What's new

Openvpn speeds, second core openvpn code on RT-AC87U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rango

Hello my friends. I am looking to upgrade my router to either ac-87u or ac-68u but i'm leaning towards 87 due to 1Ghz processor for open vpn speeds. I saw some ppl overclocking it with usb cooler to 1.4Ghz and no issues.

Here is my question tho. From what i've read Merlin implemented code where vpn code would go to second core with potential 50-100% vpn speed increase. Now that's from like i hope 30 to 60mbps i hope.

So is that the case for 87u router where code gets moved to core2 and is anyone running it currently and can tell me speeds roughly i should expect. I currently have r-66u on open vpn, i'm pulling 10-12Mbps speeds on 90/12 comcast service. I'm targeting if i can 60Mbps plus i hope with the code change.

Please Merlin, John, guys let me know if i'm being realistic or is that pipe dream or if should perhaps implement better solution. Getting software running on my desktop would also be possibility. That desktop tho would also be my mane pc so not sure if that would work well. I have 3 clients desktop, laptop and android phone and looking not to run software on all three. Router seems like great idea but cpu limitations so what should i expect from new code move and 87u overclocked ?

Will N wifi card (intel) work on 5ghz band or only 2Ghz band?
Are 5Ghz issue resolved by now with firmware update?
Thank you in advance.

Look for an RT-AC68U version C1 (much more stable than the '87U and same 1GHz processor speed).

I would not bet on a 60Mbps VPN speed on those routers. Your desktop could max out your ISP given the right configuration.

Depends on what WiFi card you have. Some are limited to the 2.4GHz band. Cannot tell by just knowing it is an 'N' card (Intel or otherwise).

What 5GHz issues are you asking about specifically?

Thanks brother. The only reason i'm considering 87u is cause i found it for $150 and it can be stably overclocked to 1.4Ghz where 68u is stock 800mhz so maybe OC 1-1.2 Ghz stable. Extra 200mhz may be very helpful in computing. Dunno maybe someone has it on vpn? Price i found 20$ more so maybe worth it. Just reading some stability issues. Not sure if new firmware addressed it yet?

http://www.asus.com/us/site/routers/DD-WRT/

Hi,

i am using RT87U with open vpn clocked without cooling to 1200mhz without problems.
i am on a 50mbit line and i am getting max 45mbits with bfc 128, but should be the same with aes 256, because of the well done aes implementation i read .
both cores are used i think, both wifis are ready
before i use a netgear 6300v2 clocked to 1200 (only one wifi activated) , giving me 35mbit ... (just for Information)

You got me interested now ...lol.....seems like 10% which is perfect. I wonder if it can pull 80Mbps on 90mps line with 128AES
I'm assuming you're running lastest merlin firmware? How is your cpu utilization percentage when running openvpn, like at 90% or less?

from my Point it is not only the cpu it is the whole machine which should be handle it ...
i am in Germany, where ist no RT88U right now or ist very expensive ... (got my 87u for 130 € minus 20€ chashback actually), which should be faster ...

running 380.57
cpu should be 50% , but the machine (in Linux Terms) is 1-2, means occupied ...
maybe this is interesting for u:
https://support.nvpn.net/index.php?.../how-to-setup-with-merlin-asus-based-firmware

Thanks guys i really appreciate the feedback and link.

Which vpn provider you are running if you don't mind me asking?

With my old AC66 I can hit 15 MBps at full cpu load (non OC'ed), my newer AC87U, I hit some times 45MBps (non OC'ed) at CPU load 75% avg, with cooler on the backside.
Without VPN I hit 150MBps. I use IPV.

Thanks mate. I just purchased it. $160-50$ credit from am exp on first purchase - $50 for n66u i will sell on ebay. That's $60 for Ac87u. Can't beat that :)

I think I read in Merlin's changelog that when you set the VPN clients 1-5 on Merlin that the uneven numbers 1,3,5 use CPU core 1 and the even ones (2,4) use core 2 for the VPN. I switched my config to client 4 (core 2) and it got a nice boost.

There is also the issue of which encryption to use, and which protocol. Many software clients on the 3rd party providers use their own protocols, which might affect performance. I use only the OpenVPN protocol, so either on the router or use clients, such as Viscosity or Tunnelblick, or the OpenVPN client itself, e.g. the OpenVPN app on the iPhone.

In my limited experience as one user who played with a few routers, different firmware, and settings, I have not seen higher speeds than about 45 Mbps down with any router yet, and I tried many. Nothing beats a software client running on an actual machine.

For routers, AsusWRT/Merlin/Vortex seems faster with the VPN client than Tomato and DD-WRT, especially now that I moved it to client 2 or 4.

I have a 150+ Mbit/s connection, and I have seen roughly the following:
E3000 (Tomato) ~ 8Mbit/s (all default, which is Blowfish I believe)
N66U (Tomato) ~ 12-15 Mbit/s (all default, which is Blowfish I believe)
AC68U (Tomato) ~ 25 Mbit/s (all default, which is Blowfish I believe)
R7000 (Tomato, DD-WRT) ~ 35 Mbit/s (all default, which is Blowfish I believe)
R7000 (Merlin/Vortex) and OC'd @ 1400 ~ 40-45 Mbit/s (AES 128 CBC)

This is all tested with PIA and nearest server. With Viscosity software on a 4 year old PC I reach 150+.

Edit: just tested my new AC88U, this beast seems to get a much higher VPN throughput. Stock speed running 1400 mhz, latest Merlin, but looks I am getting 69-ish, almost breaking 70 Mbit/s. I guess 1400mhz might not always be the same.

Last edited:
Kamaaina thank you sir for good explanation. I'm happy vpn is running on seperate core as it's taxing on the cpu. Thanks again. I got myself 87u so we'll see how she performs.

Edit: just tested my new AC88U, this beast seems to get a much higher VPN throughput. Stock speed running 1400 mhz, latest Merlin, but looks I am getting 69-ish, almost breaking 70 Mbit/s. I guess 1400mhz might not always be the same.

Thanks!
Hmm, AC88 price is above my budget, but when it drops...
But it's good to know that it hit almost twice the VPN speed, because I was uncertain of the preformance, or regulated by ISP/VPN service provider.

I have an AC68P (same 1.0GHz processor as 87U, overclocked to 1.2 GHz). Base service is 50/5, but usually speedtests at about 58-59/4-5 (upload limited by Q0S, without QoS at about 7)

This is with VPN active with AES-256-CBC encryption, QoS active.

4993798449.png

Thanks John for feedback. Who is your vpn provider? I have 90/12 mbps isp service so i'm hoping i get get vpn to 85-80 mbps on 87u router overclocked to 1200mhz, maybe 1400.
I thought 68 had 800mhz and 87 has 1o00mhz. From specs it shows different broadcom chip. Is asus just overclocking 4708 chip then and branding it 4709?

ASUS RT-AC68U Broadcom BCM4708 - dual core, 800 MHz

ASUS RT-AC87U Broadcom BCM4709 - dual core, 1 GHz

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/othe...-up-and-using-openvpn-on-asus-routers?start=2

Thanks John for feedback. Who is your vpn provider? I have 90/12 mbps isp service so i'm hoping i get get vpn to 85-80 mbps on 87u router overclocked to 1200mhz, maybe 1400.
I thought 68 had 800mhz and 87 has 1o00mhz. From specs it shows different broadcom chip. Is asus just overclocking 4708 chip then and branding it 4709?

ASUS RT-AC68U Broadcom BCM4708 - dual core, 800 MHz

ASUS RT-AC87U Broadcom BCM4709 - dual core, 1 GHz

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/othe...-up-and-using-openvpn-on-asus-routers?start=2
Mine is a 68P, not 68U, but I got similar results on my previous 68U overclocking to the same 1200MHz.
My sense is the best you are going to see is maybe in the low 60s with the 87U.

I'm on Private Internet Acess (PIA).

Thanks John much appriciate your feedback. Links are great. I had no clue 68p and u are different. Hope i won't have issues with 87u, being new and bugs and stuff but i'm willing to give a shot.

Thanks!
Hmm, AC88 price is above my budget, but when it drops...
But it's good to know that it hit almost twice the VPN speed, because I was uncertain of the preformance, or regulated by ISP/VPN service provider.
Actually wondering now if that was a fluke. I opened the box a few days ago and just setup the VPN and got almost 70, 5 times within an hour. Now made it the main router with all the config from scratch and cannot get past 50. I will keep experimenting over the weekend. It's above my budget too, but Newegg had a combo bundle with modem and rebate, so hopefully under $180 when the dust settles.

Anyway, found this again in the latest Merlin changelog for 380.57:
FIXED: Openvpn clients 3 through 5 were all run on the first
CPU core. They are now properly alternated like the
first two (odd on CPU1, even on CPU0)

Assuming CPU0 is the default (since it's not 2) then one should probably move the VPN onto client1??? Kinda confused with 1,0 instead of 1,2. Which core is the one that has to do the main work with the regular routing?

Last edited:
Let me read the change log bud but when some refers in IT world to cpu 1 and cpu2, cpu 1 is cpu0 and cpu 2 is cpu 1.
If you're importing vpn files just import two profiles and test but i think i have to read change log to see which cpu one would to move it to to use vpn 100% on that core

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!