What's new

AC3100 - Odd Wireless Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ember1205

Occasional Visitor
Some background: I have a very long history with technology, including computer networking, that goes back over 20 years. I have a much-larger-than-typical home network that I designed and built and has served me very well for a LOT of years without issue.

A few years ago, I was having spotty issues throughout the house and opted to replace my WRT-54G as it simply wasn't up to the task of the sheer volume of devices that I have connected in the house. I installed an ASUS AC3100 and things were great.

Over the course of the last six months or so, performance and functionality has gotten much worse and I have recently noticed some odd behaviors that I'm looking for some assistance and guidance with since I'm basically stuck.

Current firmware is 3.0.0.4.384_32799

The configuration in place has been there mostly from the beginning and has endured through a half dozen or so firmware upgrades.

When I connected my MacBook Air yesterday, the IP and MAC address never showed up anywhere in the list of Clients. I have a second device in the house that I use purely as an AP (AC1700), and it didn't show up in the list of clients there, either. Clearly, both devices should have shown an entry as I was using the MacBook Air to access the admin GUI, but neither showed me. So, my first step in troubleshooting significant spikes in latency when pinging devices was unavailable to me as I had no way to know which device was actually providing me my WiFi signal (and even though the 1700 is MUCH further away, I have had lots of problems with devices connecting to IT instead of the 3100 which is much closer).

When I was connected to WiFi yesterday with my MacBook Air, pinging the 3100 had wild variations in latency from single digits to well over 500ms.

I do not use AIMesh. Given that I run a DHCP server on my network and use DNS services there, I don't know that I could actually even turn AIMesh on. Does anyone know the explicit requirements for this feature?

My DHCP server is a Linux host which also provides in-house DNS resolution for local domains and then forwards to my ISP's hosts for domains it is not authoritative for.

I do not use the standard IP Addressing scheme that the router uses with its factory configuration.

I do port-forward four different ports to three different hosts.

I have turned off all of the various Web History and QoS services.

The admin GUI pages seem to take "too long" to load (this is purely my own interpretation and not necessarily based on anything factual). While the pages on the 1700 aren't much quicker, they do seem to load more quickly.

I hesitate to revert the router to factory defaults and have to set it up all over again unless that's definitely what needs to be done. In other words, I'd like to avoid doing that unless there's a high likelihood or certainty that it will fix the issue - I don't want to do it just to troubleshoot because of the additional configuration I've had to do to it for my own needs.

Does anyone have some suggestions on where to start looking?

You've had the AC3100 for several years, it supports AiMesh now, it has current firmware on it, and you are reluctant to perform a factory default reset. So, have you performed a factory default reset recently? If not, then I'd start there.

OE

Last edited:
it's basic troubleshoot steps to factory reset / "power cycle+nvram clear with wps button"(my preferred method, and it address issue that persist after multiple factory reset for me) and reconfigure everything from scratch.
you can have backup of current setting, just dont load it.

not hard to give you examples on how it solve many weird issue that occur in between different firmware upgrades.
i.e cpu usage stuck @ 100%, signature roll back to some old weird version and wont update.

will it help your case? no one know, only way to find out is that you try it.

Last edited:
it's basic troubleshoot steps to factory reset / "power cycle+nvram clear with wps button"(my preferred method, and it address issue that persist after multiple factory reset for me) and reconfigure everything from scratch.
you can have backup of current setting, just dont load it.

not hard to give you examples on how it solve many weird issue that occur in between different firmware upgrades.
i.e cpu usage stuck @ 100%, signature roll back to some old weird version and wont update.

will it help your case? no one know, only way to find out is that you try it.

I disagree. Troubleshooting results in understanding the problem and providing a solution for it. Factory reset is a "solution", not a "troubleshooting step."

I disagree. Troubleshooting results in understanding the problem and providing a solution for it. Factory reset is a "solution", not a "troubleshooting step."
maybe truth for business units, but this is a consumer grade product with buggy firmware

So @indark is correct!

I know its hard but you have to accept it, sorry, you probably wont get better help here.
Why should anyone write for hours hundreds of possibilities and at the end only a reset would correct it?

for me it's a troubleshooting step to eliminate any glitch that might occur during firmware upgrade.

one example is that I had issue with CPU stuck @ 100% with 1 version of merlin firmware.
no one else was experiencing it. and it is gone when I change to different version.
and persist whenever I load that version of firmware.

it was odd that it doesnt' even go away with factory reset.
However, it is normal after I power cycle+ clear nvram.

I am just typical consumer with limited knowledge. I can provide suggestion based on what i have experienced and how I solve it.
So I always reply with same boring statement to tell people that they should try power cycle and wps button to clear nvram.
It's zzz, but it works for me as a avg consumer.

I am not going to go thru dumps like what Asus tech to find out what is going on with your hardware.

I will consider if there is supporting evidence as to WHY this WILL help.

Read the linked FAQ for supporting evidence. Read the forum for case examples.

OE

Some background: I have a very long history with technology, including computer networking, that goes back over 20 years. I have a much-larger-than-typical home network that I designed and built and has served me very well for a LOT of years without issue.

A few years ago, I was having spotty issues throughout the house and opted to replace my WRT-54G as it simply wasn't up to the task of the sheer volume of devices that I have connected in the house. I installed an ASUS AC3100 and things were great.

Over the course of the last six months or so, performance and functionality has gotten much worse and I have recently noticed some odd behaviors that I'm looking for some assistance and guidance with since I'm basically stuck.

Current firmware is 3.0.0.4.384_32799

The configuration in place has been there mostly from the beginning and has endured through a half dozen or so firmware upgrades.

When I connected my MacBook Air yesterday, the IP and MAC address never showed up anywhere in the list of Clients. I have a second device in the house that I use purely as an AP (AC1700), and it didn't show up in the list of clients there, either. Clearly, both devices should have shown an entry as I was using the MacBook Air to access the admin GUI, but neither showed me. So, my first step in troubleshooting significant spikes in latency when pinging devices was unavailable to me as I had no way to know which device was actually providing me my WiFi signal (and even though the 1700 is MUCH further away, I have had lots of problems with devices connecting to IT instead of the 3100 which is much closer).

When I was connected to WiFi yesterday with my MacBook Air, pinging the 3100 had wild variations in latency from single digits to well over 500ms.

I do not use AIMesh. Given that I run a DHCP server on my network and use DNS services there, I don't know that I could actually even turn AIMesh on. Does anyone know the explicit requirements for this feature?

My DHCP server is a Linux host which also provides in-house DNS resolution for local domains and then forwards to my ISP's hosts for domains it is not authoritative for.

I do not use the standard IP Addressing scheme that the router uses with its factory configuration.

I do port-forward four different ports to three different hosts.

I have turned off all of the various Web History and QoS services.

The admin GUI pages seem to take "too long" to load (this is purely my own interpretation and not necessarily based on anything factual). While the pages on the 1700 aren't much quicker, they do seem to load more quickly.

I hesitate to revert the router to factory defaults and have to set it up all over again unless that's definitely what needs to be done. In other words, I'd like to avoid doing that unless there's a high likelihood or certainty that it will fix the issue - I don't want to do it just to troubleshoot because of the additional configuration I've had to do to it for my own needs.

My suggestion would be to install two apps on your MacBook:
  1. WiFi Explorer
  2. Wireshark
With WiFi Explorer you will be able to view all the WiFi signals and their sources to make a determination. With Wireshark you will be able to determine what's going on at a packet level.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!