What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone noticed poor link rates with this router?

I just installed it last night and updated it to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.378.3885) - with an existing wireless N client, where it would link to my old RT-N66U at 450Mbps, this one links at 243Mbps at best, even when there's sustained traffic between the router and client (5 GHz network). This is in the next room over as well - I'm not putting a floor or more between these two devices.

Considering swapping it out for a new RT-AC87U already - for the $300 ASUS is expecting me to pay, I wouldn't have expected my displayed link rate as slashing in half.

I just installed it last night and updated it to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.378.3885) - with an existing wireless N client, where it would link to my old RT-N66U at 450Mbps, this one links at 243Mbps at best, even when there's sustained traffic between the router and client (5 GHz network). This is in the next room over as well - I'm not putting a floor or more between these two devices.

Considering swapping it out for a new RT-AC87U already - for the $300 ASUS is expecting me to pay, I wouldn't have expected my displayed link rate as slashing in half.

have u done a reset and has setup ur router without loading the configuration file?

My Intel 7260AC can link at 700-866 Mbps without any problem.

The number you post sound as if you were only configured at 20 Mhz as it's half the theorical limit.

The number you post sound as if you were only configured at 20 Mhz as it's half the theorical limit.

Agreed - I double checked the configuration last night however and it's configured for 20/40MHz.

I will probably end up swapping it out tonight for a new unit.

ASUS RT-AC87R

Well i'am very frustrated with RT-AC87R, after update firmware to 3.0.0.4.378.3885, everytime powercycle the router 5.0GHz stop to work, and i needed reset to factory and setup router again.

Anyone know if this is hardware or software problem (firmware)?

I put my RT-AC66U to work again, and no problems.

Thanks.

Last edited:
did you reset and manually reconfigure the router (no restore config)?

Yes, but if turn off router, reboot, powercycle, 5.0GHz stop works and a factory reset is needed, and reconfigure manually again, and again, and again.

Is possible downgrade firmware to ASUS RT-AC87R Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2769?

ASUS live chat says is possible, but i do not know...i'm afraid about this!

Downgrade

Mucci Just d/l the Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2769 from the Asus website and manually install via the administrator tab in the router.

Are you giving the router a chance to fully boot? I do notice that the 5 ghz channel comes to life about 30 seconds after the 2.4 band is available.

CC

Agreed - I double checked the configuration last night however and it's configured for 20/40MHz.

I will probably end up swapping it out tonight for a new unit.

The 5 GHz band should allow 20/40/80. If it only shows 20/40, then it means you are on the 2.4 GHz band. That band being highly overloaded, it's almost certain that it will have to downgrade to 20 Mhz due to the amount of interference.

Mucci Just d/l the Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2769 from the Asus website and manually install via the administrator tab in the router.

Are you giving the router a chance to fully boot? I do notice that the 5 ghz channel comes to life about 30 seconds after the 2.4 band is available.

CC

I don`t believe, is possibl? I just plug, wired, in Laptop, configure an wait, 5.0ghz led ligth on, no blink, because no internet, more than 30 seconds 2.4GHZ band, i re-install and test, at this moment thanks.

Not Works. When connected to internet 5.0ghz not Works.

Last edited:
The 5 GHz band should allow 20/40/80. If it only shows 20/40, then it means you are on the 2.4 GHz band. That band being highly overloaded, it's almost certain that it will have to downgrade to 20 Mhz due to the amount of interference.

I was on the 5GHz band - it was configured for 20/40/80 but still no luck.

I took the router back and swapped it out for a new one - installed the same (latest) firmware and had absolutely no problems achieving a solid link rate. Also noticed a fairly significant boost in signal and the connection seemed more stable.

Seems like I got a dud unit!

CC

No work, i waiting 5 minutes and no 5.0ghz not started. Well i flash Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2769, and 5.0ghz Works properly again.

I will be watching the RT-AC87R behavior to determine if everything is ok. I believe the problem is the new firmware. Was it possible?

Thanks

Adjust Time for RT_AC87R

I have another issue in RT-AC87R.

My system time is completely wrong. How to change system time.

I live in Brazil GMT -3:00, Brasilia is correct (Brasil)

Thanks.

RT-AC87R7_zpsk3vsib35.jpg

RT-AC87R8_zpskopg3gfu.jpg

I was on the 5GHz band - it was configured for 20/40/80 but still no luck.

I took the router back and swapped it out for a new one - installed the same (latest) firmware and had absolutely no problems achieving a solid link rate. Also noticed a fairly significant boost in signal and the connection seemed more stable.

Seems like I got a dud unit!

Hi,

you can try to reboot router, or powercycle, to check 5.0GHz Band is still works, please?

Last edited:
I dont have any 5Ghz radio not powering up issue on 3885 firmware. But of cos, 5ghz is still a little unstable.

I dont have any 5Ghz radio not powering up issue on 3885 firmware. But of cos, 5ghz is still a little unstable.

Thanks raphaelogy. I have this issue, i don't know if is hardware or software (firmware). My 5.0ghz with previous firmware is stable.

norml

I have another issue in RT-AC87R.

My system time is completely wrong. How to change system time.

I live in Brazil GMT -3:00, Brasilia is correct (Brasil)

Thanks.

RT-AC87R7_zpsk3vsib35.jpg

RT-AC87R8_zpskopg3gfu.jpg

Mucci thats normal just reset the region. Also thats very interesting that the .2769 seems to have fixed the problem. Please unplug router and allow it to reboot and see if the 5 ghz still comes back up. It will be a little delayed from the 2.4 band (this also happened on my Netgear r7000).

CC

Mucci thats normal just reset the region. Also thats very interesting that the .2769 seems to have fixed the problem. Please unplug router and allow it to reboot and see if the 5 ghz still comes back up. It will be a little delayed from the 2.4 band (this also happened on my Netgear r7000).

CC

Now, the previous firmware version, 5.0ghz band is ok. For follow your suggest, i needed flash the last firmware again, for now i don't to do it.

How to reset region, because i choose another one, and no fix the problem?!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!