What's new

Amped Wireless R10000 vs. Ubiquiti AP-N - Better performance based on specs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

njweb

Which of these has the better performance, IF you go purely by specifications?

They both seem to have 28 dbm of max transmit power.

Transmit amps:
Amped Wireless R10000: TWO 600mW amps
Ubiquiti Power AP-N: ONE 1000 mW amp

Receive amps:
Amped Wireless R10000: TWO high power low noise amps
Ubiquiti Power AP-N: ?

Antennae:
Amped Wireless R10000: Two 5 dBi antennae
Ubiquiti Power AP-N: Two 6 dBi antennae (apparently)

Just curious, if we're going solely by the above specs, all other things being equal (which I am fully aware they may not actually be):
Which should perform better in terms of wireless range (both sending the signal far and receiving (hearing) signals from clients?

Which of these has the better performance, IF you go purely by specifications?

They both seem to have 28 dbm of max transmit power.

Transmit amps:
Amped Wireless R10000: TWO 600mW amps
Ubiquiti Power AP-N: ONE 1000 mW amp

Receive amps:
Amped Wireless R10000: TWO high power low noise amps
Ubiquiti Power AP-N: ?

Antennae:
Amped Wireless R10000: Two 5 dBi antennae
Ubiquiti Power AP-N: Two 6 dBi antennae (apparently)

Just curious, if we're going solely by the above specs, all other things being equal (which I am fully aware they may not actually be):
Which should perform better in terms of wireless range (both sending the signal far and receiving (hearing) signals from clients?

Amplifiers (consumer grade) are ill-advised. Without a good receive amplifier, there is a badly unbalanced link due to the client's low power. However, affordable bi-directional (receive and transmit) amplifiers introduce so much noise on the receive path that the effective data rate is seriously reduced though the range may increase. Problem is, a good low noise (figure) amplifier, say 1.5 DB noise figure, costs way too much. Likewise, low cost transmitting amplifiers add distortion to complex signals like 11n, leading to lower data rates.

The solution is to use antenna gain rather than amplifiers.

Last edited:
Both of them have 2x Transmission Power Amps and 2x Receive LNA's.

You can't really compare Tx range and Rx sensitivity based on specs.

When you have both Tx and Rx going on at the same time, the engineer needs to design it so the Tx does not interfere with the receive.

Also, high Tx power will cause more heat.
Higher heat will impact Rx LNA performance.

So you can see that how good the HW/RF engineer is will determine a lot of how well these high power wireless devices perform in real life. It's more than just the specs of individual components used.

When you have both Tx and Rx going on at the same time, the engineer needs to design it so the Tx does not interfere with the receive.
IEEE 802.11 WiFi never transmits and receives simultaneously. It is by definition half-duplex with CSMA/CA.

I have been using the amped wireless r10000 for about a week now. The wireless range is excellent. Outperforms the 5 ft omni antenna and amp I had previously with my old wireless router for range.

The firmware seems immature. When a change is applied the router reboots but doesn't route when it comes back up until it is power cycled. Also it would appear that although all the speed tests come though looking fine, the routing appears somewhat slow.

By the time the r10000g is available there will probably be a newer firmware version and will probably be a good time to buy.

All in all though for my situation, extending internet to an adjacent building being picked up by a client bridge, I would say this thing is great. I also don't see any link rate sacrificed compared to other mimo routers I have tried in this situation.

A few other things that bug me in case amped wireless is reading...
You cant seem to get rid of the dumb wizard when you access the firmware settings, just have to ignore it, and it would be great if they included built in ipv6 tunneling support.

Last edited:
I have been using the amped wireless r10000 for about a week now. The wireless range is excellent. Outperforms the 5 ft omni antenna and amp I had previously with my old wireless router for range.

The firmware seems immature. When a change is applied the router reboots but doesn't route when it comes back up until it is power cycled. Also it would appear that although all the speed tests come though looking fine, the routing appears somewhat slow.

By the time the r10000g is available there will probably be a newer firmware version and will probably be a good time to buy.

All in all though for my situation, extending internet to an adjacent building being picked up by a client bridge, I would say this thing is great. I also don't see any link rate sacrificed compared to other mimo routers I have tried in this situation.

A few other things that bug me in case amped wireless is reading...
You cant seem to get rid of the dumb wizard when you access the firmware settings, just have to ignore it, and it would be great if they included built in ipv6 tunneling support.

Thanks for the feedback!
I ordered one a few days ago right before leaving on a business trip. It should arrive Friday.
I am very happy with my Linksys E4200 router and Linksys RE1000 range extender (latter may be overkill) but was curious to see how the Amped Wireless R10000 router performs.
I also still have the three 8 dBi antennae (not worth returning due to shipping charges both way and restocking fee) that I bought for the Zyxel NBG5715 router that I ended up returning, so I could use two of those.

Amplifiers (consumer grade) are ill-advised. Without a good receive amplifier, there is a badly unbalanced link due to the client's low power. However, affordable bi-directional (receive and transmit) amplifiers introduce so much noise on the receive path that the effective data rate is seriously reduced though the range may increase. Problem is, a good low noise (figure) amplifier, say 1.5 DB noise figure, costs way too much. Likewise, low cost transmitting amplifiers add distortion to complex signals like 11n, leading to lower data rates.

The solution is to use antenna gain rather than amplifiers.

Thanks, I actually ordered one a few days ago, so I will post my experience once I get it.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!