What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This latest build 3754 has some single-threaded process spinning either core at 100%. Does anyone know of a way to determine which one?

I can't enable telnet to view ps, as any change to the Administration page results in "Specified time interval can not overlap" without any obvious listed time intervals on that page.

Can't help you with the core problem since mine is not exhibiting that behaviour on 3754. I performed a factory reset after I updated and manually entered my routers settings.

The admin problem has been a bug in the last 2 beta builds. You simply select another time zone (Indiana worked for me) then put in you admin pw and hit apply. Then everything seems to work and you can choose your time zone without any issues and enable telnet.

Last edited:
The admin problem has been a bug in the last 2 beta builds. You simply select another time zone (Indiana worked for me) then put in you admin pw and hit apply. Then everything seems to work and you can choose your time zone without any issues and enable telnet.

Oh, right on-- I didn't know that particular issue was what I was facing. It was. Thanks!

The pegged process was pc_block; turning off AiProtection --> Parental Controls --> "Time Scheduling" removes the process. Turning it back on again pegs the processor again. I'll try a wipe and redo when I have the fortitude for it.

+1 for Apple problems after comparing on 3 different routers where the other two work fine.

I see people reporting their router temperatures. How does one do that on the 87R?

This is kind of crazy but does work in my case pulling the power cord for 5 minutes restores some semblance of stability, and rebooting daily.

I wonder how Eric will deal with this awaiting a stable release middle of 2015 - very long holiday from messing around with Merlin Asus build :eek:

I'm wondering if some problem is coming from the heat issue people have be mentioning. Pulling power for 5 minutes causes a component to cool down which is misbehaving and things go stable. As long as it stays hot so does the issue. Wouldn't be the first time I seen that happen.

Running 3754, I do not have the 100% CPU usage; I have AiProtection on except for malicious sites blocking.

So far, in both beta firmwares, my time zone settings have stayed on Eastern, the original setting. The system time has stayed accurate according to the system log page.

I haven't had an issue on 5GHz with my iPhone 6; SO has not reported issues with her iPhone 5c. Not denying that anyone else has issues, and I haven't tested Mac computers.

My router is seated in our TV cabinet, on top of my Tivo and HTPC; the flat surface probably gives reasonable clearance on the bottom, but there isn't a ton of circulation. It could be that luck of the draw just favored me, and I got a well-assembled unit.

P.S. I have not had to do a hard reset in the past 3-4 upgrades (going from .1179 to the next version required it if I remembered).

Last edited:
With 3754 (like the one before it also)

1. Have to reboot router (power cycle) once per day or massive lag with PS4.

2. Had some stuttering watching a movie (but I did not power cycle router before, that may have been the issue, BUT I should not have to power cycle at all!!!!!)

3. Still has lag from time to time using a remote app on iphone 6 plus (5GHz) to a wired device. (has always had this no matter what firmware so far). Sometimes hard to find the hardwired device from the remote app and always for the first time a delay (a good up to 45 seconds), then works ok for the most part.

4. Wifi signal seems good

5. I still get
Dec 30 16:53:57 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

On #1, port forwarding did not help at all, I removed them, DMZ does not help either, just a power cycle, but I do now use smart QOS to on (do not know if it is helping at all or causing issues at this point).

PS4

With 3754 (like the one before it also)

1. Have to reboot router (power cycle) once per day or massive lag with PS4.

2. Had some stuttering watching a movie (but I did not power cycle router before, that may have been the issue, BUT I should not have to power cycle at all!!!!!)

3. Still has lag from time to time using a remote app on iphone 6 plus (5GHz) to a wired device. (has always had this no matter what firmware so far). Sometimes hard to find the hardwired device from the remote app and always for the first time a delay (a good up to 45 seconds), then works ok for the most part.

4. Wifi signal seems good

5. I still get
Dec 30 16:53:57 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

On #1, port forwarding did not help at all, I removed them, DMZ does not help either, just a power cycle, but I do now use smart QOS to on (do not know if it is helping at all or causing issues at this point).

Try with these settings after a hard reset:

• Wireless: "N Only" (preferred)
    NAT Acceleration: "Auto"
    Virtual Server / Port forwarding: "No" & "none" (this is not working probably what ever ports you forward)
    Enable DMZ: "No" (if you enable DMZ then NAT gets lag even with 378_3754)
    Enable Firewall: "No" (I did not see a point to use it)
    Enable Dos Protection: "No" (Protect your CPU loads first)

Enable NAT: "Yes"
    Enable uPnP: "Yes"
    QoS: "No"

good luck

Last edited:
3754 Official Build/Source Code is up on the Asus site

http://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/11/2/0/125/eS2N4HnylxXIJYBB/8/

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.3754
[Important] Because the 5GHz driver updated, please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router after firmware updated to avoid some compatibility issues.

Security related
1.Supported SSH connection.
2. Upgraded Openssl library to 1.0.0.o

Bug fixes
1. Fixed OSX 10.10 5GHz compatibility issues.
2. Fixed Adaptive QoS issue when primary wan is USB
3. Fixed Adaptive QoS rule abnormal issue when set the file transfer to highest.
4. Fixed AiProtection UI issues.
5. Fixed repeating vlan2 dead loop message in syslog.
6. Fixed web history disappeared issue when opens some https webpage.
7. Fixed dual wan fails over the mode switch issue.
8. Fixed static IP setting issue in AP mode.
9. Fixed download master cannot be uninstalled in FAT16 and FAT32 format.
10. Fixed Wake on LAN UI issue.
11. Fixed VPN server related issues.
12. Fixed IPv6 related issues.
13. Fixed IGMP related issues.
14. Fixed media server related issues.
15. Fixed LED abnormal behavior when disabled LED and reboot RT-AC87U by UI button.

Modifications
1. Updated the Manual, Utility, FAQ URL link.
2. Supported 2.4GHz and 5GHz WPS at the same time.
3. Modified NAT Acceleration options.
4. Added extended the TTL option in WAN--> Internet Connection.

3G/LTE
1. Supported Huawei E161, E3131, E171
2. Supported ZTE MF880, MF823, MF821D
3. Supported Royaltek Q110

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 12.42.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 12.42.34 PM.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 330
3754 Official Build/Source Code is up on the Asus site

http://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/11/2/0/125/eS2N4HnylxXIJYBB/8/

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.3754
[Important] Because the 5GHz driver updated, please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router after firmware updated to avoid some compatibility issues.

Security related
1.Supported SSH connection.
2. Upgraded Openssl library to 1.0.0.o

Bug fixes
1. Fixed OSX 10.10 5GHz compatibility issues.
2. Fixed Adaptive QoS issue when primary wan is USB
3. Fixed Adaptive QoS rule abnormal issue when set the file transfer to highest.
4. Fixed AiProtection UI issues.
5. Fixed repeating vlan2 dead loop message in syslog.
6. Fixed web history disappeared issue when opens some https webpage.
7. Fixed dual wan fails over the mode switch issue.
8. Fixed static IP setting issue in AP mode.
9. Fixed download master cannot be uninstalled in FAT16 and FAT32 format.
10. Fixed Wake on LAN UI issue.
11. Fixed VPN server related issues.
12. Fixed IPv6 related issues.
13. Fixed IGMP related issues.
14. Fixed media server related issues.
15. Fixed LED abnormal behavior when disabled LED and reboot RT-AC87U by UI button.

Modifications
1. Updated the Manual, Utility, FAQ URL link.
2. Supported 2.4GHz and 5GHz WPS at the same time.
3. Modified NAT Acceleration options.
4. Added extended the TTL option in WAN--> Internet Connection.

3G/LTE
1. Supported Huawei E161, E3131, E171
2. Supported ZTE MF880, MF823, MF821D
3. Supported Royaltek Q110

Didn't some users report that the vlan2 loop was still present in 3754 that was released on "hardwarezone" unofficially? Unless they made tweaks to the existing beta firmware 3754 to the officially release.

Me too! I'll wait :) Looks like they released the GPL for it too.

I don't see the GPL up yet, and blindly trying to access what would be its download URL also returns a file not found.

Anyway, don't expect a new firmware from me for at least a few weeks. There will probably be a lot of changes to merge and test with this new version.

I don't see the GPL up yet, and blindly trying to access what would be its download URL also returns a file not found.

Anyway, don't expect a new firmware from me for at least a few weeks. There will probably be a lot of changes to merge and test with this new version.

I just saw that it was there but didn't test the link. I also noticed that if you select a any OS Example Window 7 64bit it does not list the new firmware. Bummer, anyways no rush RMerlin. Appreciate your updates.

Didn't some users report that the vlan2 loop was still present in 3754 that was released on "hardwarezone" unofficially? Unless they made tweaks to the existing beta firmware 3754 to the officially release.

Indeed, this was a big problem with that build released on HZ. Only thing that I can tell is different is that the last date modified is newer for this latest release over the one from HZ. So far I have not seen the vlan2 bug in this version, released on SNB, but it's still early. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Indeed, this was a big problem with that build released on HZ. Only thing that I can tell is different is that the last date modified is newer for this latest release over the one from HZ. So far I have not seen the vlan2 bug in this version, released on SNB, but it's still early. Fingers crossed!

Does the new release fix this error which Asus said (On HZ) they were trying to fix?

kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

Regards

Does the new release fix this error which Asus said (On HZ) they were trying to fix?

kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

Regards

Just got this! :(

Dec 31 17:29:12 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

So I guess not. Better luck in the new year.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!