What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_51685 (2024/04/15)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My RT-AC68U is a converted TM-AC1900, which runs Asuswrt-Merlin 3004_384.13 from 2019.
Still running fine, currently in Repeater mode (from an RT-AX86U) for only my USB-printer upstairs.
However, I have not been able to update that router with any Asus or Merlin firmware since 2019.
Was the TM-AC1900 properly jail broken? Including performing the MTD5 partition fix? Failure to do the MTD5 partition fix may prevent newer firmware from being loaded to the TM-AC1900 router. See following link for example of how to fix the MTD5 partition.
https://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/

Was the TM-AC1900 properly jail broken? Including performing the MTD5 partition fix? Failure to do the MTD5 partition fix may prevent newer firmware from being loaded to the TM-AC1900 router. See following link for example of how to fix the MTD5 partition.
https://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/
That's exactly how I converted my machine.
Just in case: I was not complaining that I can't update firmware, it still does what I need it for.

That's exactly how I converted my machine.
Just in case: I was not complaining that I can't update firmware, it still does what I need it for.
One may need to update to a slightly older firmware version before updating to the latest if their current firmware version is significantly older. The TM-AC1900 can be updated to 3.0.0.4.386_51685, some have successfully done so using the manual flash method through the router GUI. Same with the very latest stable Asus Merlin firmware.

As a troubleshooting step. One may have to do a hard factory reset then flash the latest firmware. Note recent Asus Merlin firmware tries to deal with the low NVRAM issue that can plague the RT-AC68U/TM-AC1900 routers. There is a process (clear_vpnclients.sh) one is supposed to run indicated in the Asus Merlin release notes for 386.11 (14-May-2023) specific for the RT-AC68U.

Hi. I have an ax86u as my main router and the ac86u and the ac68u as ai mesh nodes. since the latest firmware updates, the ac68u shows in the add aimesh node page and adds successfully. However, rather than becoming a part of the aimesh network, it just shows as one of the connected wireless devices with the ai mesh router and does not act as an aimesh nodes.
The AX86u and ac86u are also connected with an ethernet backhaul.
Any suggestions regarding the AC68u?

Hi. I have an ax86u as my main router and the ac86u and the ac68u as ai mesh nodes. since the latest firmware updates, the ac68u shows in the add aimesh node page and adds successfully. However, rather than becoming a part of the aimesh network, it just shows as one of the connected wireless devices with the ai mesh router and does not act as an aimesh nodes.
The AX86u and ac86u are also connected with an ethernet backhaul.
Any suggestions regarding the AC68u?

You should start your own thread here.

The AC68U node did not add successfully, yes?

The AC68U is end-of-life... it may eventually not 'mesh' with a router using current firmware.

Without knowing more about how you manage ASUSWRT firmware, and given the issue arose after some firmware updates, advice here may tend to be 'start over' to be sure the firmware is in order before troubleshooting further. In particular, install the firmware, reset it to its default settings, and then configure it from scratch... do not restore saved settings.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize also clears data logged in /jffs partition

If you don't want to restart that much at first, try Hard Resetting the AC68U firmware and adding it again to the AiMesh.

OE

45 days and mesh routers disappear from main AC68U connection with subsequent clients offline too. Switching Professional 5ghz off and on and all springs back to life. Will observe for more time.

The ntp protocol does not synchronize on the ac68u. Anyone here having problems like this?

I've already used the most recommended NTP servers, nothing, it keeps showing the error "The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server", what can I do to get around this error? The logs present this information:

May 5 02:36:25 ntp: start NTP update

It keeps repeating itself over and over again. My internet provider provides this ont, on it the ntp updates without problems, even the servers that have nts support, but on the ac68u it does not update. I tested with merlin too, it's the same error, is this some incompatibility with the new firmware?

The default NTP server is: pool.ntp.org
A first check is to see if you can successfully ping this address.
1721113765405.png

The default NTP server is: pool.ntp.org
A first check is to see if you can successfully ping this address.
View attachment 60220

It is pinging to the address, so this means that the problem must be my internet provider, which is blocking udp port 123 for both outgoing and incoming, correct?

In this case, what can I do to minimize the problem?

CawhV5F.png

Is your ISP device in router mode or in bridge mode and how is your Asus router connected to the ISP device?

Is your ISP device in router mode or in bridge mode and how is your Asus router connected to the ISP device?
The ont was installed and configured in router mode, I used my ac68u in ac mode.

The ac68u's ntp service does not work, both in ac and dhcp mode. On ont, the ntp service works normally, its date and time works without problems.

At the moment, I configured the ont for bridge mode and the ac68u for router mode, dialing pppoe, even so, the asuswrt ntp service does not synchronize.

The question was how is it connected - ISP device LAN port to Asus WAN or LAN port? In both AP Mode and Router Mode it has to be WAN. Some router models won't get NTP sync on LAN port connection even though all the ports in AP Mode including the WAN are technically LAN ports.

WWr1MqD.jpeg

The LAN1 port of the ONT is connected to the WAN port of the AC68U. At the moment the ac68u is in ac mode, I have already tested with the ont in routed mode and using the ac68u in dhcp mode, the ntp service continues without synchronizing.

My pc is connected to the ac68u's lan1 port.

Sorry, I'm not sure how your router is configured, can't help you further.

The available operation modes for most Asus routers are described here:

This specific firmware for RT-AC68U models doesn't have NTP sync issues.
The ISP device is in router mode, it is making the PPPoE connection, the ac68u is in AC mode.

I tried to activate the same ntp server on both, isp device and the ac68u, unfortunately the ac68u still does not synchronize the ntp.

I also tested configuring the ISP device in bridge mode and the ac68u in router mode, making the pppoe connection, it didn't help, the ntp server doesn't synchronize either.

You perhaps need to read the User Manual again, eventually reset your router and start over with your configuration. There is no AC mode, DHCP mode nor Dynamic mode (from your previous posts). Seems like no one else has this NTP sync issue, must be something around your settings. 🤷‍♂️

The ISP device is in router mode, it is making the PPPoE connection, the ac68u is in AC mode.

I tried to activate the same ntp server on both, isp device and the ac68u, unfortunately the ac68u still does not synchronize the ntp.

I also tested configuring the ISP device in bridge mode and the ac68u in router mode, making the pppoe connection, it didn't help, the ntp server doesn't synchronize either.
It is highly unlikely that your ISP is blocking port 123 for the NTP protocol, or blocking any port.
Also consumer routers do by default not block any ports.
Your answers to the further questions do not make any sense, as outlined by Tech9.
Setting the time manual is another option, why would you bother about a highly accurate time in your router.

I am using Entware (https://gist.github.com/1951FDG/3cada1211df8a59a95a8a71db6310299) on RT-AC66U B1 with 3.0.0.4.386_51685 and since upgrade the variable script_usbmount from NVRAM is lost after reboot.
This variable is used to runt a script automatically when USB stick is mounted, especially after reboot.
Anyone using Entware has seen this?
Just so we understand correctly. You are using stock Asus 3.0.0.4.386_51685 firmware (not Asus-Merlin), and are using the directions for Entware that are for Asus-Merlin firmware. Is that correct? Did you upgrade from Asus-Merlin firmware to the stock Asus 3.0.0.4.386_51685 firmware? If so you likely lost all ability to run any add-on Asus-Merlin scripts and possibly Entware as well with the stock Asus firmware.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!