What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just upgraded to 3562. My upgrade was really odd; the router did not reboot on its own and I never lost wireless connection, just WAN connection. After waiting for five minutes to see if the reboot process would occur (it did not) I powered off my router, left it off for a minute, then powered back on.

I'm up at 3562, and everything seems normal at this point, but it was concerning. Normally, I'd lose connection about 60% through the upgrade, and then watch the programming/reboot sequence on the router itself.

Hey guys,

For the past 2 days the router has been rebooting by it self 6 to 7 times now??? I am running Asus FW 2769, I have not had any issues with this router for the past month and now it is loseing connectivty , rebooting. I do use QOS but other than that thats pretty much all I use on this router no usb drives or the other features this router has?? I have tried reflashing it and still the same issues.

Anyone try the Netgear Nighthawk R8000??? I am pretty much done with this router, dont have the time or patience to deal with this anymore. When you spend $300.00 bucks on a router you expect it to work, not to be beta testers for them and see if there new FW works ok with the router.

Any recommendations on a router with good range can handle about 10 to 12 wifi devices, has a good QOS that will work.

Thanks guys for your help.

I've had good luck with the new beta. Might be how I did the update and clear. I used the ASUS restore (static IP) software to update. Then it was all done I "Cleared the NVRAM" via turning the power off (power button) holding WPS button and power on. Keep holding WPS button until power light flashed slowly.

Hey guys,

For the past 2 days the router has been rebooting by it self 6 to 7 times now??? I am running Asus FW 2769, I have not had any issues with this router for the past month and now it is loseing connectivty , rebooting. I do use QOS but other than that thats pretty much all I use on this router no usb drives or the other features this router has?? I have tried reflashing it and still the same issues.

Anyone try the Netgear Nighthawk R8000??? I am pretty much done with this router, dont have the time or patience to deal with this anymore. When you spend $300.00 bucks on a router you expect it to work, not to be beta testers for them and see if there new FW works ok with the router.

Any recommendations on a router with good range can handle about 10 to 12 wifi devices, has a good QOS that will work.

Thanks guys for your help.

I've had good luck with the new beta. Might be how I did the update and clear. I used the ASUS restore (static IP) software to update. Then it was all done I "Cleared the NVRAM" via turning the power off (power button) holding WPS button and power on. Keep holding WPS button until power light flashed slowly.

I did the Nvram thing and stiil having issues.

Same here - very frustrating. This upnp issue needs resolved - as an avid gamer this is a no go for me.

Don't get your hopes up. I reported the UPNP issue, and the "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" errors several months ago. I put a support ticket in with Asus, and I reported it to Gary Key in this forum. Both of these issues have yet to be addressed. Your best bet is to run one of Merlin's latest firmwares. They have a more up to date miniupnpd version. 376.48_beta2 with NAT acceleration and QOS disabled works best for me. I still get the system log errors, but UPNP works well, and the router is stable (as a today...32+ days of uptime). Asus firmware updates have been disappointing to this point. If it wasn't for Merlin's support, I would have already took a loss on this router and replaced it.

kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!

That's a weird reason.

Those are informative. I get them because:

* I have both a wired and wireless connection on my PC
* I run a VM on my Mac
* I have NIC aliases on my Linux box
* I run a bridged Airport Express for Airplay

Are you experiencing any actual outage due to that log entry? You might check to see whether you have anything remotely resembling one of the scenarios above.

This has been an ongoing problem for a while now, but I think only people who are running multiple routers on the same network (setup as an AP, repeater, or bridge) are experiencing this issue. Actually, it's been happening for so long, it could have started when I unboxed the RT-AC87R. I don't remember exactly. My work around was to turn off my RT-AC66U and replace it with a switch and have a cable drop installed. When running the RT-AC87R by itself I don't get these error logs. I just lose a wireless signal on the other side of the house.

This has been an ongoing problem for a while now, but I think only people who are running multiple routers on the same network (setup as an AP, repeater, or bridge) are experiencing this issue. Actually, it's been happening for so long, it could have started when I unboxed the RT-AC87R. I don't remember exactly. My work around was to turn off my RT-AC66U and replace it with a switch and have a cable drop installed. When running the RT-AC87R by itself I don't get these error logs. I just lose a wireless signal on the other side of the house.

I am flooded with these messages, but I do not have any persistent outages from my AC-87U.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=145307&postcount=109
https://www.avforums.com/threads/as...t-with-own-address-as-source-address.1800394/

It's a Layer-2 loop message unrelated to anything on the AC-87U itself. In my case, it's related to an Airport Express in bridged mode. Apple's own firmware exhibits the behavior, it's a known characteristic of using Apple devices on non-Apple-routed networks; the Asus is simply reporting it.

It's all about the bridges you have on your network, either at the client level (VMs, sandboxes) or consumer devices (Apple bridges, etc.). I have seen this message also appear with, for example, hosted VMs on both my Mac and my Linux server (the VM bridges through the host IP; the Asus reports this per this log entry).

In no case do I have any outages regarding this message. I'm not saying you don't have issues, just that that message itself is not necessarily an indicator of a problem with the Asus.

Last edited:
If the power LED slowly blinks it indicates the router is in recovery mode. That is done by pressing reset button and holding it while the router is powered off, powering the router on and waiting 8-10 seconds before releasing the reset button. When you use the WPS button to clear the NVRAM, which is my preferred method of doing so, the power LED should pulsate rapidly. At least that is how my AC87R behaves.

Last edited:
Don't get your hopes up. I reported the UPNP issue, and the "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" errors several months ago. I put a support ticket in with Asus, and I reported it to Gary Key in this forum. Both of these issues have yet to be addressed. Your best bet is to run one of Merlin's latest firmwares. They have a more up to date miniupnpd version. 376.48_beta2 with NAT acceleration and QOS disabled works best for me. I still get the system log errors, but UPNP works well, and the router is stable (as a today...32+ days of uptime). Asus firmware updates have been disappointing to this point. If it wasn't for Merlin's support, I would have already took a loss on this router and replaced it.

At this point am I losing anything not going with Merlins?

This is what I have done so far.....

I did a WPS reset with the last beta and did not yet with this beta, all I did with this one was apply over the last, shut power off for 5 minutes and power back on.

My findings.

1. I can not get to my camera system inside my house using my external/WAN IP address, I have to use the internal IP one from inside my house.

2. I seem to be getting lag on my PS4 (as with the last beata also)

3. Once a day I have to shut wifi down on my iphone and ipad and turn back on, otherwise I am connected to my 5GHz wifi signal but the device says no internet.

4. 5GHz range seems to be as good as the best of any firmware to me so far.

Sorry to post this question but what is the "ASUS restore (static IP) software to update" specifically the static IP?? do you set a static in the restore software? or?? sorry I never loaded it or used it yet but am starting to think we all need to.

This is what I have done so far.....

I did a WPS reset with the last beta and did not yet with this beta, all I did with this one was apply over the last, shut power off for 5 minutes and power back on.

My findings.

1. I can not get to my camera system inside my house using my external/WAN IP address, I have to use the internal IP one from inside my house.

2. I seem to be getting lag on my PS4 (as with the last beata also)

3. Once a day I have to shut wifi down on my iphone and ipad and turn back on, otherwise I am connected to my 5GHz wifi signal but the device says no internet.

4. 5GHz range seems to be as good as the best of any firmware to me so far.

Sorry to post this question but what is the "ASUS restore (static IP) software to update" specifically the static IP?? do you set a static in the restore software? or?? sorry I never loaded it or used it yet but am starting to think we all need to.

First off, thanks to RMerlin and all the other helpful posters for their insight and knowledge. Thanks also to Gary for the betas.

dfran1, I agree with you on points 3 and 4. I have several apple products and really had no issues with the last beta except that I could not sync my iPad or iPhone over the 5ghz network with my iMac. All devices with the latest firmware.

With the latest beta my iOS devices, at least once a day, say they are connected but I get a server time out until I shut off their radios. I reverted back to the previous beta released from December 1st and don't have this issue anymore.

Last edited:
NAT acceleration

DSRING: do you mean that having NAT acceleration ON or OFF works best for you? I have always left it "ON" ..but that is probably just the default.

DSRING: do you mean that having NAT acceleration ON or OFF works best for you? I have always left it "ON" ..but that is probably just the default.

Leaving it "OFF" works best for me.

!!!!!!STOP THE PRESS!!!!!!!!

OMG Thank you !!!!!!! this fixes the USB 3.0 video stutter!!!!!!!!
my test video file now plays perfect by disabling NAT acceleration WOW one thing and I can also see my cameras inside my house using my external IP
WOW 2 things fixed with one press of a button!!! Who would have ever thought that was the culprit !!!!

Thank you both!!!

Asus I Highly recommend you disable that for now on PLEASE!

Leaving it "OFF" works best for me.

I switched to Merlin's latest beta last night and I couldn't get the desired upnp result with NAT acceleration disabled. I'll post a video when I'm off work as to what a correct Playstation 4 connection test should look like if your connection is truly open (will explain later not as obvious as it seems i.e. nat type 2 is not an end all).

I switched to Merlin's latest beta last night and I couldn't get the desired upnp result with NAT acceleration disabled. I'll post a video when I'm off work as to what a correct Playstation 4 connection test should look like if your connection is truly open (will explain later not as obvious as it seems i.e. nat type 2 is not an end all).

go to port forwarding and set it up, i got it to open and my PS4 now, my call of duty smooth again, but this just a temporary solution hopefully Asus fix this soon.

more info can be found port forwarding.com.

!!!!!!STOP THE PRESS!!!!!!!!

OMG Thank you !!!!!!! this fixes the USB 3.0 video stutter!!!!!!!!
my test video file now plays perfect by disabling NAT acceleration WOW one thing and I can also see my cameras inside my house using my external IP
WOW 2 things fixed with one press of a button!!! Who would have ever thought that was the culprit !!!!

Thank you both!!!

Asus I Highly recommend you disable that for now on PLEASE!

WOW! I have always ran into problems with my WD 1TB Harddrive hooked up to the USB 3.0 on this router. Thanks for the awesome tip! I had no idea. I'm not kidding... I can actually watch a full movie. I only tried one movie though... Ha, though, I couldn't even get through one movie without it disconnecting. Movies I stream are full MKV x264 Bluray's with DTS audio. Movies range from 10gb to 20gb.

go to port forwarding and set it up, i got it to open and my PS4 now, my call of duty smooth again, but this just a temporary solution hopefully Asus fix this soon.

+1 thanks for the tip. My Xbox One NAT was always at Moderate and now it is open because of Port-Forwarding. If they have a dedicated website for port-forwarding then I assume most routers have problems with keeping the NAT Open without port-forwarding? Or am I wrong? They do have a lot of routers listed on the website.

Hi,
Its nice to tell us to open ports for our ps4's , but that website just sucks.
could you please elaborate on what ports you open and if TCP or UDP or both to the ps4 PLEASE, so we can try and stop the pain for us all.

Also are you playing the newest COD??

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!