What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is quite normal with the AC87. Seems as if the 5ghz band sucks big time. A lot of us are waiting for a firmware update to resolve the issues with that band. 2.4ghz works fine.

my experience is the opposite. my 5 GHz band is stable. 2.4GHz drops left and right. :confused:

Well it has been over 2 months now since last official firmware release for this router, and I have grew to like Asus with there router support. But with this $300 router, and support lately. I am growing more disappointed in Asus, as I even feel it's been hard for us to even get beta release's from them lately. Plus the beta release's we have gotten, come with no known bug fixes. Which makes it hard on us again to give any feedback on certain issue's.

I know this post is probably coming off as someone who is a little salty, and it's probably true to a point. I just expect better support from Asus, regarding one of there newest router's out at the moment.

Well it has been over 2 months now since last official firmware release for this router, and I have grew to like Asus with there router support. But with this $300 router, and support lately. I am growing more disappointed in Asus, as I even feel it's been hard for us to even get beta release's from them lately. Plus the beta release's we have gotten, come with no known bug fixes. Which makes it hard on us again to give any feedback on certain issue's.

I know this post is probably coming off as someone who is a little salty, and it's probably true to a point. I just expect better support from Asus, regarding one of there newest router's out at the moment.

Exactly, i have to agree on this. I do understand in not giving a specific time frame on when the fix will come, as technical progress depends on multiple factors. At least, update us on the progress thus far.

I am not an advanced user in terms of networking, however with my level of expectation, i expect my a $300-ish router to be performing way above my expectation. Its just disappointing to experiencing a good hardware with disappointing software, making the whole product half-baked.

All I ask is for a good, working, and reliable wireless-AC connection that satisfies my work, play and streaming of full HD content over the way with my smart tv.

In my daily experience, the above needs are often not met. 5Ghz will consistently drop throughout the day and i need to reset it for like 6-7 times a day in order for it to work again.

How asus? tell me how.

I'm running the firmware zoon shared. If needed, I'll fall back to 3561, or probably get it replaced 1-1.

DNLA server

My DNLA server is stopping after a certain period of inactivity, returning to work only after router reboot or reapplying the server configuration. Someone with the new beta could test this?

I could not find decisive answer on this, but what is the difference between the RT-AC87U to the RT-AC87R?

Sorry if this was explained before, I could not find the answer.

Thanks ahead.

My DNLA server is stopping after a certain period of inactivity, returning to work only after router reboot or reapplying the server configuration. Someone with the new beta could test this?

See if your hard disk is going to sleep after a certain period if inactivity. I remember at least one person who had a similar issue where the DLNA server would quit working after a while, it was caused by his HDD going asleep.

I keep on speaking high of this router, and for the most part it works for me, BUT today thanksgiving day, IT (87r) decided to lock up on me like all others posters! Started streaming from my smart tv 5GHz and 10 minutes into the movie lost 5GHz and the router locked up the usb drive.

THANK YOU ASUS for a wonderful $300 half baked device, that fails me on the most important day of the year!!

EDIT: Thanksgiving is the only holiday I do at my house every year, that is why it is very important to me.

Last edited:
Just wanna have an idea of what I'm experiencing is normal.

I had been experiencing 5Ghz getting undiscoverable intermittently, then i did a RMA. The exchanged unit is not having such problem, but it inherits the intermittent disconnection of wifi, for both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

All wifi clients connected to it experience this, be it android devices, windows 8.1 laptop or macbook pro running yosemite.

Anyone can confirm if this is due to the firmware of ac87u? I'm now back to 2769.

I had been experiencing 5Ghz getting undiscoverable intermittently, then i did a RMA. The exchanged unit is not having such problem, but it inherits the intermittent disconnection of wifi, for both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

All wifi clients connected to it experience this, be it android devices, windows 8.1 laptop or macbook pro running yosemite.

Anyone can confirm if this is due to the firmware of ac87u? I'm now back to 2769.

I think that sums it up, but 2.4 I do not use that much, but when I do it seems ok, but do not hold me to that.

Sometimes it works great for a while, then next time BAM just like my post above. I really do not know what firmware to use now. They all have problems somewhere.

Though folks have posted various issues on this thread so far, a very consistent issue has been with 5ghz. I'm in that boat...

I got my AC87 in late Sept, and have never been able to get the 5ghz net working well. I've done a few factory resets and each time, the 5ghz net works great for ~1 day - very impressive speeds and range. Then the speed just start to wither away into nothingness... Fortunately, my 2.4ghz has been pretty darn solid from the get-go.

I have a bunch of Apple devices (and I'm aware of Apple's current wifi woes), and the my Asus router issues were no better or worse before or after Yosemite/ios8 -- Apple's wifi issues are separate from Asus's.

Along with everyone else on this thread, I'm really hoping Asus drops a solid firmware soon - when that 5ghz net is working, it really seems great, so I'm looking forward to having that running well!

Cheers, Chris

Also problems with 5GHz

I have had this unit for a month or so. In the beginning everything seemed fine and the unit itself is quite stable and solid. However 5GHz dropout DOES happen. It is worse with one of the laptops we rarely use where we have to restart the wifi. However with 2.4 GHz no problems ever. The same thing have happen a few times with our Samsung Android devices when using 5 GHz.

Obviously it is a Quantenna issue and my guts also told med to go with the AC3200 instead due to better compatibility and it being 100% Broadcom based. However nobody could tell me if when this router was due and even if it was even going to be released in Europe (which is still uncertain). If I wanted a new router from Asus the AC87 was my only option.

I really hope they fix these issues but I could be worried that this is entirely up to Quantenna due the "black box" nature of the 5 GHz implementation. And Quantenna is not Broadcom - it is a much smaller company which give them the advantage of being more agile. But maybe also the disadvantage of not being able to overcome the task of making and advanced wifi chipset with proper compatibility with a whole range of units. They may not be up the task :-(

Thanks guys for the replies. I cant quote everyone as it will make my post looks long.

I can feel your frustration and i agree with you that when the 5Ghz works, it is incredible. Like what asus says, in search for incredible.

But when the 5Ghz fails, it's often too disappointing.

I'm now at a point looking at ways to dump this equipment as i value performance alot, especially price to performance ratio...

However, I'm at a loss of what to purchase in order to replace the ac87u.. honestly, one part of me wants to keep it and the other part wants to dump it. If asus doesnt fix this issue by february 2015, it has to go no matter what.

In the meantime, i see linksys e8350 and netgear r8000 waving at me..

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!