What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It did use to blink slightly I admit, but personally it doesn't bother me, and anyway I don't think it's something @RMerlin can fix, the problem is most likely inside the closed source components.

Blinking is done by the driver. You can select through different blink methods, but that would require access to Broadcom's SDK to know how to configure it.

I'm sticking to Asus's own configuration there.

Thank you Merlin for your great FW

Just upgraded to .59 and AICloud app can't connect to router but connecting with browser works fine. I don't know if this is a problem with app, stock FW or Merlin FW. Anybody facing same issue?

I have same problem

Since I have no idea how Astrill's plugin work, I can't guess what could break it. They will have to troubleshoot it on their end now that the firmware is out of beta.
Hi, Tomas from Astrill here. I found mod_cgi was removed and our plugin requires this to function. Any chance of bringing it back? I couldnt find it in any changelog, no idea why and when it was removed. I would also like to assure all our users that we do not sit around with hands down our pockets and we are testing this problem and working on a fix.

So, messages
"
May 11 23:48:28 syslog: Error 111 un-locking, proceeding anyway
May 11 23:48:38 syslog: Error 115 un-locking, proceeding anyway
"
in system log, is what about???

Never seen before (87U, upgraded from .58)

Hi ppl! I'm new here, so U know...

My h/w RT-AC87U - Only a few of my observations after upgrade to .59 and reboot:
1. I lost my DHCP IP (manual) binding list - is empty.
2. I lost my WiFi ACL MAC list - both 2,4 and 5GHz - are empty.
3. On Tool page - no switch information - only orange "querying switch" and nothing more.
4. On WiFi WPS page - swich in "on" position, even though it was previously switched off.
5. Index page shows under the icon the number of connected clients, but after opening the client list is empty (both: by interface and normal).
6 Slow interface, but this is no problem.

After noticing problems I restored my router configuration from the backup file. All problems still here.

I restored (flashback) to .58. After reboot all config options were correct (without restore configuration backup from backup file).

For now, I have to stay with version .58

But... without taking into account the last version of firmware... good work RMerlin!

Regards! Petr.

--edit--
OMG! All 6 problems gone after aprox. 1h router working with .59 and no config changes! Now, after reboot I see all problems again. Will check after another hour.

Last edited:
Upgraded from 58 to 59. I did this remotely. After reboot I had access for about 3 mins then nothing. But it is ok on LAN on further inspection the VSERVER port mapping and several upnp port mappings seem to be non functional - despite them appearing on the port mapping page. Reboot hasn't fixed.

--edit--
Weirdly if I connect using https against the external IP address it all works ok, if I connect using the dns name it fails. If I ping the dns name the IP address resolves ok. Weird! (I am doing this test from a work machine and my cell phone).

Last edited:
Can confirm that what was a slow GUI yesterday is now a 100% normal speed GUI - RMerlin mentioned this in a post on page 3, and he is - of course and as usual - 100% correct. Something needs to be done in the background and after a while everything goes as it should.

100% happy :)

Now let's see if my OpenVPN challenge will return, or if that is also magically gone :)

I have a AC3200 and it disconnects my computers several times a day. That started to happen after 378.56.
What can I do for to find the root cause?

Michael

Astrill applet is no longer loading for me (RT-AC56U). I can see it on the left side menu but once you click on it there is no content in the iframe, it looks like blank page (Safari) or unable to connect under Firefox. It was working properly before 380.59. Any idea what could have been possibly "improved" by Asus that it doesn't work properly now?

EDIT: I see now, Merlin wrote here why it is not working. I submitted the ticket to Astrill, we will see. I have however already submitted it to them while on Beta2 and they said since it is beta perhaps something was broken with the FW. We will see how quickly and if they can fix it.

They have a new release; 2.9.9. Haven't tried it w/ the .59 release so I don't know if it works.

Edit: Just saw the post above from Astrill. It appears they have a challenge.

Last edited:
ac66u no problems so far but on chrome(latest update) theres a blue bar(usage meter afaik) going across screen under the usb icon when theres a device plugged in but not on firefox, minor i know.
was not there in 380.58

merlin_blue_bar2.jpg

Anyone still running or happen to know the difference in the Qauntenna firmware version between .58 and .59 on the 87U

.59 is Quantenna Firmware 37.4.0.56

380.59 is finally doing good on both my RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200 routers (no more bad crashes and huge network monitor spikes, see my posts on the 380.58 thread).

ac66u no problems so far but on chrome(latest update) theres a blue bar(usage meter afaik) going across screen under the usb icon when theres a device plugged in but not on firefox, minor i know.
was not there in 380.58

merlin_blue_bar2.jpg

I had that in 380.59 beta 1 but it's no longer there in the the latest release. I always do a NVRAM clear and factory reset after all f/w updates.

I have just updated my RT-AC88U from .58 to .59 and the interface runs like a dog. I am using Chrome, my default browser.

It's so bad, I have flashed back to .58
For the record ASUS stock 378. 9533 has intermittent slow UI issues randomly as well. Seems it gets bad then all of a sudden works fine without doing anything. Also see page 3 post from RMerlin.

Last edited:
Upgraded today RT-n66u 380_59 Has made the connection unstable Constant Drop Outs with Internet connection Had to revert back to 380_58
May want to checkout Johns fork for the N66. The word is that is the best FW for that model.

Hi, Tomas from Astrill here. I found mod_cgi was removed and our plugin requires this to function. Any chance of bringing it back? I couldnt find it in any changelog, no idea why and when it was removed. I would also like to assure all our users that we do not sit around with hands down our pockets and we are testing this problem and working on a fix.

Asus upgraded lighttpd to a newer version with GPL 2697, it's possible they removed the modules they didn't need, for security reasons (as lighttpd is only used for AiCloud). I'll have to check if it's possible to re-enable it.

May 11 23:48:28 syslog: Error 111 un-locking, proceeding anyway

No idea what that message is, or what it refers to.

Anyone still running or happen to know the difference in the Qauntenna firmware version between .58 and .59 on the 87U

MU-MIMO support. They might have also (finally?) resolved the power drain issues with Android devices.

Missed in the Changelog:

OpenSSL was updated to 1.0.2h.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!