What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Having an issue with the most recent firmware posted here.

I did the update and did held in the reset button for over five seconds and went along assigning IP's to each device and once finished I went to Network Map and clicked on clients and proceeded to assign a name and an icon to each device however there's about six devices which it won't allow me to assign a name and/or icon to and I receive the following error: "This entry has been in list" and sometimes it'll pop up multiple times before I can even back out of that screen.

I'm doing this on an iMac with Safari and should note I've never ran into any issues recently using safari and don't think that's the issue as I have assigned over 20 names and icons thus far.

I didn't restore to factory settings via any menu items but some names did auto populate from before so not sure if that has anything to do with it (this error did show up on previous FW builds) but assumed holding in the reset button for 8 seconds should have done the trick...hoping so as I've put almost 45 minutes into setting this bad boy back up.

any help is appreciated.

So far six hours running this latest release everything is good. The Web UI feels snappier. No problem with some 10 devices Apple / Windows / /printers / Linux / NAS etc. connected. Updated the firmware, rebooted, then pulled power plug for 5 minutes.

Didn't some users report that the vlan2 loop was still present in 3754 that was released on "hardwarezone" unofficially? Unless they made tweaks to the existing beta firmware 3754 to the officially release.

This firmware has the same sha256 sum as the one from hardwarezone.

It's exactly the same and basically still unusable on a day to day basis, particularly the 5Ghz wireless where I see a network error reported in a Plex client fairly frequently and constant lag when using an OpenELEC player on even low bit rate shows.

Ian

Just got this! :(

Dec 31 17:29:12 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

So I guess not. Better luck in the new year.

You are confusing two completely different issues.

The "Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently" error (note the different wording) was an issue that was specific to the RT-AC87U. This is the issue that Asus fixed in this build.

What you are experiencing is about a packet having identical source and destinations - that issue has been in the firmware for years, and has not been fixed by Asus yet.

Last edited:
So I just did a factory reset and then a hard reset once again and it still auto populates some devices names and won't let me assign an icon or modify the names of some devices. This is driving me bonkers.

What you are experiencing is about a packet having identical source and destinations - that issue has been in the firmware for years, and has not been fixed by Asus yet.

Really, for years? When this problem occurs on my AC87 in AP mode my LAN goes completly down. Do you mean customers have been living with this issue for years? I'm already fed up after a few weeks!

I hope to change my routers for a Netgear next week, due to the NY period the RMA service is slowed down in the shop where I bought the units. Never ASUS again!

But I liked your modifications and added features to the original FW, hope ASUS will solve this issue in 2015.

Really, for years? When this problem occurs on my AC87 in AP mode my LAN goes completly down. Do you mean customers have been living with this issue for years? I'm already fed up after a few weeks!

I hope to change my routers for a Netgear next week, due to the NY period the RMA service is slowed down in the shop where I bought the units. Never ASUS again!

Now i now its nothing to worry about i am happy, good luck with Negear i moved to Asus because the Asus routers are far better supported.

It took a while for the N66 firmware to mature, just give Asus a chance with the AC87,

Regards

PS RMerlin, thanks for the .5 update

Not necessarily, a simple web search shows that this message has appeared quite often over the years. Often in relation to people using virtual machines and appears to be related to MAC addresses assigned to them resulting the broadcast MAC address (I'm not clear on this) being the same for multiple interfaces.

If there are no virtual machines involved the impression is that the warning is harmless but when vms are involved people have reported broadcast storms.

So it might not be a problem for most routers but I believe the 87U runs a separate independent sub-system for the 5Ghz wireless so perhaps that is similar to running a vm and is a problem for the 87U.

But in reality I'm just guessing from a few posts I read.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I do have these broadcast storm over my LAN, but no VM on my network. I do have SonoS, Nest, Synology, Apple iOS + AppleTV and different kind of brand IP cams. Of those only the iOS are connected to 5GHz, Nest obvious to 2.4GHz. All the rest is wired. I already tried to enable only the 2.4 or 5 GHz radio to no avail.

My wan-lan router, also an AC87, seems to work much better. Maybe the packet storm is only problematic if the router is in AP mode.

Anyway I can't understand why people are accepting a + 200 EUR device not to work the first few months after the release date. Would they also accept this of a TV or car?

Cheers,
arachnida

Anyway I can't understand why people are accepting a + 200 EUR device not to work the first few months after the release date. Would they also accept this of a TV or car?

It's very frustrating for sure.
But all that can be done is for people to return the devices and chose not to buy them after seeing threads like this.

They aren't necessarily related to one another. I occasionally get these in my own router log as well, but it never affected connectivity.

Either of these issues improve with latest firmware release?

Jan 1 16:32:12 kernel: *** ERROR: [update_full_url_by_mac:2621] Failed to find udb entry

Jan 1 15:29:41 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

My router is going nuts with them. I've yet to jump from Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_2769 since I don't have physical access to the devices, and I'd need to schedule the update. Lucky me. Waiting to ensure the latest release is at least as stable as the previous.

The kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address error eventually generates a broadcast storm, and kills the network. Would running a packet sniffer on the network aid in determining the root issue? Or is this a ghost that lives on the router between the interfaces?

Sonos and Apple devices present on the network. No gaming consoles. I do have a 2nd RT-87R on the network in AP mode, configured to use same SSIDs, but different channels. This face :mad: sums up my frustration level with these devices.

Guys simple question. I own also the AC87U and just installed the latest Original FW 3.0.0.4.378_3754 (final version). I have set up the port forwarding for Telnet (port 23), and hit applied, but I can't log in into Putty.
Can you guys log in into Putty with the latest Original FW (3754)? ( I also disabled my firewall, but no effect).

Guys simple question. I own also the AC87U and just installed the latest Original FW 3.0.0.4.378_3754 (final version). I have set up the port forwarding for Telnet (port 23), and hit applied, but I can't log in into Putty.
Can you guys log in into Putty with the latest Original FW (3754)? ( I also disabled my firewall, but no effect).
In the firmware you go to Administration->system-> enable telnet. You don't have to port forward. I am assuming you just want to telnet into the router.

ok
1. So far I did a recovery mode install with the latest official firmware.
2. Did a WPS reset.
3. Entered my info back in manually.
4. turned off Nat acceleration in lan, switch control. (to stop the stuttering in usb movie playback, allow remote viewing of my dvr within my house from my external ip).
5. manually added dns servers in the ps4 (so far no lag). will get into this latter for great dns servers after a few days of testing.

will post problems after a few days of testing, but seems best of the firmwares so far, time will tell.

Last edited:

I don't know what Putty is, but this new firmware won't let me change the time zone. Says system time doesn't match my locale, won't let me change it to Eastern Time zone. Any ideas or is this a bug?

I don't know what Putty is, but this new firmware won't let me change the time zone. Says system time doesn't match my locale, won't let me change it to Eastern Time zone. Any ideas or is this a bug?

obviously, this the one bug i noticed still present in this firmware but you can easily fix this by change to whatever time doesn't have the offset time on the bottom, hit apply then change to your time zone again and this should work fine.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online