What's new

300mps or 130mps network mode for WNDR3700?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

erick89

New Around Here
300mps or 130mps network mode; cat.5, 5e or 6 ethernet cable?

I actually have a few questions regarding the WNDR3700, first is what mode I should have the 2.4GHz in, 130mps or 300mps? I know 130mps is the default but if I can get a better/faster connection using the 300mps mode then should I switch? I currently have 2 laptops connected to the router and a ps3.

Also I tried to set up the ps3 to have a NAT type 2 connection but keep ending up with type 3, so if someone could tell me step by step what I have to do to make it type 2 i would greatly appreciate it.

Question regarding ethernet cable in post 10

Last edited:
So nobody know or no one wants to answer? If these questions have been asked already then just link me to the thread. I've looked tho and saw similar questions but not really what I want to know. Any help at all would be nice.

What Transmission speeds to run at:

I have a WNDR3700 and recently talked with Netgear CS and was advised to set the 2.4 GHz band on channel 11 at 130 Mbps & WPA TKIP/AES security for best HD video streaming performance.
Mine was set to up to 300 and was not all the time smooth. Channel 11 was busy with neighbors so I used channel 1 and all is good.
Netgear CS also stated that channel 36 on the 5 GHz band at 300 Mbps with WPA2-AES security would give best HD streaming performance on the 5 GHz band.
Not the case for me (I got stuttering), but also may be a problem with my N adapter on my HTPC and I am waiting for warranty replacement.
What I do know is that the fastest link speed reported or indicated is not necessarily the most stable for content purposes.
Also very helpful to use a free network scanning program like Insider or similar, to find the best channel to operate your network on, so you or your neighbors are not unintentionally knocking each other off the air.
Non overlapping channels are 1, 6 & 11 in the US.
Hopefully one of those will work for you.

So nobody know or no one wants to answer? If these questions have been asked already then just link me to the thread. I've looked tho and saw similar questions but not really what I want to know. Any help at all would be nice.
Jeez, man. Patience!

I don't recommend using 300 Mbps mode in the 2.4 GHz band. See this, Fix #5. Also look at the Wireless performance charts and see the difference that using 40MHz mode (that's what NETGEAR calls Up to 300 Mbps) makes.

Check that UPnP on the router is enabled. If it is and you still don't have Type 2, try this tutorial.

Sorry, patience hasn't been one of my strong suits lately. I decided to leave the 2.4GHz mode at 130Mbps. My PS3 still hasn't been able to achieve type 3 NAT but I decided that I should just hook it up directly to the router anyway. Thanks for the help.

Tim,

20/40Hz issue only varies with some brands, I've seen that in my prior Netgear Wireless N that only could do 270mbps thus leaving me with lower that 130mbps but it was really 52mbps.

Chip-set is standard of the recommended speed on these routers should be made a point that the speed will vary and you won't be getting 300mbps.

1000mbps = 600mbps
100mbps = 60mbps
10mbps = 6mbps

So you're seeing out of some PCI-E 900mbps or is that PCI-X usually in high-end Server or Blades. STill most home users not going to notice much. Signal Strength and Link Quality is usually what counts.

I ran the below to show what 802.11n is doing:

TX: 150mbps
RX: 300mbps

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/4465559/21344768/359654630.jpg

Tipstir,

I have no idea what point you are making.

Tipstir,

I have no idea what point you are making.

The point is that PCI-E Gig you say you see it reach 900mbps from some routers since you have pointed it out that most are 600mbps to 700mbps at best. The other fact is the 20Hz and 40Hz use in 802.11n or 802.11g and effect throughput. I just said that varies between different brands. Some of them have some sort of wireless noise protection to filter out noise transmission from B/G signals.

The point is that PCI-E Gig you say you see it reach 900mbps from some routers since you have pointed it out that most are 600mbps to 700mbps at best. The other fact is the 20Hz and 40Hz use in 802.11n or 802.11g and effect throughput. I just said that varies between different brands. Some of them have some sort of wireless noise protection to filter out noise transmission from B/G signals.
Most of this is incorrect.

I have another question about my wndr3700. Is the ethernet cable supplied with it a cat. 5 cable? If it is then should I switch it to a cat. 5e cable or go higher with the cat 6?

Would this be a good cable to have: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5364

It looks like its cat. 5e. Are all those specs unnecessary? Also I decided just to connect my ps3 to the router with an ethernet cable so would that Monster cable be good for that?

For a short length of cable, CAT 5 is fine to support a Gigabit connection. If you feel better using 5e, go ahead. No need to pay the ridiculous prices that Monster charges gullible people. Any non-name brand cable will be fine.

I've never gone wrong with the cables from Monoprice.com They're very reasonably priced and high quality. I've always seen buying Monster stuff as paying for a name more than construction.

Monoprice or Meritline.com they really use the same made which is high quality but sold dirt cheap. Cheaper and free shipping with Meritline

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!