What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin, posts from 6 users brave enough to face the Forum Police and share their alleged EXACT TEMPERATURE, is anecdotal mad scientist data.

I would never write a story based on the data supplied by 6 individuals extrapolated over thousands of customers that have purchased the ASUS RT-AC87 router. :p

Nobody wrote "a story" - I wrote one single sentence that said that my temperature was identical to those of the others who reported theirs, and that my router was stable. You're the one who seems to be reading more into one single sentence than what it actually said.

And what do you mean by "forum police" anyway? If you are implying there's been any censorship of some kind, who are completely wrong.

Eric, one example IN MY OPINION of the Forum Police:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=154453&postcount=515

Forum Police do not necessarily censor, they intimidate , harass, snipe and otherwise scare off forum members with lesser backbones and make for lame forums.

Nowhere in my post is there an assertion that:

"Nobody wrote "a story".

It is bad form to attempt to misquote one of your forum users. Here are my exact words:

"I would never write a story based on the data supplied by 6 individuals extrapolated over thousands of customers that have purchased the ASUS RT-AC87 router."

If it was unclear to you and other forum members, my sincere apologies.

I meant THAT I, THAT IS ME, would never write an article reviewing a particular piece of hardware based on the alleged experiences of 6 users on a certain forum.

Nobody wrote "a story" - I wrote one single sentence that said that my temperature was identical to those of the others who reported theirs, and that my router was stable. You're the one who seems to be reading more into one single sentence than what it actually said.

And what do you mean by "forum police" anyway? If you are implying there's been any censorship of some kind, who are completely wrong.

Last edited:
Can we please stay on topic, reading time wasting crap should go elsewhere, PLEASE!!

Now back on topic,

I am getting MASSIVE lag with my PS4 and this beta, it seems. I am going to downgrade to something (don't know what yet and try).

Update 12/01/2014 - Beta Release - Build 3123

Beta Release - Build 3123

1. This is not on the support site and servers for auto update.
2. Download here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2xQ5benV_uZ25FTlFiOFlXVjg/view?usp=sharing
3. Short Fix List
Fixes:
1.TrendMicro Engine updated to fix log issues
2. Numerous bug fixes and performance improvements

Update
1.Expect public release shortly after qualification testing completes.
2.Another public release in early Q1 with new Quantenna driver updates.

Anyone compare this to Merlins 376.48? Seeing how this does not use any new 5GHz driver, wondering if anyone has run both side by side and can offer insight.

Anyone compare this to Merlins 376.48? Seeing how this does not use any new 5GHz driver, wondering if anyone has run both side by side and can offer insight.

378_3123 does have a newer Quantenna firmware than 376_2769 (on which 376.48 was based).

Current alpha builds of 376.49 are based on Quantenna's v36.7.3.17, which Asus used in 376_3606, and was also newer than the one used on 376.48 (you can check the actual version on the Tools page - I don't have it running at the moment to check).

378_3123 does have a newer Quantenna firmware than 376_2769 (on which 376.48 was based).

Current alpha builds of 376.49 are based on Quantenna's v36.7.3.17, which Asus used in 376_3606, and was also newer than the one used on 376.48 (you can check the actual version on the Tools page - I don't have it running at the moment to check).

The 5GHz performance on this driver is utterly fantastic, at least for me. I even have iQoS running and it seems to be performing as intended. HD video is also now streaming faster than it can be watched (zero buffering).

I've included the dashboard from my range extender, which I really no longer need, to show exactly how well the 5GHz band is performing for me. The dashboard showed the signal strength for the 2.4GHz band to be 86% to 85% for the 5GHz band. As a matter of fact, the signal strength of the 5GHz band is often reported by my range extender to be STRONGER than the 2.4GHz band!

Attachments

• REA20.jpg
    REA20.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Update 12/17/2014 - Beta Release - Build 3562

Beta Release - Build 3562

2. Download here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...ew?usp=sharing
3. Short Fix List
Fixes:
[update] Latest Quantenna SDK v36.7.0.31 to resolve OSX 10.10 5Ghz compatibility issue.

[update] openssl 1.0.0o

[update] support Korea power table (5G wireless)

[update] usb modem: support ZTE MF880

[update] usb modem: support Royaltek Q110

[update] usb modem: support ZTE MF823

[update] usb modem: update the QMI procedure

[Update] update FAQ link

[Update] Add alert on progressing bar while DUT fw upgrade in progress

[bugfix][bwdpi] fix bugs

[bugfix][USB] fix UI issues

[bugfix] fix IPv6 related issues

[bugfix] fix minidlna related issues

[bugfix] fix IGMP related issues

Update
1.Expect public release in early Q1.

Broken link

Sorry Gary, the link appears to be broken as it's not working for me at least.

Gary this link is BORKED just like the current Asus firmware for the Asus RT-AC87 :eek:

Boo from all of us expecting a stable release before Christmas.

Hope you can get us a stable release by mid 2015 - by then the router will be obsolete :p

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Update

Last edited:
with the latest beta I found problems in the "Administration> System" when I try to change "Time Zone". Mandatory also enter data "admin" and "password" to confirm the changes of the page

Helping Gary Key to repost here for link downloads.

Dear davemishsr,

Our RT-AC87U hardware is ready for MU-MIMO. For firmware side we still fine tuning on MU-MIMO feature and we will keep improve our router firmware.

Our ASUS R&D have been working very hard to improve router firmware and monitor hardwarezone forums, smallnetbuilder forums and other networking forums as well.

Unofficial beta firmware: RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_3562
http://bit.ly/1zyGxaJ
*Recommended Hard reset your router.

Feel free to test this unofficial beta firmware and feedback to me :)

Best regard,
JK

Short Fix List as follows

Mac OS X users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to this beta release.

2. Short Fix List

Fixes:

[update] Latest Quantenna SDK v36.7.0.31 to resolve OSX 10.10 5Ghz compatibility issue.

[update] openssl 1.0.0o

[Update] update FAQ link

[update] Add alert on progressing bar while DUT fw upgrade in progress

[bugfix][bwdpi] fix bugs

Update

1. Expect public release in early Q1.

Can anyone confirm if the "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" problem is solved in this beta?

new beta 3.0.0.4.378_3562

No, seems to be still there:
Dec 18 11:57:51 crond[571]: time disparity of 25137 minutes detected
Dec 18 11:57:52 qtn: bootcfg.tgz exists
Dec 18 11:57:54 disk monitor: be idle
Dec 18 11:58:03 dfs: start dfs scan
Dec 18 11:58:03 nodfs_scan: complete
Dec 18 11:58:03 dfs: start dfs scan
Dec 18 11:58:03 nodfs_scan: complete
Dec 18 11:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Dec 18 12:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Dec 18 13:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Dec 18 14:32:01 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Dec 18 14:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Dec 18 15:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Dec 18 16:12:31 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

Thanks ByteKnight!

Not the news I wanted to hear but good to know. Guess I'll return those PITA routers back to the shop after the weekend.

3. Short Fix List
Fixes:

[update] openssl 1.0.0o

[Update] update FAQ link

[Update] Add alert on progressing bar while DUT fw upgrade in progress

[bugfix][bwdpi] fix bugs

Update

just wanted to say thank you, some of us truly appreciate the updates despite being quiet on here most of the time.

Thanks ByteKnight!

Not the news I wanted to hear but good to know. Guess I'll return those PITA routers back to the shop after the weekend.

That's a weird reason.

Those are informative. I get them because:

* I have both a wired and wireless connection on my PC
* I run a VM on my Mac
* I have NIC aliases on my Linux box
* I run a bridged Airport Express for Airplay

Are you experiencing any actual outage due to that log entry? You might check to see whether you have anything remotely resembling one of the scenarios above.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!