What's new

Need help with cert and DDNS...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
I originally setup 384.14 beta 2 on my RT-AC86U with a local self-signed certificate for managing from the LAN side via HTTPS. No issues there.

However, now I want to enable DDNS and I'm having issues. Here's the log output:

Dec 4 15:38:42 inadyn[485]: In-a-dyn version 2.5 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec 4 15:38:42 inadyn[485]: Failed resolving hostname htismaqe.asuscomm.com: Name or service not known
Dec 4 15:38:42 inadyn[485]: Update forced for alias htismaqe.asuscomm.com, new IP# x.x.x.x
Dec 4 15:38:43 inadyn[485]: Certificate verification error:num=10:certificate has expired:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com
Dec 4 15:38:45 inadyn[485]: Authentication failure
Dec 4 15:38:45 inadyn[485]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Dec 4 15:38:45 inadyn[485]: [401 |Authorization failed]
Dec 4 15:38:45 inadyn[485]: Error response from DDNS server, exiting!
Dec 4 15:38:45 inadyn[485]: Error code 48: DDNS server response not OK

I figured something about the self-signed certificate was causing it, so I disabled DDNS, and set it up this time with Let's Encrypt. It still doesn't work. The Status field is stuck "Updating" and I keep getting the same errors in the log.

I removed HTTPS management, reset it to HTTP. Removed the existing certificate (by clicking "None" under DDNS). Went through the whole process again and now the Status is stuck on "Authorizing".

Dec 4 15:38:45 inadyn[485]: [401 |Authorization failed]

It means either your MAC has changed (for instance if that DDNS was configured on a different router), or the secret_code is missing.

Check the content of /etc/inadyn.conf.

I've never used DDNS before so it's not that.

There's no "secret_code" in the conf file. I masked out the MAC address (but did verify it was correct) and changed the password. The hostname is the actual one I'm using however.

iterations = 1
provider update@asus.com {
hostname = htismaqe.asuscomm.com
username = "FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF"
password = "12345678"
checkip-command = "/bin/nvram get wan0_ipaddr"
}
secure-ssl = false

I've never used DDNS before so it's not that.

There's no "secret_code" in the conf file. I masked out the MAC address (but did verify it was correct) and changed the password. The hostname is the actual one I'm using however.

iterations = 1
provider update@asus.com {
hostname = htismaqe.asuscomm.com
username = "FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF"
password = "12345678"
checkip-command = "/bin/nvram get wan0_ipaddr"
}
secure-ssl = false

The password is the secret_code (it's the name of the nvram containing that value).

No idea why it would fail registering a new account then.

I recommend using a different DDNS provider. Asus DDNS has had a few outages over the years.

Right now I am able to update an existing record, but trying to register a new domain with it keeps failing with an authorization failed. Could be something on their end, or something changed in the registration API.

Are there any other free ones? I'm just playing around right now, don't want to pay for something I might not end up using.

Nevermind, in searching the forums for answers, I found that several people recommend Afraid so I signed up for the free tier to try it out.

I switched from no-ip to afraid here, since I got tired of monthly revalidation. Afraid is natively supported by Asuswrt-Merlin since the switch to inadyn.

Regarding Asus DDNS, I just ran various tests, and it seems right now updating works, but registering new domains fails - even with the stock firmware client. Issue is therefore server-side.

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-FEF8:/tmp/home/root# /tmp/ez-ipupdate -S dyndns -i eth0 -h merlintestdom.asuscomm.com -A 2 -s nwsrv-ns1.asus.com
ez-ipupdate Version 3.0.11b5
Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Angus Mackay.
asus_private() interface =eth0
read_input ret: 1
read_input ret: 1
Authentication failure

However updating an already registered domain on that same router works fine.

Last edited:
Afraid is pretty awesome for what I want. Simple and free. Only took me a couple minutes to setup.