What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U/AC87U 3.0.0.4_378_7177 Official Beta Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This feature can be enabled in any arm-platform, I think Merlin can do that, ASUS official firmware only enable traffic analyzer in AC3200.

What's the significance of [For Japan Only]

Is it only for specific models or can it be used on any device?
You can use it on any device, no matter the region [emoji6]

Replied through Tapatalk

Under QoS. It's a third QoS mode that was added, beside Traditional and Adaptive.

It currently affects the entire network. They have plans for a more advanced configuration in the future (can't share their plans just yet).

I don't know if it's fully working yet either. Remember that these are beta builds, so they could still be Work-in-progress. Like some other features I spotted in the AC87U beta, and which I'm not sure what they are for. (new binaries and libraries added).
I have requested this since long time ago but for Guest AP's. Hope they add it in future.

Replied through Tapatalk

Quick question. I am using Merlin 378.54_2 on an 68u. I was browsing the nvram and came across three entries I was curious about. I checked the source code and the entries are present there as well. Anyone have any info?

wan1_routing_isp=china_mobile
modem_roaming_scanlist=/tmp/cops.txt
wan0_routing_isp=china_mobile

That's a great question. Anyone? Merlin?

CC

I have requested this since long time ago but for Guest AP's. Hope they add it in future.

A little bird told me that was already planned.

Quick question. I am using Merlin 378.54_2 on an 68u. I was browsing the nvram and came across three entries I was curious about. I checked the source code and the entries are present there as well. Anyone have any info?

wan1_routing_isp=china_mobile
modem_roaming_scanlist=/tmp/cops.txt
wan0_routing_isp=china_mobile

That's just the default values for a setting required by some ISPs, which configure special entries in the routing tables for those ISPs. The routes are listed under /rom/etc/static_routes/ for those specific ISPs that need it.

It's not doing anything unless you are with these ISPs since routing_isp_enable also defaults to disabled. It's been there for years, nothing new to see there.

Anyone else notice that you can not do a restore to factory default or reboot in this version from the gui. The wheel just spins without any % completion indicator. I also can not even change the firmware version unless I press the reset button for 5 seconds on the router then set up the device wifi and immediately go to firmware upgrade.

I downgraded and it works fine on previous versions. I then went back to this beta and same problems.

Anyone else notice that you can not do a restore to factory default or reboot in this version from the gui. The wheel just spins without any % completion indicator. I also can not even change the firmware version unless I press the reset button for 5 seconds on the router then set up the device wifi and immediately go to firmware upgrade.

I downgraded and it works fine on previous versions. I then went back to this beta and same problems.

Open your web browser console and see if it reports any Javascript error.

with this firmware i'm unable to config some of my setting, the first couple tabs i was able to save but after i keep seeing the message applying settings with out any percent showing.

Open your web browser console and see if it reports any Javascript error.
Hi Merlin,

Here is the response from the console when I try to hit the restore button on the gui.

Application Cache Checking event
Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp:1 Application Cache Error event: Manifest
fetch failed (9) https://router.asus.com:8443/manifest.appcache
Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp:40 POST https://router.asus.com:8443/apply.cgi net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSErestoreRule @ Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp:40onclick @ Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp:172

I am using Safari and Chrome and getting the same response. It will also not work from any of my IOS devices. I should also note that I am using OSX Mavericks beta and IOS 9 Betas. It did however work for the last month or so with all the other versions of Asus Firmware with the same devices and works with these devices when i downgrade the Asus Firmware.

Update1: Just checked using OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 and same issue with 7177
Update2: Running your latest 378.55 Beta 2 and no issues
Update3: Telnet works for reseting the NVRAM and also rebooting in 7177

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
with this firmware i'm unable to config some of my setting, the first couple tabs i was able to save but after i keep seeing the message applying settings with out any percent showing.

Same problem I am having.

Yes, WPS still turns on on each reboot.
5Ghz is responding very well and stable, only if I turn beamforming off and keep WPS on. Switch any of those options and will be a disaster or won't be able to connect to it.

My Samsung devices after a long period of time disconnects, but apple devices stays connected (5Ghz talking)

Replied through Tapatalk
I flashed this firmware and restored default setting, and the 5GHhz still unstable after running one day. Although my iphone6p didn't disconnect, but the ping start to higher, almost two times than 2.4Ghz. To be honest, Although I have been disappointed with ac87u's 5Ghz, but this time i would like to test a few more days then make a conclusion

ya, ac87u's 5ghz has 2-3ms to it, which is dumb. I wonder why nobody who have access to private betas or quantenna contact questioned them yet.

Extra 2-3ms for games is definitely out of question, especially only 15ft away from the router.

ya, ac87u's 5ghz has 2-3ms to it, which is dumb. I wonder why nobody who have access to private betas or quantenna contact questioned them yet.

Extra 2-3ms for games is definitely out of question, especially only 15ft away from the router.

Nobody will ever notice 2-3ms, and this is fairly common with wifi. Wifi is a shared network, once you have more than one device on wifi, these must take turn in contacting the router. That means you can have packet retransmission and/or slight delays of a few ms.

You will never get Ethernet levels of latency or jitter on a wireless connection.

Huh, this is the first time I get 2-3ms to a 5ghz router, ever. This is also when I have only one device connected.

Use logic please. Its not about noticing it, its about having higher latency. Lower is better.

2 ms here, 1 ms there, 2 more there... Just no. It all adds up and its illogical to think that its only 2-3ms and its acceptable. Hell, I buy my mouse depending on its latency. I buy my keyboard depending on the key registration latency. I play games and the lower the latency, the closer to realtime.

Luckily, you dont have to notice those things. :) It will still register faster whether you notice it or not... Same applies to network latency.

I know wired is better. I use wired right now because the AC87U is unusable on 5ghz, due to the fact that I get too many disconnections and 2-3ms is unacceptable to me. Its not like the router is miles away, its 15ft away! That latency is so high for its distance. However, although wired is better... I cant keep using that because it really gets in the way, its a temporary solution.

If you do notice it, thats a plus!

Last edited:
Hi,

Here's the link to it:

RT-AC68U: https://www.dropbox.com/s/opfjc64jpzyrpp1/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_378_7177-g679815c.trx?dl=0
RT-AC87U: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qr50udo5k7gusv3/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_7177-g679815c.trx?dl=0

- Release Note -

[For Japan Only]
Security fixes
- Fixed CSRF and XSS vulnerability when router is in default status (user does not set the router yet)
- Fixed 5G WPS pin code related issue

New features
- Added client list view button on network map and help administrator easily monitor all client connection status.
- Added the question feedback in Administration -> Feedback
- Added new DDNS provider www.oray.com

Bug fixes
- Fixed login issue when router’s IP is 10.x.x.x
- Fixed parental control-> time scheduling related issue.
- Fixed adaptive QoS device priority label dragging issue.
- Fixed network tool related issues.
- Fixed USB HDD issue when using time machine.
- Improved media server response time when new file added.
- Fixed network map UI issue when selected French.
- Added stateful server in IPv6
- Fixed the saving issue in OpenVPN server -> content modification of keys & certification.
- Fixed WAN led issue when dual wan enabled.
- Changed 5GHz driver to improved connected issue.

Enjoy,

UPDATE: 5Ghz band in AC87U is still not working for me when WPS is off and BF on.

This version is terrible. 5 GHZ very unstable. Random disconnects and loss of internet on both bands.
Very unstable. Cannot last longer than 1 day without a reboot. Also when it was working it sucks my SGS6 battery badly. Back to DDWRT for me.

CC

This version is terrible. 5 GHZ very unstable. Random disconnects and loss of internet on both bands.
Very unstable. Cannot last longer than 1 day without a reboot. Also when it was working it sucks my SGS6 battery badly. Back to DDWRT for me.

CC
I don't know why it affects you so badly. In my case just had to keep WPS on and beamforming off and 5Ghz works

Did you do a hard reset and reconfigured all manually (not restoring with the cfg file)?

Replied through Tapatalk

Huh, this is the first time I get 2-3ms to a 5ghz router, ever. This is also when I have only one device connected.

Use logic please. Its not about noticing it, its about having higher latency. Lower is better.

2 ms here, 1 ms there, 2 more there... Just no. It all adds up and its illogical to think that its only 2-3ms and its acceptable. Hell, I buy my mouse depending on its latency. I buy my keyboard depending on the key registration latency. I play games and the lower the latency, the closer to realtime.

Luckily, you dont have to notice those things. :) It will still register faster whether you notice it or not... Same applies to network latency.

I know wired is better. I use wired right now because the AC87U is unusable on 5ghz, due to the fact that I get too many disconnections and 2-3ms is unacceptable to me. Its not like the router is miles away, its 15ft away! That latency is so high for its distance. However, although wired is better... I cant keep using that because it really gets in the way, its a temporary solution.

If you do notice it, thats a plus!

Agree with your point. In my case, my AC device will random loss internet besides higher latency, and the latency will be higher and higher over time. No relationship with distance, even if the router is on my side. To be honest, the Quantenna driver constantly updated, so far they didn't solve 5Ghz issue, I even began to suspect that's hardware flaw. I also have AC68U, its 5Ghz is very stable, don't have such problem, although i haven't updated firmware for a long time.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!