 address has not changed.
**You have to wonder if the Squirrel tech guy is using a Mikrotik router and Ubiquity APs, is that because Mikrotik APs are maybe not the best - as someone who only stuck with Asus because a GT-AX6000 fell into my lap for a bargain price about a week after launch, but my plan had been to get a Mikrotik router and APs!

I remember IPV6 being a bit of a nightmare on BT back in the day. But it seemed to be their Home Hubs I think?
TP Link said my new ISP doesn't send out RA IPV6 packets periodically which is causing the issue.

I am split on weather to keep the TP Link, I mean I was very impressed with the way they remote dialled in to run diagnostics and find what the issue was, but it's a lot of money and I do like the Ubiquiti Gateway Ultra and it's only a hundred quid, plus I can buy the AP's when I have the money to, but that's not on sale till end of June. I need a new computer and the TP Link money would help with that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!