What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
not running thru a vpn. all vpn services are disabled.
I was watching the log for a while and there are alot of ipv6 queries after the initial ip4 gets blocked. it is really strange that it sees the block rule then ignores it for ipv6 even tho nothing ipv6 is enabled or in use.

Yes i understand that dnsmasq has IPv6 support compiled in.... so for example, when i use my MacBook the "happy eyeballs" algorithm will kick in and make an IPv4 and an IPv6 name request. This i see in my dnsmasq logs..... For @jack901, when he requests a blocked domain, it seems his IPv6 request is passed upstream even though his IPv4 request is blocked.... in my case neither the IPv4 or IPv6 requests are forwarded upstream. Is there a setting somewhere ( nvram value perhaps) that is fooling the router into believing that IPv6 is enabled?
Or is this just the artefacts of a poorly configured VPN (DNS leaks)

Everything running fine here. Just wanna point a slight bug I've encountered.

Running the script

/tmp/home/root# ./ab-solution.sh

leads to hang @ checking installation state.
Output pasted in between dashes

---------------------------------------------------------------

_ ___ ___ _ _ _
/_\ | _ )___/ __| ___| |_ _| |_(_)___ _ _
/ _ \| _ \___\__ \/ _ \ | || | _| / _ \ ' \
/_/ \_\___/ |___/\___/_|\_,_|\__|_\___/_||_|

Welcome
This is AB-Solution 3.6.5 [3.6.5.0]

looking for an installation
found AB-Solution on /tmp/mnt/ASUS_AB-SOLUTION
checking installation state

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now just to clarify, this is post installation. Everything is fully functional and ads are being blocked accordingly. I tried exiting putty, re-ssh'ing, and reissuing command but still same result. I just can't get passed this without a reboot of my router. If i reboot and rerun command, the check passes and I'm able to access the main menu. Router model # AC87U

Thanks for your work, and i hope i was thorough enough.

Everything running fine here. Just wanna point a slight bug I've encountered.

Running the script

/tmp/home/root# ./ab-solution.sh

leads to hang @ checking installation state.
Output pasted in between dashes

---------------------------------------------------------------

_ ___ ___ _ _ _
/_\ | _ )___/ __| ___| |_ _| |_(_)___ _ _
/ _ \| _ \___\__ \/ _ \ | || | _| / _ \ ' \
/_/ \_\___/ |___/\___/_|\_,_|\__|_\___/_||_|

Welcome
This is AB-Solution 3.6.5 [3.6.5.0]

looking for an installation
found AB-Solution on /tmp/mnt/ASUS_AB-SOLUTION
checking installation state

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now just to clarify, this is post installation. Everything is fully functional and ads are being blocked accordingly. I tried exiting putty, re-ssh'ing, and reissuing command but still same result. I just can't get passed this without a reboot of my router. If i reboot and rerun command, the check passes and I'm able to access the main menu. Router model # AC87U

Thanks for your work, and i hope i was thorough enough.

I have this issue when one of my two CPU's are pegged at 100%. Next time you see this happen, check if its the same case. I have no fix other then a reboot as well for now.

I have this issue when one of my two CPU's are pegged at 100%. Next time you see this happen, check if its the same case. I have no fix other then a reboot as well for now.
I just can't get passed this without a reboot of my router. If i reboot and rerun command, the check passes and I'm able to access the main menu. Router model # AC87U
I'm sure this is not an AB problem, but the router busy or hanging with some other task and AB simply waits for the check result.
Next time CTRL-C AB and enter
Code:
into the terminal. Look at what process uses up the most ram/processor time.

Hi all thank you for the help I now seem to have one more problem I am still getting ads on YouTube videos
I would like those gone too. But AB has it's limits.

Hello guys.

I replaced my 3 TB hard drive for a real NAS, so I got a 16GB microsd, and and use a usb adapter.

I have partition it like this for AB solution.

Total: 16GB
  • /Entware: 2GB megabytes
  • /swap 128 megabytes
  • /Data remainder of the disk
Now that I got AB-Solution installed and in the Entware partition, I realize that I have not use for the Data partition, because now I have a NAS, I was thinking of extending the Entware partition to take over the /Data partition space.

What do your guys think or suggest?
I named the partition Entware instead of optware, is there a problem by doing that?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello guys.

I replaced my 3 TB hard drive for a real NAS, so I got a 16GB microsd, and and use a usb adapter.

I have partition it like this for AB solution.

Total: 16GB
  • /Entware: 2GB megabytes
  • /swap 128 megabytes
  • /Data remainder of the disk
Now that I got AB-Solution installed and in the Entware partition, I realize that I have not use for the Data partition, because now I have a NAS, I was thinking of extending the Entware partition to take over the /Data partition space.

What do your guys think or suggest?
I named the partition Entware instead of optware, is there a problem by doing that?

Thank you
You can label your partitions whatever you want, just don't change once Entware and AB is installed.
Else, the scripts in /jffs/ point to the wrong device.
2 GB is sufficient for the two, I would leave it as it is. You have wasted space on that device anyway.

We got two Internet50 connection from Swisscom
How's your ad-blocking going?
All sorted out?

I'm on Cablecom and just tedhered my SIMless Android to the iPhone (on Swisscom), plugged the Android via USB into the Router and activated dual WAN balanced. Works perfectly without touching any other settings

really great solution you've got here. got some issues though:

using standard list, some domains dont work, like torproject.org and ask.fedoraproject.org, plus others that I consider perfectly good domains. If I disable ad-blocking, then re-enable it, then they work, until the next scheduled update, then they stop working again. any ideas why?

If I want to add to blacklist, it seems I have to add both with and without www prefix. Is there not a way to just add the domain once without a www prefix?

using standard list, some domains dont work, like torproject.org and ask.fedoraproject.org, plus others that I consider perfectly good domains. If I disable ad-blocking, then re-enable it, then they work, until the next scheduled update, then they stop working again. any ideas why?

If I want to add to blacklist, it seems I have to add both with and without www prefix. Is there not a way to just add the domain once without a www prefix?
No, this is fine grained black- and whitelisting. This is intended as the www and not www website can be different websites.
The fedora website works with all lists, I believe. You'd have to see what's blocking it, or at least try to add the ones you want to go through to the whitelist.

both torproject.org and ask.fedoraproject.org are working for me.... interestingly you mention that if you disable/re-enable blocking, your sites start working until the next update. In order to unload/reload the additional hosts file, dnsmasq is restarted for all of these cases. i wonder if you have a dnsmasq.conf.add file from another script which is causing an issue (no empty line perhaps)

You can label your partitions whatever you want, just don't change once Entware and AB is installed.
Else, the scripts in /jffs/ point to the wrong device.
2 GB is sufficient for the two, I would leave it as it is. You have wasted space on that device anyway.

Thank you, but I would love to reformat the drive, but I don't know if it is safe to just uninstall AB-solutions then reformat the drive and reinstall ab-solution.

I would like to reformat as follows but don't know if this is the ideal partition for what I need.

Total Space 16GB
  • /Entware: 15. 36GB
  • /swap 64 megabytes

Thank you, but I would love to reformat the drive, but I don't know if it is safe to just uninstall AB-solutions then reformat the drive and reinstall ab-solution.

I would like to reformat as follows but don't know if this is the ideal partition for what I need.

Total Space 16GB
  • /Entware: 15. 36GB
  • /swap 64 megabytes
Do you have a Linux box to do the formatting?
Shut down the router, unplug the device, boot router up.
Then I would simply copy the content on the Linux box, reformat and label it 'Entware' (or whatever the label is for the Entware and AB partition).
Put the content back into it, plug it back into the router and wait for it to be mounted.
Then fire up AB and all should be well.

Do you have a Linux box to do the formatting?
Shut down the router, unplug the device, boot router up.
Then I would simply copy the content on the Linux box, reformat and label it 'Entware' (or whatever the label is for the Entware and AB partition).
Put the content back into it, plug it back into the router and wait for it to be mounted.
Then fire up AB and all should be well.

Thank you Thelonelycoder, that is an ease solution, I will do ASAP.

Thank you Thelonelycoder, that is an ease solution, I will do ASAP.
When you fire up AB after plugging in, AB will check everything and bring services up on it's own.
If you can't start it with ./ab-solution.sh, try sh /mnt/<your device>/ab-solution.sh

Report back, I'm curious. It works 100% for me, but your mileage may differ.

I was doing the tests and with me it happens exactly the same !!!

When you fire up AB after plugging in, AB will check everything and bring services up on it's own.
If you can't start it with ./ab-solution.sh, try sh /mnt/<your device>/ab-solution.sh

Report back, I'm curious. It works 100% for me, but your mileage may differ.

Wow brother, it Worked 100%, it was very ease that way, you saved me time.

both torproject.org and ask.fedoraproject.org are working for me.... interestingly you mention that if you disable/re-enable blocking, your sites start working until the next update. In order to unload/reload the additional hosts file, dnsmasq is restarted for all of these cases. i wonder if you have a dnsmasq.conf.add file from another script which is causing an issue (no empty line perhaps)

I'm also using DNScrypt, so I've messed about with my dnsmasq config file quite a lot. I'll have to have a more thorough look at it.

Next question :) ...

I've used pfsense/Shalla's list in the past, then Ciscos (OpenDNS) Family Shield DNScrypt provider, but that wasn't working as I wanted. AB Solution is a great fit, but i'd like to add a blacklist of pr0n/violence websites into the blacklist.

First question is: does anyone know of any reasonably sized blacklists? I took Shallas and modified it to work with dnsmasq's config but it was 28MB. It was overkill, so I need a reasonable list without it being all-encompassing.

Second question is; Can I add sites manually to the blacklist, and just go into the blacklist editor and "process" the list, or do I need to add them through the gui for it to get processed properly?

I'm also using DNScrypt, so I've messed about with my dnsmasq config file quite a lot. I'll have to have a more thorough look at it.
Make sure you have one empty line at the end of the file.
The next version of AB will do that on it's side, just to rule out user error. But for now this is important. Otherwise, if you have no new line, the last line of your script and any additional configs, like AB's, start at the end of your last line.
Meaning it makes that complete line incompatible for dnsmasq and it will ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.