What's new

[Alpha][MU-MIMO] Early preview of 380.59

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Staff member
As Asus started to more publicly open access to their MU-MIMO alpha builds, I have decided to do the same, and issue a very early preview of 380.59 (which is developed in parallel to 380.58).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sbx31no9gm5s8mu/RT-AC88U_380.59_alpha1-g6814cd9.zip

This alpha build is based on GPL 380_2345, which is not a final release version either, so potential issues can be expected. Due to the early nature of this code (and since I don't expect it to be the final GPL release on which 380.59 will be based), it hasn't been merged on Github yet.

This is only available for the RT-AC88U as I don't have compatible closed source components for the other models. So don't ask for other builds - I can't. The RT-AC5300 build for instance flat out crashes at boot time.

Doing a factory default reset after flashing this is strongly recommended, due to the various low-level wireless-related changes. Recommended installation:

1) Make a backup of your existing settings
2) Flash this preview build
3) Do a factory default reset, and manually reconfigure everything

If you wish to return to the previous stable build:

1) Flash the same previous version you were initially running
2) Restore the backup of your settings from that previous version

List of changes (on my end) since the 380.58 alpha releases:

Code:
6814cd9 webui: Hide Traffic Limiter page as this feature isn't ready yet
2f07627 webui: Switch to oui_query_web() for OUI looks on our own pages
ba5b881 webui: allow us to bypass DPI identification and go directly to a web-based OUI query, as thee DPI report doesn't always match the NIC but just the 
7af4882 webui: Report MU beamforming capability from clients
f19ffa9 rc: Use Asus's new retry method in start_nat_rules() instead of ours, and fix it so it does try more than once
1f32f0c rc: Also applies to our own NOLOCALDM config option
be3394e firewall: Removing the drop rules Asus now applies when the firewall is disabled, because this is counter-intuitive.  A disabled firewall should not
8c27c4c Bump revision to 380.59 alpha1
34c4c93 webui: Remove ":" for uniformity
c0007b4 webui: Switched DNSFilter client selector to Asus's new one (integrated into Networkmap)
87bbbcf webui: Switch from oui_query() to the new oui_query_full_vendor() function in our own pages
ee41c21 webui: allow oui_query_full_vendor() to handle MACs not found in client list (for example from the Site Survey list)
c19e98a Merge with GPL 380_2345 (AC88)
026b369 Revert "rc: revert watchdog led handling code to pre-1354 as a workaround to RT-AC56U LED issues"
c3eb6a4 webui: alphabetical sort of the available OpenVPN auth digests
ac4e6a3 openssl: Updated to 1.0.2g; removed buildtime options to disable SSLv2/v3 as they are now disabled by default with this version

Quick summary of changes on Asus's end (I don't have any changelog, so these are just what I have observed):

• MU-MIMO support
  • Enhancements to the Network Map
  • Numerous webui pages now interface with that Network Map, making it easier to select a connected client when adding a Parental Control/Port Foward/whatever rule. I have implemented that new selector to the DNSFilter page as a test - I might also implement it to other appropriate pages at some point (remember this is still a very early alpha release)
  • Various changes related to IPv6
  • Forwarded ports are now configured as exceptions in the UPNP config (apparently to avoid miniupnpd from ever trying to forward a port already manually forwarded)
  • Various changes to IPTV/Multiiptv support

To enable MU-MIMO support, go to Wireless -> Professional, and enable the option there.

MU-MIMO-capable clients will show as such on the System Log -> Wireless page, with the new "M" flag. (to my surprise, my Nexus 5X is compatible, despite the iFixIt teardown showing a wireless SoC that should not be compatible).

Thank you very much for sharing this. Will test this now.

About commit: 6814cd9 webui: Hide Traffic Limiter page as this feature isn't ready yet

are u refer to the limit bandwith option at http://192.168.2.1/QoS_EZQoS.asp or to a new page / feature ?

I am getting this in system logs with this firmware and previous 380.58 alpha series.

Mar 12 22:42:13 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

I remember when I bought Ac-68U in beginning I use to get these message on that router as well. however they were fixed later on and it's my they are harmless.

Thank you very much for sharing this. Will test this now.

About commit: 6814cd9 webui: Hide Traffic Limiter page as this feature isn't ready yet

are u refer to the limit bandwith option at http://192.168.2.1/QoS_EZQoS.asp or to a new page / feature ?

Traffic Limiter is not the same thing as Bandwidth Limiter (despite the confusing names).

Traffic Limiter is a new feature that will allow you to configure the monthly quota allocated by your ISP. When you get too close to that limit, it will be able to either notify you or cut off your connection.

waiting this pre-alpha for ac68u.....i wish will be soon.....

This alpha seems to be working well, no issue so far.

Great for me as well. I had the weird initial GUI lag, but it seemed to clear itself within an hour or so.

No M flags anywere on my clients...maybe one day I'll mu-MIMO clients to really see what that would do for me in my environment :)

for ac88u users: if someone use IPTV over udpxy from webgui, please report results if IPTV working or not? thanks

I´m running it too now.
A bit of GUI lag and when I turned on Stealth Mode it didn´t really work, one led remain on and both Wireless never turned on.
Did a reset and left the leds on :)
//KD

waiting this pre-alpha for ac68u.....i wish will be soon.....

There's no MU-MIMO support on the RT-AC68U, so there won't be any MU-MIMO test build for it...

I´m running it too now.
A bit of GUI lag and when I turned on Stealth Mode it didn´t really work, one led remain on and both Wireless never turned on.
Did a reset and left the leds on :)
//KD

Known issue.

Great for me as well. I had the weird initial GUI lag, but it seemed to clear itself within an hour or so.

People mentioned the same thing with Asus's own alpha builds, so it must be something related to the GPL code. I suspect it might be related to the new networkmap code, but can't be sure as the issue hasn't reappeared for me either.

There's no MU-MIMO support on the RT-AC68U, so there won't be any MU-MIMO test build for it...
ok, didn't know that but i mean 380.59 for others routers...[emoji3]

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

Bandwith monitor under Adaptive QOS still not show the correct values with this GPL code sadly. Other things seems very stable so far. MU-MIMO is working with my client and the sporadic but steadley packet loss is gone it seems.

People mentioned the same thing with Asus's own alpha builds, so it must be something related to the GPL code. I suspect it might be related to the new networkmap code, but can't be sure as the issue hasn't reappeared for me either.

Yea I'm running an ASUS alpha build I just got a few days ago on my RT-AC3100 and noticed a GUI lag. Thought it was just me. There was no issue with the last alpha build I got from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I'm running an ASUS alpha build I just got a few days ago on my RT-AC3100 and noticed a GUI lag.

What Alpha build did Asus send you ? I am using 3.0.0.4.380_2310 and it does have the UI lag but it seems like it clears itself up after some time. Strange o_O 9.0.0.4.380_1687 was also solid here with no UI lag. Have to love trial builds !!

What Alpha build did Asus send you ? I am using 3.0.0.4.380_2310 and it does have the UI lag but it seems like it clears itself up after some time. Strange o_O 9.0.0.4.380_1687 was also solid here with no UI lag. Have to love trial builds !!

Same one you have. [emoji4]

Same one you have. [emoji4]

Not to go off-topic but want to ask, you currently using a SB6190? As I wanted to ask you, you're aware of the modem side ping issue with that modem? If not, there's indeed an issue with that modem, and I don't suggest using it, if you run anything latency/ping depended.

Not to go off-topic but want to ask, you currently using a SB6190? As I wanted to ask you, you're aware of the modem side ping issue with that modem? If not, there's indeed an issue with that modem, and I don't suggest using it, if you run anything latency/ping depended.

Sent you a PM.