What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sounds cool. I might give it a try pretty soon.

Are there any known bugs or security issues with that particular firmware model?

I never experienced any bugs with it, but I think there have been numerous security fixes that Asus and Merlin have applied to each release since that build.

Do y'all know if I should reboot from the asus cfe page after resetting nvram to defaults and then entering nvram+commit on that same page? Or should I turn the router off and then back on to get the best results

sounds cool. I might give it a try pretty soon.

Are there any known bugs or security issues with that particular firmware model?

A lot. Check the changelog between 374.36 and 374.43 to see the complete list.

A lot. Check the changelog between 374.36 and 374.43 to see the complete list.

I actually have two rt-n66u routers, so I uploaded the sdk5 build on to my older one just to see if it would improve my wireless strength.

Turns out, my 2.4 ghz band actually got a little worse but it didn't drop a bar for some reason??? and the 5 ghz band was a little better.

Completely opposite of what I thought was gonna happen. I guess there must be some sort of interference somewhere in my house.... I have no idea why my signal is like it is now...

Is there any program I can use that is free or not that expensive that will pick up wifi interference?

Last edited:
Is anybody having issues with port forwarding in the newest firmware? For some reason my list of ports forward is gone and I cannot save any changes. i.e. - when I switch allow port forwarding from "yes" to "no" and then click save, nothing happens. The client status is also messed up, but I think everyone is having that problem

I actually have two rt-n66u routers, so I uploaded the sdk5 build on to my older one just to see if it would improve my wireless strength.

Turns out, my 2.4 ghz band actually got a little worse but it didn't drop a bar for some reason??? and the 5 ghz band was a little better.

Completely opposite of what I thought was gonna happen. I guess there must be some sort of interference somewhere in my house.... I have no idea why my signal is like it is now...

Is there any program I can use that is free or not that expensive that will pick up wifi interference?

InSSIDer is the answer :)
Install it on a laptop, run it and "walk" around with your laptop to monitor the wifi channel usage at the crucial locations in your house.
For your router you shall pick the least occupied channel out of 1, 6 or 11.

Is anybody having issues with port forwarding in the newest firmware? For some reason my list of ports forward is gone and I cannot save any changes. i.e. - when I switch allow port forwarding from "yes" to "no" and then click save, nothing happens. The client status is also messed up, but I think everyone is having that problem
Depending on your previous firmware you may need to revert to factory defaults and manually configure the router from scratch (do NOT load an old configuration backup file).

InSSIDer is the answer :)
Install it on a laptop, run it and "walk" around with your laptop to monitor the wifi channel usage at the crucial locations in your house.
For your router you shall pick the least occupied channel out of 1, 6 or 11.

I already have inssider 4 lol

My range use to be a good bit better with the same firmware and the same router. I think there's something causing interference but I have no idea what it is... I've tried different things... nothing seems to make a difference though.

I just don't understand it

I already have inssider 4 lol

My range use to be a good bit better with the same firmware and the same router. I think there's something causing interference but I have no idea what it is... I've tried different things... nothing seems to make a difference though.

I just don't understand it
I am not sure I understand your problem, here are some thoughts:

Sudden changes in wireless signal quality are often caused by external factors like new neighbor equipment or neighbor equipment using another wifi channel. Here InSSIDer is your helpful friend.
Further the climate plays a role (humidity for behaviour of the radio signals and temperature for behaviour of the router hardware) and obstacles between the router and the wireless client (did you move the router, or did you move obstacles?). This is something you have to determine yourself.
A bad powersupply may play a role by e.g. generating noise or supplying a low voltage, a little more difficult to determine.
Finally the router hardware may be aging.

Firmware with different wireless drivers will for quite sure have an effect on the wireless signal, either the signal strength or the throughput or what ever.
The wifi radio signals (multiple, because your router sends out multiple signals at the same time) are quite complex signals with many variables.
In addition, the firmware has drivers for two different radios: one for 2.4 GHz and one for 5 GHz. When both drivers are updated, you may find different effects on both radios.
For real good testing of just wireless drivers, one shall make firmware builds with just one driver changed at a time, and no other changes (as far as feasible). In the real world developpers allways make more changes in released firmware builds, and for wireless drivers they are bound to what the chip maker (Broadcom in this case) issues. The wireless drivers are part of a Software Development Kit (SDK) issued by Broadcom (not even Asus), that contains more then just the drivers.

Last but not least: the RT-N66U exist in different hardware versions. Have a close look at the product sticker for differences in models numbers etc. Maybe you shall post photos of both here (wipe out the MAC address).
I still doubt if different RT-N66U router hardware behaves the same with the same firmware builds.

Last edited:
kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address

Anyone have any idea what causes this?

I'm on rt-n66u b1

I'm still running .270. LOL! I don't worry about those so called risks.
They are not "so called risks" they are real risks.
Google for "router vulnerabilities".

Yes, many vulnerabilities are related to what you as user have configured (such as username/password, remote administration, port forwarding, wireless encryption, opening up access to your NAS). No firmware upgrade helps here.

There are also vulnerabilities that you as user cannot avoid except by installation of firmware that fixes the vulnerability.
Examples are Cross-site scripting (XSS), buffer overflows, CSRF, remote command execution.
Look here to find out about some known and allready fixed vulnerabilities:
http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-3447/Asus.html

Gaining access to "soho" networks and manipulating their Internet traffic is a major security concern these days. Once succesful, this kind of network access and manipulating of Internet trafic is very hard to detect by the standard protection mechnisms at the client end, virus protection and Operating System updates do not help there.
Vulnerabilities in D-Link devices where recently actively exploited.

The monthly Windows Updates are quite accepted these days, next is to understand the requirement to keep router firmware updated. And it is to the manufacturs to make that a flawless proces. Maybe they shall release security updates and functional updates as separate patches, similar to Microsoft. The upgrade mechanism shall be enhanced as well, to help the average user (that are not those who do read these forums).

I have 270, 271 and 276 for anyone who wants it.

Don't offer anything below 276. People with newer revisions will *BRICK* their RT-N66U with anything older than 276.