What's new

These types of Apple devices/services should be outlawed. No security fix is available at all

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This article suggests that you can opt out of participating in the Find My network:

(Although "participating in the Find My network" might have multiple interpretations)

PS: Find My is not limited to AirTags; it also used to track iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, AirPods, and Macs.

Right, they tie it to a critical function like finding your lost or stolen phone....

What we can do about people using technology or tools against other people?

Why is your solution related to the technology when obviously it's never the issue?
Because you can't control people, so you try to control the tool (same for all the analogies we've already mentioned, murder is illegal but we still need to regulate guns).

I'm an industrial electronics engineer. Working on SKK - Smart Kitchen Knife. It will come with microphone, accelerometer and eSIM for only $199. If SKK detects an argument and unexpected fast forward motion - 120dB alarm will sound and it will call 911 automatically reporting potential murder.

It's an ages old debate. They've tried to pass laws to make guns only work with a fingerprint or stamp a serial number on every bullet fired, it was not realistic and won't happen. For a long time in Chicago handguns we're totally illegal yet they had the highest (either raw or per capital, can't remember which) handgun murder rate in the country.

Just because there is no 100% solution, doesn't mean we just give up and let it be a free for all. Outlawing airtags is a non starter, but ignoring the reality that they are now a big safety concern isn't a solution either.

but ignoring the reality that they are now a big safety concern

The reality - they are not. There is much more dangerous technology around. People die from car accidents every day in your city including people who own no car nor hold a driver licence. Legally owning a gun is very complicated in most countries. In the USA you can get one from Walmart. Are tracker tags your problem? When you solve successfully the guns problem in your own country then worry about tracker tags around people who can't afford a smartphone worldwide. Lead by example. I wish you good luck.

Most of these sh!tposts by @L&LD are designed to be inflammatory in nature. Post a link to a news-like article, preface it with an opinionated headline, and wait for everyone else to take the clickbait. Circular discussions, "strawman" accusations, etc.

Really starting to hate this place.

Hmm, societal engineering, it's all getting very "Brave New World" in here!

Most of these sh!tposts by @L&LD are designed to be inflammatory in nature. Post a link to a news-like article, preface it with an opinionated headline, and wait for everyone else to take the clickbait. Circular discussions, "strawman" accusations, etc.

Mixed feelings here - it can lead to good discussion, however, things can either go circular or go completely off the rails...

Have to admit though - it's been much more entertaining than somethings Asus Router having issues with VPN, AIMesh, or some IoT thing that generally dominates the board discussion here...

The reality - they are not. There is much more dangerous technology around. People die from car accidents every day in your city including people who own no car nor hold a driver licence. Legally owning a gun is very complicated in most countries. In the USA you can get one from Walmart. Are tracker tags your problem? When you solve successfully the guns problem in your own country then worry about tracker tags around people who can't afford a smartphone worldwide. Lead by example. I wish you good luck.

Eh, its the same argument gun people make - but cars kill more people. Nuclear bombs can kill more than both. It isn't a competition, each thing can be handled independently.

In most cases buying a gun from walmart is pretty difficult, they need to verify your license, run a background check, etc. Some states are more lax than others but the federal requirements apply regardless. Gun shows are where it can be much easier.

Tracking tags around people that can't afford a smartphone is kind of the point. Those are the ones that would have no reason to think a smartphone is tracking them, when in fact it still can.

@dave14305, your perception of my posts, including this one, is not the reality.

You haven't contributed anything here on this thread except your hate. Leave. There's enough of your attitude without you here.

This isn't clickbait. These are real people I'm talking about here. Maybe go read about it before attacking the messenger.

If you don't want to contribute anything else @sfx2000, nobody is asking you to stay.

There are others who may have a point to share though.

If you don't want to contribute anything else @sfx2000, nobody is asking you to stay.

I think we've gone around the horn - and any further discussion is just going to get into a space where it doesn't add much...

Don't be a spicy kitten...

Just saying...

You haven't contributed anything here on this thread except your hate. Leave. There's enough of your attitude without you here.
@L&LD As I've told you multiple times, you are not a forum moderator. No one has the right to tell someone to leave a thread except the mods. And, please, don't bother with the usual "tell me what I did" Conversation.

All, when threads go "off the rails" or devolve into a never ending round of "you are"..."no, you are", then I suggest you use the very effective method of not responding. That's what I do. And there's always the "Ignore" button.

@thiggins, no, this time I did ask them to leave. Because of their personal and unwarranted attack, which still wasn't removed. Nor was anyone else's post that contained personal attacks either. This, I do not understand.

I bring forward a topic that deserves to be participated in without the usual shade and negativity from the same few people. I thought I had your support on that. Not as a 'friend', but as a moderator.

I'm trying to discuss a topic here that I believe in. If others can't make their point, and/or move their discussion forward without hateful attacks, that is not on me. And, you've told me before to deal with it myself, yet, you allow little room to do so.

I do appreciate you and these forums and the information we can share using it. Thank you.

And for the record, I didn't ask the person to leave, I asked the hateful attitude to leave. Even if my wording suggests otherwise. English is not my first language, as you may recall.

Last edited:

Posts like this don't help.

Holy moly. Is someone being obtuse on purpose? I kid, a bit.

Haven't you seen any Star Trek!?

Effin eh.

"3. Ethical and Moral Reflection
Star Trek has also served as a lens through which to examine complex ethical and moral dilemmas. Episodes often confronted issues like racism, war, diplomacy, and the consequences of unchecked technology. By addressing these topics in a science fiction context, the series encouraged viewers to reflect on their own values and the direction of society.

The Prime Directive, a guiding principle for Starfleet, emphasizes non-interference in the development of less advanced civilizations. This concept has sparked discussions about the responsibilities of advanced societies in our world, particularly in relation to environmental and cultural preservation."

Technology needs to evolve hand in hand with humanities Morals.

The power people currently can use, exploit with Air Tags, is too much power! That is what people are saying.

Some take it as "outlaw trackers" sheesh

Edit:

Get with the effin Prime Directive

The Prime Directive, a guiding principle for Starfleet, emphasizes non-interference in the development of less advanced civilizations. This concept has sparked discussions about the responsibilities of advanced societies in our world, particularly in relation to environmental and cultural preservation."

Yeah, but in canon, the prime directive was treated like a much abused step-child...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!