What's new

Apple TV2 - home sharing issue - works wired not wireless same router????

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I have a setup with a router in my office and a switch near my TV that allows to connect several devices including my TV and my ATV 2 to the Internet.

All was working flawlessly until yesterday morning when suddenly my ATV could no longer login and then had problems with network time, etc.

I worked out that it was not obtaining a correct IP address from my router and also saw that the TV was not connecting to the Internet as before. When connecting the ATV over wireless it works but that doesn't give me the bandwidth I would like.

To eliminate issues I connected the Ethernet cable near my TV directly to the ATV, circumventing the switch. This did not fix it.

I then changed routers from my WBR-6003 (level one) to one supplied by my ISP (which I don't like). After doing that the ATV suddenly worked again over Ethernet (through the switch) but then stopped after a few minutes again and lost the credentials.

Now I am wondering if my cable provider (that provides my access for Internet, TV, and telephony) is blocking something but if they are why would it work over WiFi and not over Ethernet.

Keep in mind I made no changes whatsoever to any settings in either router so why would they work one minute and not the next.

Any ideas would be much appreciated?

Have you tried to run Diagnostics (#4) on the ATV?

I have not but I'm pretty convinced it's a networking or ISP issue, not the ATV. It works over WiFi as does my Internet connected TV but both stopped working over Ethernet since yesterday and all worked over Ethernet until then (for a few weeks since I installed).

Last edited:
I have not but I'm pretty convinced it's a networking or ISP issue, not the ATV. It works over WiFi as does my Internet connected TV but both stopped working over Ethernet since yesterday and all worked over Ethernet until then (for a few weeks since I installed).

Suddenly stopped working, that is the issue for me.

Looking at the DHCP leases, do you see both the TV and the ATV?

Are you able to ping both the TV and the ATV?

Is upnp enabled for the router?

Suddenly stopped working, that is the issue for me.

Looking at the DHCP leases, do you see both the TV and the ATV?

Are you able to ping both the TV and the ATV?

Is upnp enabled for the router?

GregN - thank you for that.

At the time I could see both the TV and ATV in the DHCP leases yes. I didn't try pinging them though.

Anyway, I couldn't touch it for a day as I was busy. Today, I reconnected the switch and voila, everything was working again. My TV and ATV worked fine over Ethernet.

I'm going to check it again soon but was hoping you could explain why and how upnp could impact this? It is not enabled in my router. I could enable it but would appreciate an explanation as I have heard that enabling upnp (at least on Windows) can create a security risk.

If it happens again I will look again at the leases and try pinging.

I'm going to check it again soon but was hoping you could explain why and how upnp could impact this? It is not enabled in my router. I could enable it but would appreciate an explanation as I have heard that enabling upnp (at least on Windows) can create a security risk.

If it happens again I will look again at the leases and try pinging.

Universal Plug & Play is used by quite a few consumer devices to open firewalled ports and add themselves to your router's NAT. Consumers then don't have to fiddle with their router configurations to enable those devices to take full advantage of your net connection.

Software like bittorrent clients additionally use upnp to open ports so you can receive incoming connections from other peers.

The security risk is that malware, trojans and alike can use upnp, since there is no authentication or permissions required, essentially doing a "Shields Down" on your firewall, opening you to further attacks. Earlier Botnet clients used upnp to open ports so it could receive command and control instructions.

XBox, LG Internet connected TVs and other media devices rely on upnp to get out to the net or to advertise their services internally. I don't know about Apple TV ( apple generally is not upnp friendly )

You said your internet TV was also failing to talk to the network.

Glad to help, update us if it fails again...

Had same problem amd fixed

I am not sure if you did this because it wasn't mentioned. I had to Change Network Security in*Router from WEP to WPA-2 because of HDCP
Hello -

I have asked this on the Apple forums and the D-Link forums but no one can seem to help - so I thought I would give it a go here. What I just can't figure out is that it works when plugged in Ethernet but not WIFI - IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY..... sorry had to get that off my chest. SO if you can help please read on.

I cannot get my home sharing to work with my Win7 PC - specifically my library does not show up on the ATV2 computers section. I have done all the proper setup (me thinks):

- turned on home sharing on the pc and put in my password
- tried the done button "fix" to keep home sharing in the tree active....
- unplugged the apple tv and router multiple times....
- turned home sharing on and off in the ATV2 menu
- Itunes is permitted in the win 7 firewall page
- bla bla bla

Router - Dlink DIR-665

I decided to run an Ethernet cord across the floor and plug the atv2 in directly and within about 30 seconds my computer appeared and things were fine. I unplugged it allowing it reconnected to my wifi router it vanished.

This must be a setting in the router... but I cannot figure it out. Any ideas - thanks in advance for any help.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!