What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

USB disk replacement successfully completed.
With one issue: after router reboot USB SSD disk is not detected. I have to unplug cable and connect it again and then it is detected in the system.
Is it a known issue with SSD disks? How to fix that?

With one issue: after router reboot USB SSD disk is not detected. I have to unplug cable and connect it again and then it is detected in the system.
Unusual... But I would shut the router off for a few mins, then turn it back on. Let it sit there for a little while and see if it just takes a little time to warm up. Sometimes mine takes a few, but eventually comes up. Other times it's instantaneous.

Also, what kind of USB enclosure did you get for your SSD? Or what kind of SSD are you working with?

is using USB 2.0 mode still recommended?
Only if usb3 causes problems with your drive or 2.4GHz wifi that you can't trace to a setting or script (last one is always doubtful). Suck it and see.

Only if usb3 causes problems with your drive or 2.4GHz wifi that you can't trace to a setting or script (last one is always doubtful). Suck it and see.
That's right... Just suck it! 😂

hah. Well I changed it to usb2 as I followed the guide. So will prolly just leave it at that

After every router's reboot USB SSD drive is not detected. I have to unplug cable and plug it again in order to have disk "visible" in the system.
1720103783420.png

The same when router is powered off, then I wait 5 minutes and power it on.
Could it be caused by USB to SATA adapter made in Chinese? I doubt because it works when disconnected and connected in the powered on router.

hah. Well I changed it to usb2 as I followed the guide. So will prolly just leave it at that
You can switch between USB2.0 and USB3.0 at any time.
USB to SATA adapter made in Chinese
Have you tried switching to USB2.0?
We're seeing more and more USB3.0 enclosures/adapters (not just from China) that just can't do USB3.0.

You can switch between USB2.0 and USB3.0 at any time.

Have you tried switching to USB2.0?
We're seeing more and more USB3.0 enclosures/adapters (not just from China) that just can't do USB3.0.
Yes, I change the mode from USB 3.0 to 2.0. Same result: USB SSD not detected after restarting router.
I changed also USB to SATA adapter from this cheap Chinese one to, I think, more "professional" ADATA EXAGON model. Unfortunately result the same: USB SSD drive not detected after restarting router.
Am I the only one who is facing this issue with SSD drive?

Yes, I change the mode from USB 3.0 to 2.0. Same result: USB SSD not detected after restarting router.
I changed also USB to SATA adapter from this cheap Chinese one to, I think, more "professional" ADATA EXAGON model. Unfortunately result the same: USB SSD drive not detected after restarting router.
Seems like it? This is the enclosure I have, and don't have any issues. I also have a Samsung 870 Evo.

SABRENT 2.5 Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool free CLEAR External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized for SSD, Supports UASP SATA III] (EC-OCUB) https://a.co/d/041xPc4l

If you've experienced the same problem with another adapter then there's something on/about the ssd the router doesn't like. What format have you used, what did you format on, and what's on it?

What says the Syslog when it tries to mount the device?

If you've experienced the same problem with another adapter then there's something on/about the ssd the router doesn't like. What format have you used, what did you format on, and what's on it?
All default settings when I ran format disk from amtm menu so it is ext4.
I'm not entirely sure something is with SSD drive itself. Once again: when router is rebooted SSD is not detected but when router is running then unplug cable from USB port and plug it again causing that drive is automatically detected and everything is OK so it looks to me something like drive is not detected in the boot sequence but is perfectly fine detected when unplug/plug cable is done.
If you could test your 870 EVO SSD disk with attaching it directly without enclosure but using only adapter like I do then we could confirm or deny if lack of enclosure is the root cause of my issue. Is it possible for you to perform that test?

I have enabled debug syslog and there is no single sign for the action of mounting disk when router is starting.
Could be that the power supply is to weak to also power the SSD.

Could be that the power supply is to weak to also power the SSD.
Could be.
It might be that the power on USB port is "appearing" a little bit later, just too late when OS is performing the action of mounting external drive and is "thinking" there is no drive at this time of boot sequence.
I'm thinking about some script that could be launched after lets say 5 or 10 seconds after the reboot is completed and do drive mounting. It should work because the power on USB at this time is there and as I confirmed - I can "mount" drive by unplugging and plugging cable to USB port.
I have zero programming skills so the question: is it possible to do?

Could be.
It might be that the power on USB port is "appearing" a little bit later, just too late when OS is performing the action of mounting external drive and is "thinking" there is no drive at this time of boot sequence.
I'm thinking about some script that could be launched after lets say 5 or 10 seconds after the reboot is completed and do drive mounting. It should work because the power on USB at this time is there and as I confirmed - I can "mount" drive by unplugging and plugging cable to USB port.
I have zero programming skills so the question: is it possible to do?
If the router does not detect the drive during boot a script will not help. And if it eventually does detect the drive would mount things properly anyway.
Your problem is either power or hardware related. Fix that first.

Using enclosure for my 870 EVO SSD disk result is the same: disk is not detected automatically after router reboot.
Strange thing is that it is "visible" in the system:
1720641461015.png

but apparently is not mounted.

When I unplug and plug cable to USB port again when router is powered on then it is automatically detected:
1720641756463.png

I have no idea why it is not detected after router reboot and how to fix.
Wasted money for the disk and enclosure.
Going back to use USB stick.

I purchased https://www.amazon.ca/ORICO-External-Enclosure-Optimized-Transparent/dp/B01LY97QE8?tag=smallncom-20 which seems to be the same as your suggestion of SABRENT model.
Result is the same: SSD drive Samsung EVO 870 is not mounted after my router reboot.

My suspicion is that something must be wrong either with ASUS RT-AX88U Pro or with AsusWRT-Merlin.

Is there anyone here who could confirm that the SSD with enclosure is detected/mounted correctly after restarting ASUS RT-AX88U Pro with Merlin?
or
is there anyone here who could confirm that the SSD with enclosure is detected/mounted correctly after restarting ASUS RT-AX88U Pro with stock Asus-WRT?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!