What's new

ASUS RT-BE92U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi RMerlin, I'm absolutely not arguing that WiFi 7 provides benefits for 5GHz band. I’m just saying that since only now there is real saturation with WiFi6 clients, and many more years will pass until they are replaced with WiFi7 clients, then, for the average consumer, there is absolutely no point in buying, for example, ASUS RT-BE92U with its 2x2:2, if you can, for example, buy a GT-AX6000 much cheaper, which is guaranteed to work better for this average consumer with his (mostly) Wi-Fi6 clients.

It can already be seen from the tests on Dong Knows Tech that a considerable number of WiFi7 routers have been released that work slower than the GT-AX6000 in 5GHz band (even using the BE standard). And it would be much more interesting to see what kind of latency these 2x2:2 BE routers would exhibit in the presence of a large number of concurrent clients with MU-MIMO support. There was already a post from BE98 user who complained that BE98 latency is worse than that of AXE11000.
Yes, that was me🤣 It's still slower than the free Wi-Fi 5 router that came with the fiber plan. A new firmware update should be available in 2 weeks, I will post the results with the new firmware in that thread.

Less ugly than any spider-looking router.

Where’s the tri-band version of RT-BE88U? 😢 I would like to buy a high-end Wi-Fi 7 router that doesn't look like a giant dead spider from outer space.
Those spider-looking routers actually look a lot better in real life than in the pictures/videos online... The BE98 looks ugly as hell when I look up pictures/video online, to a point where I was thinking about getting something else. But it looks pretty cool when I have it in hand.

I wish there is a model with
2X2 2.4GHz 802.11n, for legacy and smart home devices;
2X2 5GHz 802.11ax 80M, for ac/ax legacy devices;
4X4 6GHz 320M, for cutting edge devices.
That will be the best for me.

The 2.4 GHz band is 802.11be now as well on WiFi 7 routers.
2x2 on the 5 GHz band is a bad idea imho, since more and more devices uses it, whereas the 6 GHz band is still very much a niche band that some laptops and phones/tablets can use.

The 2.4 GHz band is 802.11be now as well on WiFi 7 routers.
2x2 on the 5 GHz band is a bad idea imho, since more and more devices uses it, whereas the 6 GHz band is still very much a niche band that some laptops and phones/tablets can use.
The things are
1. I don't need any clients be ax or ac in 2.4GHz. They will not support be anyway. My use of 2.4GHz don't need high speed nor latency. It just doesn't make any sense. The important spec is only the compatibility and just stay connect. I will definitely use 6GHz if I need top speed or latency.
2. Like I said, 6GHz is the band I will go if I need top speed or latency, and less interference. Now the requirement for 5GHz is just stay connect and compatibility, and somewhat ok speed for old devices which I don't care about top speed or latency.
If I care, I will buy new client devices and conenct to 6GHz.
In short, the 3 bands should be designed for different tiers of needs. Spec overlapping and redundant design is waste of money and mostly overkill.

Last edited:
The things are
1. I don't need any clients be ax or ac in 2.4GHz. They will not support be anyway. My use of 2.4GHz don't need high speed nor latency. It just doesn't make any sense. The important spec is only the compatibility and just stay connect. I will definitely use 6GHz if I need top speed or latency.
2. Like I said, 6GHz is the band I will go if I need top speed or latency, and less interference. Now the requirement for 5GHz is just stay connect and compatibility, and somewhat ok speed for old devices which I don't care about top speed or latency.
If I care, I will buy new client devices and conenct to 6GHz.
In short, the 3 bands should be designed for different tiers of needs. Spec overlapping and redundant design is waste of money and mostly overkill.
1. You clearly don't understand the improvements that have been done to the 2.4 GHz band since 802.11n from 2009 until today. You might not care, but for others, it matters.
2. Good for you, but it has crap range, doesn't go through more than one wall at best and is irrelevant for 98% of people right now. It's just a huge marketing push for something most consumers won't benefit from.

If you want said product, why not start a company and make said product and see if it'll sell? Considering not a single router maker has done so, should tell you something.

1. You clearly don't understand the improvements that have been done to the 2.4 GHz band since 802.11n from 2009 until today. You might not care, but for others, it matters.
2. Good for you, but it has crap range, doesn't go through more than one wall at best and is irrelevant for 98% of people right now. It's just a huge marketing push for something most consumers won't benefit from.

If you want said product, why not start a company and make said product and see if it'll sell? Considering not a single router maker has done so, should tell you something.
1. I work for Broadcom WLAN chip team, so don't tell me that I don't know WLAN tech details.
2. I am telling out my need because no product so far meets the need. If there is, you wouldn't see my comment. You want to hear about advice or what? Why so hostile to push people away?
3. You know why ax86u is very popular in ax era? Part of the reason is that 2.4GHz radio is using low cost design that most people are happy with the lowered price and don't care the performance at 2.4GHz.
4. Are you blind about the comments from residential customers that they don't want to upgrade their wireless router to ax nor be, because the ac speed is already good enough. The motivation to upgrade is declining year by year. Accept or not, most customers don't need fast speed for legacy devices

Asus ZenWiFi ET8 is almost 1:1 to your requirements:

2.4GHz 2x2
5GHz 2x2
6GHz 4x4

It is obviously Wi-Fi 6E product up to 4804Mbps link on 6GHz. You could have it and use it while waiting for Wi-Fi 7 version.

The motivation to upgrade is declining year by year.

True. The last big and usable update was 802.11ac, perhaps Wave 2 after. The rest is mostly marketing numbers with conditions.

Last edited:
1. I work for Broadcom WLAN chip team, so don't tell me that I don't know WLAN tech details.
2. I am telling out my need because no product so far meets the need. If there is, you wouldn't see my comment. You want to hear about advice or what? Why so hostile to push people away?
3. You know why ax86u is very popular in ax era? Part of the reason is that 2.4GHz radio is using low cost design that most people are happy with the lowered price and don't care the performance at 2.4GHz.
4. Are you blind about the comments from residential customers that they don't want to upgrade their wireless router to ax nor be, because the ac speed is already good enough. The motivation to upgrade is declining year by year. Accept or not, most customers don't need fast speed for legacy devices
1. That explains why you're so rude. Why are all Broadcom employees like that?
2. Hostile? I simply suggested you create the product you want and try to sell it. I've actually worked for a router manufacturer and I know exactly how hard it is to get consumers interested. However, the 2.4 GHz is still by far the most widely used one and if you truly work for Broadcom, then you should know about the improvements since 802.11n.
3. Cost vs. features. It always comes down to those two. Plus it's been plugged by a lot of techy people as the one to get. I always preferred Qualcomm based hardware though, but there haven't been any really good Qualcomm based routers after the R7800 which I used for about seven years.
4. Most people don't even buy a router, they use what their ISP supplies. You ought to know this as well, but apparently not. The major reason people don't upgrade their old hardware is because it's considered good enough and consumers don't take the security issues with old routers seriously. Your employer ought to spend some of the billions in profit they make to both tech consumers about the dangers of outdated router software, while also investing in using up to date Linux kernels on your side.

1. That explains why you're so rude. Why are all Broadcom employees like that?
2. Hostile? I simply suggested you create the product you want and try to sell it. I've actually worked for a router manufacturer and I know exactly how hard it is to get consumers interested. However, the 2.4 GHz is still by far the most widely used one and if you truly work for Broadcom, then you should know about the improvements since 802.11n.
3. Cost vs. features. It always comes down to those two. Plus it's been plugged by a lot of techy people as the one to get. I always preferred Qualcomm based hardware though, but there haven't been any really good Qualcomm based routers after the R7800 which I used for about seven years.
4. Most people don't even buy a router, they use what their ISP supplies. You ought to know this as well, but apparently not. The major reason people don't upgrade their old hardware is because it's considered good enough and consumers don't take the security issues with old routers seriously. Your employer ought to spend some of the billions in profit they make to both tech consumers about the dangers of outdated router software, while also investing in using up to date Linux kernels on your side.
1. Oh yeah? So a guy talks about rude when he assumes other people not knowing tech and so de-value their comments. What a joke.
2. I don't need to build a product to be able to comment about products. You don't need to be a football player to comment about football. That's elementary school logic and I really do not expect to see such comment here.
3. Finally you came to the point. The tech value vs money. I of course know what improvement there is from n to be even az. But the improvement worth 0 dollar at 2.4GHz.
That's the whole point of my original post. It worth nothing to me for 2.4GHz be so just give me the cheap chip to support n at 2.4 GHz.
4. You talk about tons of legacy 2.4GHz devices out there. I will assure you they will work perfect with n only mode.
5. You are right about ISP router. That's why it is so important to not spending money on unnecessary things to gain business edge from ISP point of view, and from customer point of view.
You just admitted that most customers have no need for cutting edge wifi. So you are actually backup my original post that 2.4GHz or even 5GHz don't need be nor ax.

Rt-be92u I would like to buy if asuswrt-merlin has support because it is already interested in getting a new one soon when it comes out in Sweden

This would be great if it has Dual 10Gbe ports with Tri bands. I'm looking for Wifi 7 router that half of the BE98 Pro price but have Dual 10Gbe and Tri bands. I will replace my elderly AX89X.

That's the RT-BE96U.

Yes, but the price is still a bit high for the Access Point only function, though. I will have to wait for a while then.

Yes, but the price is still a bit high for the Access Point only function, though. I will have to wait for a while then.
You won`t find anything cheaper with the specifications you are asking for...

You won`t find anything cheaper with the specifications you are asking for...

Yes, I think so. I will have to wait patiently then and hope that Black Friday will have a good deal for the RT-BE96U. Otherwise, I will have to stick with the AX89X for a while.

Have the pre-order for rt-be92u and it will be exciting to get hold of it as I ordered it last night in Swedish time and yes I know that you have to pay Swedish VAT when it arrives
And have ordered a power converter so that it can be used in the EU region

Couldn't wait to order as it takes a long time for some things to arrive in Sweden

I hope I will be satisfied with my purchase, but I guess I'll see later

Samuel wishes you a good day

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!