What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok I ran that curl and then fd'd then rebooted and it's still returning to the main menu whern trying to install diversion. is it just some temporary web thing and I should try later?
Edit: skynet installs fine
Run the curl command without the s silent switch:
Code:
curl -O https://diversion.ch/install && sh install

1697549423289.png

When I try to change storage location to USB and hit save nothing happens, the other day before I wiped the router I had a big error somewhere here saying the log was full or something (should have took a screenshot) anyway I figured using usb would fix it since it's a 64gig stick.

Figured it, all set Thanks
i am getting the same error, what did you do to solve it ?

amo@AX0R:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/scripts/amtm
-sh: /jffs/scripts/amtm: not found

amo@AX0R:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/scripts
-sh: /jffs/scripts: Permission denied

amo@AX0R:/tmp/home/root# /jffs
-sh: /jffs: Permission denied

Do you have JFFS enabled in the GUI Administration > System page?

Just enter amtm, nothing else.

Just enter amtm, nothing else.

It happens that when i enter i don't see the fd command:
1717778564182.png

Prepare the USB Drive for the swap file, Entware, and scripts.
  • If your USB drive is used, make sure to save all files off of it first
  • Format it in your computer with the NTFS file format
  • Insert the USB drive into a router USB port
  • Use your PuTTY skills above to SSH into the router
  • Type '/jffs/scripts/amtm' without the quotes and hit Enter
  • Using amtm's 'fd' command, format the USB drive to Ext4 with journaling and
  • Make sure to also Label the drive too. The router will reboot.

Have you try the 'i' command to display all available scripts to see if the 'fd' one was then selectable?

Hello,

First time poster —apologies if this is misplaced.

I've followed the guide and successfully installed Diversion 5.1.3. Works a charm on my PC, but not on my phone (connected to same network with mobile data disabled). Could someone please confirm the DNS / DHCP settings I should be running on the router? FYI, I'm running 3004.388.7_1-gnuton firmware. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Try usb3 first. If you experience problems switch to usb2 and test that. You can switch mode at any time.
I haven't really seen anyone having problems with usb3 lately.

What should be the steps for replacing USB stick in Asus RT-AX88U Pro with new SSD Drive?
I'm using amtm with the following add-ones:
Diversion 5.1.3
BACKUPMON 1.8.5
spdMerlin 4.4.5
YazDHCP 1.0.6
Entware packages

Should I just remove attached USB using Merlin GUI:
1719847394606.png

and then attach SSD drive and then prepare it using amtm with "fd" - "Format Disk" option ?

What should be the steps for replacing USB stick in Asus RT-AX88U Pro with new SSD Drive?
I'm using amtm with the following add-ones:
Diversion 5.1.3
BACKUPMON 1.8.5
spdMerlin 4.4.5
YazDHCP 1.0.6
Entware packages

Should I just remove attached USB using Merlin GUI:
View attachment 59913
and then attach SSD drive and then prepare it using amtm with "fd" - "Format Disk" option ?
If you have a local/network backup using BACKUPMON, this would be really easy to get your environment back to what you had before without any data loss...

Code:
RESTORE INSTRUCTIONS

IMPORTANT:
Asus Router Model: GT-AX6000
Firmware/Build Number: 3004.388.7_0
EXT USB Drive Label Name: ASUS-SSD

WARNING: Do NOT attempt to restore if your Asus Router Model or Firmware/Build Numbers differ from your backups!

Please ensure your have performed the following before restoring your backups:
1.) Enable SSH in router UI, and connect via an SSH Terminal (like PuTTY).
2.) Run "AMTM" and format a new USB drive on your router - label it exactly the same name as before (see above)! Reboot.
3.) After reboot, SSH back in to AMTM, create your swap file (if required). This action should automatically enable JFFS.
4.) From the UI, verify JFFS scripting enabled in the router OS, if not, enable and perform another reboot.
5.) Restore the backupmon.sh & backupmon.cfg files (located under your backup folder) into your /jffs/scripts folder.
6.) Run "sh backupmon.sh -setup" and ensure that all of the settings are correct before running a restore.
7.) Run "sh backupmon.sh -restore", pick which backup you want to restore, and confirm before proceeding!
8.) After the restore finishes, perform another reboot.  Everything should be restored as normal!

You misunderstood my question.
I don't need to restore Asus-Merlin OS. I want to replace USB drive attached to USB port with new SSD drive.

You misunderstood my question.
I don't need to restore Asus-Merlin OS. I want to replace USB drive attached to USB port with new SSD drive.
These steps will let you move from a USB drive to an SSD drive, and in the process will restore your router setting, which is benign. It does not restore your router OS.

These instructions assumed you just formatted your router and blanked out your harddrive. You wouldn't need to copy the backupmon.cfg and .sh files since they'd already be there under /jffs/scripts

Last edited:
Just spotted this WARNING:
1719929618886.png

and error log shows:
1719929685927.png

so it looks like this error is started on June 17th.
What is wrong here as I don't see differences in the backups folders. Before 17.06.2024 and after 17.06.2024 there are always 4 files there and usbdrive.tar.gz is always 0 bytes size:
1719929919139.png

When doing manual backup getting this:
1719930614229.png

I still don't understand why I have to use backupmon to restore the configuration when I only need to replace USB stick with a new USB SSD drive.

Last edited:
Just spotted this WARNING:
View attachment 59927

and error log shows:
View attachment 59928

so it looks like this error is started on June 17th.
What is wrong here as I don't see differences in the backups folders. Before 17.06.2024 and after 17.06.2024 there are always 4 files there and usbdrive.tar.gz is always 0 bytes size:
View attachment 59929

When doing manual backup getting this:
View attachment 59930

I still don't understand why I have to use backupmon to restore the configuration when I only need to replace USB stick with a new USB SSD drive.
You need to upgrade to v1.8.8 and go into the config, and make sure you are picking the correct USB drive name (not /tmp/mnt/usbdrive). Keep an eye on those error logs, or set up email notifications.

This issue was discussed here:

Because BACKUPMON will restore your entire environment down to your new SSD as if nothing happened. But if you want to go about it differently, be my guest?

Last edited:
I used this option:
(1) : Source EXT USB Drive Mount Point
It was the value /tmp/mnt/usbdrive
Your script is so smart :) suggesting new location: /tmp/mnt/SWAP
so I did that and then manual backup is successfully completed and includes SWAP.tar.gz file with the size of 25987 KB

So I'm going to use backupmon -restore with the following steps:
1. "Safely Remove Disk" action to remove currently used USB stick
2. Power off router
3. Attach new USB SSD disk
4. Power on router
5. in GUI check in Administration -> System if "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" is set to "Yes" (why should it be changed while it is currently set to Yes :))
5. ssh to the router and:
a) amtm -> "fd" Format disk using the same label as before: SWAP
b) amtm -> "sw" Swap file and set the swap file 2.0 GB as before
c) exit from amtm and cd to /jffs/scripts and launch sh backupmon.sh -restore

Is it OK?

I used this option:
(1) : Source EXT USB Drive Mount Point
It was the value /tmp/mnt/usbdrive
Your script is so smart :) suggesting new location: /tmp/mnt/SWAP
so I did that and then manual backup is successfully completed and includes SWAP.tar.gz file with the size of 25987 KB

So I'm going to use backupmon -restore with the following steps:
1. "Safely Remove Disk" action to remove currently used USB stick
2. Power off router
3. Attach new USB SSD disk
4. Power on router
5. in GUI check in Administration -> System if "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" is set to "Yes" (why should it be changed while it is currently set to Yes :))
5. ssh to the router and:
a) amtm -> "fd" Format disk using the same label as before: SWAP
b) amtm -> "sw" Swap file and set the swap file 2.0 GB as before
c) exit from amtm and cd to /jffs/scripts and launch sh backupmon.sh -restore

Is it OK?
Looks good! Yeah you don't need to reenable JFFS... That's assuming your router was reset.

Good luck!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!