What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For me, with FW.583, the Samsung apps are not working onto my TV, and with FW.4561 everything works well, even Samsung apps, ... but the router is restarting frequently.
I hope that bug on FW.4561 to be fixed as soon can be, ... otherwise the router is very good because it can sustain that 1000 Mbps speed wich my ISP it gives me :D

I think I isolated an good example how to kill AC68U with 4561 firmware: having a N client on 2.4GHz into a -65db level or lower than that and doing some sort of high traffic, like youtube or file download...it will kill the 68U router. All the time, at least for me this works 100%!
In 5G is a bit more reliable, but still, half of the time, a client in 5GHz with signal worst than -70db that is doing some significant traffic will reload the router.
I put my router in 20MHz channel spacing in 2.4GHz and at 40MHz in 5GHz, at Asus suggestion. This put me into the above example. With auto channel spacing router is even more sensible, it reloads at 5-10db better signal.

This message was also send to Asus. It's clearly a wireless driver issue. Let's see what Asus can find out.

I think I isolated an good example how to kill AC68U with 4561 firmware: having a N client on 2.4GHz into a -65db level or lower than that and doing some sort of high traffic, like youtube or file download...it will kill the 68U router. All the time, at least for me this works 100%!
In 5G is a bit more reliable, but still, half of the time, a client in 5GHz with signal worst than -70db that is doing some significant traffic will reload the router.
I put my router in 20MHz channel spacing in 2.4GHz and at 40MHz in 5GHz, at Asus suggestion. This put me into the above example. With auto channel spacing router is even more sensible, it reloads at 5-10db better signal.

This message was also send to Asus. It's clearly a wireless driver issue. Let's see what Asus can find out.

I think you are into something. I purchased this router a couple of days ago. And went to my basement to see if the signal was better than my previous router. I used speedtest app on my Android phone to measure how much the speed decrease when signal decrease.
When I had a really poor reception the router rebooted during this test.
That's the only time it has rebooted for me.
I can run this test tomorrow again to see if I can reproduce this in the exact same spot in the basement.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AC68U with 4561 - re-boots!

Having a nightmare with my 2day old AC68U..
Rooter re-boots at least twice a day.. and gives intermittent web connectivity.

Re-boot problem seems to still be a prevalent thread on this forum ..with users trying various things to get stability.. is there a common theme to any of our setups? is there a solution which has worked for anyone?

I guess I have little choice but to wait on a firmware fix from Asus, or return the router for a refund!
Does anyone have any insider knowledge about progress on a fix from Asus? Is there a support contact we can lobby?

Any help or guidance appreciated..

This has been an ongoing issue since 2/21 on 4561 and 2/13 on 4422. You can downgrade to 374.83 firmware to eliminate the rebooting and then wait for new firmware or as you stated, return it for a refund.

As recommended earlier, I put on Merlin's Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.40_alpha4 and haven't had a reboot in over a day.

It must be quite embarrassing for Asus that the latest firmware reboots continually for some (me included) so I would have thought they would of fixed it by now.

As recommended earlier, I put on Merlin's Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.40_alpha4 and haven't had a reboot in over a day.

It must be quite embarrassing for Asus that the latest firmware reboots continually for some (me included) so I would have thought they would of fixed it by now.

Asus said they can't re-produce the issue as of yet....

Least there are folks like RMerlin that work closely with Asus....if not...then...I doubt Asus would care much...as most other companies love to downplay or ignore user reported issues when they can't reproduce said issue.

Just moments ago I had my third random reboot, it seems each of the 3 times it has happened my PS3 has been on. I'm fairly sure in my case at-least this is whats causing the reboots, I'm just not exactly sure why though. I have it in a DMZ which could be a potential reason. Lets hope Asus find the cause.

Could also be why people been pointing finger at apple devices. I have had it reboot streaming a video at the edge of my wireless signal on my iphone 5. Its a n wireless device and I have a bunch of them.

Last edited:
After disabling DLNA I've been running so far:

2 days 10 hours 3 minutes 45 seconds

Has anyone with really frequent tried disabling uPNP/DLNA?
It can be found under USB Applications -> Servers Center -> "Enable DLNA Media Server"

I think this is worth investigating further. I have noticed similar behavior when my apple devices (could be coincidental - anecdotal observation) are in the fringes of the routers WiFi range.

After disabling DLNA I've been running so far:

2 days 10 hours 3 minutes 45 seconds

Has anyone with really frequent tried disabling uPNP/DLNA?
It can be found under USB Applications -> Servers Center -> "Enable DLNA Media Server"

I never had dlna enabled and my router still reboots like a bitch.

Is Asus acknowledging the problem at least? Their flag ship router becomes their biggest embarrassment .
Wonderful pice of hardware riddled by bad firmware...

Is Asus acknowledging the problem at least? Their flag ship router becomes their biggest embarrassment .
Wonderful pice of hardware riddled by bad firmware...

Asus is more then aware of the problem but they claim they cant reproduce it. So until they are able to reproduce it we are all in limbo waiting.

The Merlin builds 374_39 and 374_40alpha4 are stable and work ok with the 68U. You might want to give those a try till Asus comes up with a fix.

I agree though this is getting old and the clock is ticking $200.00 flagship router with busted firmware is never a good thing. :(

I am using this router as an AP only. Still using factory firmware listed as 3.0.0.4.374_379 and hw revision is A1. I have not had a single reboot as an AP since the day I plugged it in and connected to my network. Possibly since I'm not using the majority of software functionality of the device maybe why I haven't had any reboots?
Also, many of the firmware updates that have been released (certainly after my outdated 379 version) contain apparent security updates. Since I'm using the router in AP mode only am I safe not upgrading the firmware and maintaining current software, especially since it's been working perfectly? Thanks for any info you all can share!

I am using this router as an AP only. Still using factory firmware listed as 3.0.0.4.374_379 and hw revision is A1. I have not had a single reboot as an AP since the day I plugged it in and connected to my network. Possibly since I'm not using the majority of software functionality of the device maybe why I haven't had any reboots?

The issue only appeared with 374_4420.

Also, many of the firmware updates that have been released (certainly after my outdated 379 version) contain apparent security updates. Since I'm using the router in AP mode only am I safe not upgrading the firmware and maintaining current software, especially since it's been working perfectly? Thanks for any info you all can share!

Personally I would recommend upgrading to 374_583. Asus has also improved the wireless driver over the past couple of releases, which would be of interest to you even in AP mode.

None of the recent security fixes would apply to AP mode.

Last edited:
I'll try to ping back my contacts at Asus to see if they had made any progress, or if there was anything people could do to help in tracking down the root cause.

Agree! I've have two of these routers and one of them has been running with firmware 583 for over 70 days in AP-mode with no problems. Very stable, no reboots!!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!