What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well Asus tech support is telling me to return router for a new one , as the reset instructions they sent and I posted above has not worked . Strange they are giving up so quickly ? Is this a bad unit , or is it model wide problem ? No beta FW to test nothing , just return router ???
Strange how it can sometimes go for 10 minutes before dropping connection , other times it's seconds .
Wish the was a way to turn off individual radios , then I could test 1 radio at a time , see if it drops connection with no other radio broadcasting

can you tell me how ti turn off the radio individually ? I don't see a switch to turn off scratch that , in professional settings

So the problem was NOT the ROUTER , but 2 of the computers I was using for testing had problems , one a cable , the other was a finicky wireless card . Still not using smart connect , but no drops so far using latest Merlin 3 headed monster . Strange how 2 computers had simi;ar problems at the same time .

I've been considering this router as a replacement for my AC66U. My wireless performance is fine but I would like the traffic analysis and DPI features that you can only get with the ARM CPUs so that means AC68U or newer.

I don't really understand why people are saying things like "if you don't use Smart Connect you might as well buy a 68U" or "don't expect much of a range/speed improvement". I checked the Router Charts http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tool...-rtac68u/1689-asus-rtac87u/1920-asus-rtac3200 and it basically jumps out at you on the 5GHz plots, though on 2.4 it's basically the same as the 87U (which has the speed edge) and 68U (which has the range edge)

I don't have near enough wireless clients to need Smart Connect but I'm definitely looking forward to the new (coming from the 66U) traffic management features

Well, got it today and installed. Everything working great so far. No disconnects (knock on wood) so far. Setup the AC66U as a media bridge and it connects at 1170Mbps. The only issue I have is, on the Network Map page, I have a yellow exclamation mark for the DDNS... if I click it, it just says: "The domain name xxx.com is registered.". Not really an error, just annoying.

Well, got it today and installed. Everything working great so far. No disconnects (knock on wood) so far. Setup the AC66U as a media bridge and it connects at 1170Mbps. The only issue I have is, on the Network Map page, I have a yellow exclamation mark for the DDNS... if I click it, it just says: "The domain name xxx.com is registered.". Not really an error, just annoying.

I'm using the same setup , getting the same rate , now that the cable and card are replaced no problems . And yes I'm seeing a big improvement , love the 2 5 ghz radios , don't use 2.4 so don't care about it that much . So far I'd say well worth keeping .

The only issue I have is, on the Network Map page, I have a yellow exclamation mark for the DDNS... if I click it, it just says: "The domain name xxx.com is registered.". Not really an error, just annoying.

That's because your asusddns account is tied to the RT-AC66U's MAC address. You will have to plug back the AC66U, and have it set up a different asusddns. That will free up your old name for reuse with the AC3200.

I just tried giving it a separate name instead and still get the same issue. Do I need to take the 66U out of media bridge mode, put it in router mode (to access the ddns page) and then disable the DDNS Client entirely on the 66U or something?

Last edited:
I just tried giving it a separate name instead and still get the same issue. Do I need to take the 66U out of media bridge mode, put it in router mode (to access the ddns page) and then disable the DDNS Client entirely on the 66U or something?

Put it in router mode, make sure the DDNS server is enabled, and give it a different name. That way, the old name will no longer be associated with that router's MAC, and it will become available for use with the new router.

Well.. i finally got mine.
range wise, i previously had Linksys E4200 the range are EXTREMELY better now !
I turned SMART CONNECT OFF, and i get 5GHZ signal all over my house while the router are in a concrete room !
the 2.4 GHZ is tricky.. it don't seems to work so good . i get disconnection often..not because of a signal. and i have the latest firmware.
i will test is a few more days with SMART CONNECT OFF and then try it ON.
so far.. pretty good. I'm happy ;)

instead of using smart connect or roaming feature on the client it might be better to just define 2 access points and manually connect each device to a different one based on when and how much bandwidth you intend to use. It shouldnt use much brainpower to figure out how much you expect to use and to balance it yourself.

Does anyone know the CPU clock speed on the AC3200 yet? I'm just wondering where all that USB storage performance comes from.

Possible return

I have 4 more days to return this and I am leaning towards it. The disconnects are so frequent on the 2.4ghz band, it is not useable sometimes. I am all for beta testing but this has to work on the most basic of levels.

and I have talked to support many times, they suggested now to return it and exchange. But why exchange if same thing?

What do I get now guys? Back to a AC2400? Please let me know. I need great reception on 2.4 and 5ghz bands.

Hmm. Now I'm bitter that my overclocked AC87U has worse storage performance. :)

SDK7 includes a number of performance improvements for USB throughput.

And no, things aren't as simple as just recompiling the RT-AC87U firmware with SDK7. Broadcom does not officially support the hardware used by the RT-AC87U in SDK7, and also SDK7 means losing some features such as repeater mode.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!