What's new

AB-Solution 1.07 is out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That is done by the script by disabling the upstream DNS, forcing the router to be the one to handle it.
Thanks! I had the issue earlier where AB-Solution's blocking was not working, and enabling "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" was the only solution that I could find.

Just to be clear using a VPN disables the ad blocking?

In my case I have some networked clients going down a VPN using selective policy routing over OpenVpn (also using 8.8.8.8 via DNS filtering). They do get ads. In parallel I have clients not using the VPN who retain the ad blocked status.

Just to be clear using a VPN disables the ad blocking?

In my case I have some networked clients going down a VPN using selective policy routing over OpenVpn (also using 8.8.8.8 via DNS filtering). They do get ads. In parallel I have clients not using the VPN who retain the ad blocked status.
It depends on how the VPN server is configured (i.e., whether "Advertise DNS to clients" is enabled, whether ad blocking is enabled on the server, etc).

It depends on how the VPN server is configured (i.e., whether "Advertise DNS to clients" is enabled, whether ad blocking is enabled on the server, etc).

I've just tried this and it appears to resolve the problem for VPN connected machines. Great suggestion.

can you please allow installation on USB flash drives?
I have USB flash drive connected 24/7, but when I run script and try to install I get this error

Code:
 No ext2|ext3|ext4 devices available. Exiting...

I have changed this
Code:
case $(uname -m) in
    armv7l)
        PART_TYPES='ext2|ext3|ext4';;
    mips)
        PART_TYPES='ext2|ext3';;
to this
Code:
case $(uname -m) in
    armv7l)
        PART_TYPES='sda1';;
    mips)
        PART_TYPES='sda1';;

and then it worked :)

Last edited:
can you please allow installation on USB flash drives
I have USB flash drive connected 24/7, but when I run script and try to install I get this error

Code:
 No ext2|ext3|ext4 devices available. Exiting...
The USB flash drive needs to be reformatted using one of the specified formats. On my MacBook Pro, I used one of the Paragon utilities to format mine https://www.paragon-software.com/ -- they have Windows versions, too.

Using AB-Solution at my home network - all working fine, thank you.
but there are a couple of clients for which I use Parental controls->DNS Filtering - and AB-Solution is not working for them.

Is it possible to somehow combine these two solutions?

The i (install/upgrade), does that cover going from 1.06 to 1.07 as well? Or should I just overwrite the file with the newer one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using AB-Solution at my home network - all working fine, thank you.
but there are a couple of clients for which I use Parental controls->DNS Filtering - and AB-Solution is not working for them.

Is it possible to somehow combine these two solutions?
The DNS filtering is done externally, circumventing the local dnsmasq. AB-Solution is using dnsmasq to do the blocking.

The i (install/upgrade), does that cover going from 1.06 to 1.07 as well? Or should I just overwrite the file with the newer one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, you can delete ab-solution.sh and dowload the latest version from GitHub. Then run install and it will upgrade the installation if necessary.

Last edited:
can you please allow installation on USB flash drives?
Please read post #1
case $(uname -m) in
armv7l)
PART_TYPES='sda1';;
mips)
PART_TYPES='sda1';;
The proper way would have been to add the file system type, not the given name of the device. Like so:
Code:
case $(uname -m) in
    armv7l)
        PART_TYPES='fat|ext2|ext3|ext4';;
    mips)
        PART_TYPES='fat|ext2|ext3';;

Last edited:
Hey TLC, will this auto update from v1.0 all the way to v1.07 straight away using the latest download?
Or do I need to do incremental upgrades?

If you're using AB-Solution: Please participate in the poll. Thanks
I did, I have installed AB-Solution 1.07 for the first time, after adjusting it for "fat 32" installation was painless :)

I have chosen "Medium" list, added one test domain to blacklist (it works), can you recommend what should address ads, it seems ads are not addressed
I guess Medium list address malware domains primarily

I have tried "shooter40sw's choice: ~5.8 MB" list as well, but it seems majority of ads are not affected ?

Thank you for your good work, I really like old-school ASCII good-bye message :) reminds me of BBS times - when Internet was in diapers

The GUI version, is this something you're going to implement in Merlin's firmware? I'm out of the loop here but I recall Merlin saying he wouldn't use any ad-blocking in the firmware for various reasons. Also, thanks for this useful software.

The GUI version, is this something you're going to implement in Merlin's firmware? I'm out of the loop here but I recall Merlin saying he wouldn't use any ad-blocking in the firmware for various reasons. Also, thanks for this useful software.
This will be installed after the initial Merlin flash. This is going to be an "Add-on".

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!