What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My laptop runs Windows 10, no problem so far with my Intel 7260 and my RT-AC87U.

Where did you hear that about Intel? It doesn't make much sense, because for starter, the router's wireless driver is written by Broadcom, not by Asus.

Heard from Tech Support reps at Broadcom, Intel, Apple, and Asus. I don't know where exactly the problem is in the firmware except it isn't in the Broadcom driver; its elsewhere in the firmware.

Odd that he chose to share this 3 weeks old version when they have shared the very latest version for the RT-AC56U.

Did not know it was old. He shared 2 versions today, one beta, one unofficial beta.

Update: guess he pulled the old version, now has the one version listed, I edited the post above.

My Wifi connection is horrible, maximum rate of 3 MB / s, even upgrading to latest version fo firmware. I tried all available channels, if any improvement in speed. If I connect the LAN port speed going full steam ahead. I wonder if anyone has experienced this and managed to solve.

My Wifi connection is horrible, maximum rate of 3 MB / s, even upgrading to latest version fo firmware. I tried all available channels, if any improvement in speed. If I connect the LAN port speed going full steam ahead. I wonder if anyone has experienced this and managed to solve.

This latest beta firmware has been out less than 24hrs. So as far as performance I'm sure most have not tried it yet. As far as YOUR issues, you'll have to provide some more information for help. You wifi issues are generic. Have you tried searching this forum (as I see you have 1 post) for posts related to wifi issues/this router?

Tried latest beta and did a speed test. Was getting 20mb on a 100mb connection on 5ghz band. 2.4ghz band was getting about 80mb in the same location.

Sucks :(

5GHz band speed seems negatively affected by this update using speed test as a benchmark. Where I was getting 180Mbps now I get 122. On the second floor I get 22Mbps where as before I was getting at least double that. I've noticed more bars, but connection link speed has also decreased. What's weird is upload speed seems to be OK so far.

Seems someone at ASUS released a beta.

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376_3561

http://bit.ly/1wzFnf0

Not on ASUS's official page yet though.

Using this beta version for a working day now, configured as access point. It is very stable when bridged with 5G Broadcomm, compared to latest official buggy version. Huge improvement in that respect. AP mode is still dhcp only; static is not possible.
Quantenna version has not changed so still the same poor 5G range. 2.4G range is phenomenal but has more to do with my recent #a cfe country hack.
I give it another day with real life usage before deciding to revert back to R7000.

Last edited:
5GHz band speed seems negatively affected by this update using speed test as a benchmark. Where I was getting 180Mbps now I get 122. On the second floor I get 22Mbps where as before I was getting at least double that. I've noticed more bars, but connection link speed has also decreased. What's weird is upload speed seems to be OK so far.

I have experienced as well flaky results with 5G on AC87U, with any firmware so far. Especially with upper floors. My guess is that this has to do with low power emission Or has something to do with AC87U antenna configuration. Time will tell.

But it's not the new firmware: same Quantenna version.

For me: this ac87u has the same, limited, coverage as Apple AirPort Extreme.

Also check out this review where they also experienced poor coverage on upper floors:http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/566...etgear-r7500-nighthawk-x4-review-praktijktest
Google translate can help you if you don't understand that review' language.

A very disappointing product, if you are used to high power AC coverage.

Using this beta version for a working day now, configured as access point. It is very stable when bridged with 5G Broadcomm, compared to latest official buggy version. Huge improvement in that respect. AP mode is still dhcp only; static is not possible.
Quantenna version has not changed so still the same poor 5G range. 2.4G range is phenomenal but has more to do with my recent #a cfe country hack.
I give it another day with real life usage before deciding to revert back to R7000.

That #a code is most likely something specific to Broadcom since it's not a standard region code. Nobody can tell what kind of effect this will have on the Quantenna part of the firmware which most likely won't even recognize this region. You should revert back to a proper, valid region code, at least on the 5 GHz band, as otherwise it might very well be the cause of your 5 GHz issues.

Bottom line: people shouldn't play with low-level settings they don't fully understand (IMHO). It only makes troubleshooting harder as they often fail to share that kind of critical info when complaining about issues...

That #a code is most likely something specific to Broadcom since it's not a standard region code. Nobody can tell what kind of effect this will have on the Quantenna part of the firmware which most likely won't even recognize this region. You should revert back to a proper, valid region code, at least on the 5 GHz band, as otherwise it might very well be the cause of your 5 GHz issues.

Bottom line: people shouldn't play with low-level settings they don't fully understand (IMHO). It only makes troubleshooting harder as they often fail to share that kind of critical info when complaining about issues...

it's the usual if-then-else construction, if I have to believe the source code. A #b would work the same, for Broadcomm. And has no effect on the Quantenna side, as it seems. Anyway, Merlin, did you already get a hand on influencing, or reading, the Quantenna power/region part?

I have experienced as well flaky results with 5G on AC87U, with any firmware so far. Especially with upper floors. My guess is that this has to do with low power emission Or has something to do with AC87U antenna configuration. Time will tell.

But it's not the new firmware: same Quantenna version.

For me: this ac87u has the same, limited, coverage as Apple AirPort Extreme.

Also check out this review where they also experienced poor coverage on upper floors:http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/566...etgear-r7500-nighthawk-x4-review-praktijktest
Google translate can help you if you don't understand that review' language.

A very disappointing product, if you are used to high power AC coverage.

There was high hopes from users with this new beta too...........

Did they really release this thing with no changelog? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

Last edited:
Did they really release this thing with no changelog? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

No, they did not "release" it. It was pretty much unofficially dropped by an Asus Singapore employee, it's not an official release. That's why it's on Dropbox, and not on Asus's website (or Asuswebstorage that they usually put such limited releases on).

it's the usual if-then-else construction, if I have to believe the source code. A #b would work the same, for Broadcomm. And has no effect on the Quantenna side, as it seems. Anyway, Merlin, did you already get a hand on influencing, or reading, the Quantenna power/region part?

No, Quantenna driver is (like BCM) closed-source. People know about the Broadcom one probably because from time to time Broadcom source code leaks here and there, so someone could see it. I didn't check how the region was being passed on to the Quantenna either, I don't really care much about that quite frankly...

This latest beta firmware has been out less than 24hrs. So as far as performance I'm sure most have not tried it yet. As far as YOUR issues, you'll have to provide some more information for help. You wifi issues are generic. Have you tried searching this forum (as I see you have 1 post) for posts related to wifi issues/this router?

I searched on google and the forum but no success yet.
Once I received, configured and tested it, I realized very baxas rates. After that I updated the firmware to 3.0.0.4.376_2769 and did the factory reset. Even so my rates are only 3MB / s.
I changed the channel, put both networks N ONLY, I tried the 20 and 40Mhz frequencies, all without success.
I posted on this forum in the hope of some solution.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!