What's new

Weird issue with an GT-AX6000 when maxing out ISP provided speeds.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quetz

New Around Here
Hello all. I recently retired a TP-link c7 1750 that i had put open wrt on it. I started having radio shutdowns, its an old router so i decided to search for something new. After reading and watching reviews, i decided to get the ASUS GT-AX6000.

I've noticed that when i max out my ISP download speeds, i loose connection on all devices.
For example:
I download a game from steam, steam shows that i download the game at 100mbits (the max i'm currently getting from my ISP) and everything else stops. I can't open a web page on my phone until the game finished downloading. The request just timeouts. Youtube seems to be able to load the video titles and metadata, but it can't show the thumbnail images of the videos. I can put a download limit in steam but this won't fix my problem.

Example two:
I'm in VRchat. I'm in a group with 10 people and someone joins the lobby. I have to download their avatar, if their avatar is 100 mb, this takes 10 seconds on 100mbit download speed. While this is happening, i loose everything. Everyone freezes for me. I don't hear their voices, its like i loose internet connection, but i continue downloading the avatar. This is really annoying as every time someone joins or someone switches to another avatar i freeze. People tell me that they can see me moving, and talking, but i don't see or hear them. I did not have this before.

My setup is this. ISP router => connected via wire to the AX6000 (first floor) => wired shield tv, wired ISP internet TV box, wired basic TP-Link 1Gbit switch that is on the second floor. On the second floor i have my PC connected via wire and a NAS server to the switch.

The firmware on the AX6000 is 3.0.0.4.386_47039. I don't have anything enabled. No game acceleration features, no AI stuff, no nothing.
I do have static IPs for the NAS, my PC and the shield tv. (same setup as the old router had as i don't want DHCP chanding the IPs).
I thought it was something about the LAN 1 being the gaming port. So i moved to another lan port, same issue. I tried to do speed test and browse on my phone and it works,
I get 100mbits if i don't do anything else on my network.
And i get 95bits if i scroll rapidly on youtube on my phone.
So i assume is that the AX6000 is giving some bandwidh to other devices during the speed test.

I assume that the ax6000 even with everything turned OFF, it still does some QoS in the background, i don't know why its prioritizing avatar download and completly turning off everything else like VoIP and peoples movement.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Its super annoying to be honest. If i can't fix this i will be forced to get another router.

I'm thinking of maybe using the c7 1750 as a basic switch, have the ISP connected to it, lan 1 to go to the switch upstairs, and lan 2 to go to the asus router so i have wifi, and do tests to see if i will have the same problem. (i just got this idea, i will actually try it today or tomorrow)

I can provide a video of the problem and any additional information someone might need to help resolve this problem.

The gui says i was on the latest, even after clicking the "check for update". I never checked manually to see if there is actually a new version.

1712568516201.png

I will update when i come home and share the results in a few days.
Thanks for the info.

The gui says i was on the latest, even after clicking the "check for update". I never checked manually to see if there is actually a new version.

View attachment 57776

Thanks for the info.

Make sure to update to the 388 branch.

View attachment 57776

Thanks for the info.
It looks like you are running pretty old/outdated firmware at this point (although I am not sure why your router is saying it is current). The latest firmware for the GT-AX6000 is 3.0.0.6.102_21514. If you do decide to manually update, you should do a factory reset of your router and manually reconfigure your options after updating as it is quite a big jump from 3.0.0.4.386 to 3.0.0.6.102.

Last edited:
Do i need to update incrementally ? I thought i can just go to the latest immediately.
You can update straight to the latest branch from your current firmware.

Umm, on Asus Firmware ethernet port 1 is prioritised, if you don't want it to hog your connection, don't use port 1! I think you'll find info on this in the gaming section of the router Web UI.

I'm not using port 1 at all, just because i was not 100% sure what its actually doing.

I did install the latest firmware "3.0.0.6.102_21514", did a factory reset and redid again my static DHCP routes.
First few tests, it seems its better.
Did the same test of downloading a game on steam (wired PC) and scrolling down rapidly on youtube android app (on wifi), videos do show up instantly, thumbnails show up instantly, there is no wait time (loaders). When i open a video, it does take 3-5 seconds fo buffer before it starts which i consider normal when i'm asking for 100% of the ISP download speeds.

But for vrchat, i go to a public lobby with 40 people. Until i download all avatars, there is audio dropouts and players movement is laggy, like it gets updated every 1/4 of a second. Like a slideshow.
It is better than before, before everything becomes a silent frozen frame until everything is downloading.
After everything is downloaded, everything becomes normal again. Movement of people is smooth and voices are passing passing through without shopping, skipping ect.
As soon as a new player joins and i see that download bar, issues return. choppy inaudiable sound, sometimes becomes robotic (like loss of packets), and everyone stutters.
If anyone things its a PC problem. I'm on a 5900x with 64gb ram the a beefy GPU. Its not a PC problem.

As it got late today, for tomorrow i will put the old router back and test again.

Its weird that i don't seem to find anyone with the same problem as me. Maybe if i had 1gbit from the ISP, i wouldn't be able to notice this problem. But stupid ISP says they can't provide more, even thou i'm 100% sure they are bandwidth limiting at the moment.

I'm not sure if installing custom firmware will fix these issues.

Thanks for the fast replies!

Test setup: plug both routers next to each other and swap cables. Switching from a 40 player lobbly to another 40 player lobby resulted in the same results. Both old and new router behave the same.
Sorry for making this thread, seems the problem is elsewhere.

If i ever figure it out i will update this thread if anyone in the future has the same problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!