What's new

Asus RT-AC87R/U - FACTORY F/W Bug Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've noticed a bug in the Network Map, when checking connected clients. The number of connected clients frequently doesn't match the actual number of listed client. It will say there are 14 connected but only list 7 clients. It doesn't matter whether the router is rebooted, reset, firmware reinstalled, or anything else, the discrepancy remains. This is using the Asus firmware. Any ideas?

The networkmap only lists 6 clients at a time. Click on the arrows at the bottom of the list to navigate through pages.

The networkmap only lists 6 clients at a time. Click on the arrows at the bottom of the list to navigate through pages.

I've done that. There is still a discrepancy - difference of 5 extra connected clients that aren't listed even after hitting refresh and hitting the arrows when the refresh is complete It almost like ghost clients...really odd.

I've done that. There is still a discrepancy - difference of 5 extra connected clients that aren't listed even after hitting refresh and hitting the arrows when the refresh is complete It almost like ghost clients...really odd.

Mine does the same thing. It shows 14 connected, then I click on it and really it 4-6 connected.

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone else might have some insight on the problem I'm having.

I have 2 RT-AC87R units, one is in router mode and the other is in media bridge mode. I have no problems when connecting the one in media bridge mode to my 2.4GHz SSID, but when I try to connect to the 5GHz SSID, it never connects. I'm currently running the 2044 firmware. I've tried swapping the two units (so that each has a chance to try media bridge mode), but it didn't help.

I did a log compare of the media bridge when connecting to the 2.4GHz vs the 5GHz SSID. It seems that the standard behavior of the router is to reboot when connecting to a new SSID, so it generates a fresh log whenever I switch.

There are very few differences: one in the very beginning and then a set of lines at the end. For one, the 2.4GHz never explicitly spits out the network name and key, whereas the 5GHz connection goes nuts and spits out the SSID and the network key plainly in the log. I've obscured any private stuff just to be safe.

Anywho, maybe you guys can take a look, these are the only lines that were different according to WinMerge. It also happens to be the very end of each log, sans the local timer line (there were no lines following the ones pasted).

2.4GHz Log:

Dec 31 19:00:10 kernel: Calibrating local timer... 499.858MHz.
Dec 31 19:00:13 qcsapi: write qcsapi conf ok
Dec 31 19:00:52 RT-AC87R: start httpd
Dec 31 19:00:52 crond[557]: crond: crond (busybox 1.17.4) started, log level 8
Dec 31 19:00:52 disk monitor: be idle
Dec 31 19:00:52 syslog: Generating SSL certificate...
Dec 31 19:01:19 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 617:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Dec 31 19:01:19 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 617:notify_rc stop_ntpc
Dec 31 19:01:19 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 617:notify_rc start_ntpc
Dec 31 19:01:19 rc_service: waitting "stop_ntpc" via udhcpc_lan ...
Aug 7 19:25:38 rc_service: ntp 622:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Aug 7 19:25:40 disk monitor: be idle
Aug 7 19:26:17 crond[557]: time disparity of 1893565 minutes detected

5.0GHz Log:

Dec 31 19:00:10 kernel: Calibrating local timer... 499.831MHz.
Dec 31 19:00:13 qcsapi: write qcsapi conf ok
Dec 31 19:00:13 start_psta: ssid=*I've removed this*, auth=psk2, crypto=aes, encryption=TKIPandAESEncryption, key=*I've removed this*
Dec 31 19:00:52 RT-AC87R: start httpd
Dec 31 19:00:52 crond[559]: crond: crond (busybox 1.17.4) started, log level 8
Dec 31 19:00:52 syslog: Generating SSL certificate...
Dec 31 19:00:55 disk monitor: be idle

I've noticed a bug in the Network Map, when checking connected clients. The number of connected clients frequently doesn't match the actual number of listed client. It will say there are 14 connected but only list 7 clients. It doesn't matter whether the router is rebooted, reset, firmware reinstalled, or anything else, the discrepancy remains. This is using the Asus firmware. Any ideas?

The client list only shows 6 at a time, click the arrows at the bottom of the client list to show more. That list is still full of bugs.

Just wanted to report that I solved my issue with the Media Bridge on 5GHz and it is definitely a bug in all firmwares for the RT-AC87.

If the 5GHz network password has any spaces in it, the media bridge is unable to connect. The 2.4GHz network password may have spaces without issue.

I literally removed all the spaces from my 5GHz band password and everything started working! I'm humming along at about 1170Mb link rate, equating to a fairly stable 45 Megabyte/Second transfer speed! This is worlds above the 190Mb link rate I was getting on 2.4 (in addition to the 50 thousand other SSIDs clogging up 2.4GHz).

WPS bug or feature?

I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design but when you hit the "Reset" button in the WPS tab in the Wireless section, the router resets to default all your wireless settings for both bands, including SSID, password, encryption, etc. I had assumed hitting the reset button would only affect WPS functionality and not erase everything but maybe this is how it's suppose to work? If it is, it seems like a poor interface choice to put a reset button in a subtab when it that affects settings in other wireless sections. Seems like it's more appropriate for this reset button to be in the general tab (assuming resetting everything is a feature and not a bug).

I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design but when you hit the "Reset" button in the WPS tab in the Wireless section, the router resets to default all your wireless settings for both bands, including SSID, password, encryption, etc. I had assumed hitting the reset button would only affect WPS functionality and not erase everything but maybe this is how it's suppose to work? If it is, it seems like a poor interface choice to put a reset button in a subtab when it that affects settings in other wireless sections. Seems like it's more appropriate for this reset button to be in the general tab (assuming resetting everything is a feature and not a bug).

This isn't a bug, it's by design, tho I admit it's not very well documented.

I had to roll back to the previous firmware. After updating to the latest release, I would wake up every morning to no internet connection from my Macbook Pro (5 ghz spectrum). The the control panel clearly said "internet connected". QOS, iaprotect both disabled. Just a note, I am using a 68u as a repeater but I doubt that would case an issue since i'm connecting directly to the 87.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

Is the mac sleeping or being booted up?

Try disabling sleep for the wifi hardware.

I had to roll back to the previous firmware. After updating to the latest release, I would wake up every morning to no internet connection from my Macbook Pro (5 ghz spectrum). The the control panel clearly said "internet connected". QOS, iaprotect both disabled. Just a note, I am using a 68u as a repeater but I doubt that would case an issue since i'm connecting directly to the 87.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

running v.2061 and my Macbook Pro with retina working fine everytime i wake it from sleep.

I am getting hundreds of "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" in the RT-AC87R system log. Not sure what is causing this. Anyone have any suggestions??

I am getting hundreds of "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" in the RT-AC87R system log. Not sure what is causing this. Anyone have any suggestions??

Check for any loop in your network, especially for any device that would connect to both Ethernet and Wifi at the same time.

Check for any loop in your network, especially for any device that would connect to both Ethernet and Wifi at the same time.

I continue to see this error all the time, sometimes more then other's. I have personally went threw and checked my whole network. Including both my bridge extender's connected to the 87R using 5GHz band. I took each device connected to the extender's, and check them all to make sure there was no saved wireless settings. To make sure nothing was trying to connect both way's.

I do remember when flashing the N66U with the latest asus firmware, and putting it into bridge mode. I looked at the log on it, and it was even logging this same error. So I don't know what kind of supposedly network loop the router is thinking, is happening. But there is no device trying to connect both wired(via the bridge), and wirelessly at the same time.

After 3-4 days of being on I start not being able to browse the web on 5Ghz. If I disable wifi and reconnect it, it works for a few minutes and starts acting up again. Rebooting the router fixes it for days. Did not have this issue until the current firmware.

Last edited:
Well I can't figure out what's causing this error, it happens on avg like once per hour, and log up to about 9 of them max, sometimes only 1-3. I guess it's not something to worry to much about at this time.

I have the exact same issue - new RT-AC87, once an hour about a 1/2 dozen of these messages. I have no QoS, etc. I have tried various things to fix this: Move to CTF Level 1 switch control, assign all LAN devices static IPs, nothing works.

On a related note: I had a RT-AC66U I was using as a media bridge (no DCHP involved). Those logs would fill up so fast, it would bring down the router in 30 minutes - Couldn't load admin page, needed a hard reboot.

I pulled the media bridge off the network, to confirm that wasn't the issue. I am still getting the errors in my RT-AC87.

I am wondering if I have a bad unmanaged switch somewhere on my network, that's looping back traffic - But, I'm really stuck and could use the help. I'd love to turn on my media bridge again, and get rid of these errors in my primary router.

Two bug's I have notice lately. I see one, or two other's have mentioned as well.

1. When rebooting the router, the router will not auto mount a drive plugged in, at least not for me on the USB3 port using USB3 drive. Every time the router is rebooted, the drive has to be unplugged, and plugged back in to get it to re-mount.

2. I was recently streaming video via Samba from my usb3 drive, and I was noticing randomly. The video would get glitchy for a quick second, and after seeing this happen randomly a couple times. I notice when it was happening, I could hear the usb3 drive as if it was spinning up, like someone is accessing the drive.
Yet I am already accessing it watching video, so I shouldn't be hearing this, and seeing video glitching up at same time. As if for a brief second the drive spins down, then right back up.

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue - new RT-AC87, once an hour about a 1/2 dozen of these messages. I have no QoS, etc. I have tried various things to fix this: Move to CTF Level 1 switch control, assign all LAN devices static IPs, nothing works.

On a related note: I had a RT-AC66U I was using as a media bridge (no DCHP involved). Those logs would fill up so fast, it would bring down the router in 30 minutes - Couldn't load admin page, needed a hard reboot.

I pulled the media bridge off the network, to confirm that wasn't the issue. I am still getting the errors in my RT-AC87.

I am wondering if I have a bad unmanaged switch somewhere on my network, that's looping back traffic - But, I'm really stuck and could use the help. I'd love to turn on my media bridge again, and get rid of these errors in my primary router.
Have you tried disabling spanning tree protocol (STP)

Does anybody have this problem of the 5Ghz LED light constantly going off and back on again (in less than a split second)?

I kept getting this with all the factory firmwares that I tried and even with Merlin's build.

Is my set faulty or is it a bug? Thanks.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!