What's new

Asus RTT-AC87 Asuswrt-Merlin vs Netgear R7000 DDWRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gudi

New Around Here
Asus RT-AC87 Asuswrt-Merlin vs Netgear R7000 DDWRT

Hi guys

This might be a broad question, and if needed I will supply every information asked for.

I used quite a lot time setting up my R700 - trying every setting - and this is what I ended up using.

Netgear R7000
Y4lExnp.png

8dlhBy8.png

I then bought a new Asus RT-AC87 hoping to improve my Wireless network and obtaining a more user friendly admin interface compared to ddwrt.

Now using the all mighty Asus RT-AC87 with latest firmware upgraded from Asuswrt-Merlin I get worse speed results – and as I’m more limited to tweaking the wireless, I’m out of ideas. (Having a hard time accepting a slower speed but a better interface imo).

Test results (online speed test, run 3 times. I’m on a 250/250mbit fiber connection and full speed wired):
- Netgear R7000 DDWRT 5 GHz, 87/208mbit
- ASUS 2.4 GHz Original, 45/175
- ASUS 5 GHz Original, 42/157
- ASUS WRT-Merlin 2.4 GHz 16/58
- ASUS WRT-Merlin 5 GHz 53/174

Are there any hidden settings or tips on improving the speed? I’m scanning and choosing proper channels – I’ve also tried automatically channel.

I've had the Asus running as both Router and AP.

(I only tested from my Lenovo T430s with the latest drivers.)

Last edited:
You could by a Netgear EX7000 AC1900 your R7000 or a ASUS EA-AC87 to the ASUS AC-87 Router, i also hade the R7000 as a router and the ASUS RT-AC68U as a AP and vice verca with same bad speed as you. They dont MIX, then i try the Netgear EX7000 AC1900 for the R7000 it was like day and night.

pege63, please do not shout. :)

You could by a Netgear EX7000 AC1900 your R7000 or a ASUS EA-AC87 to the ASUS AC-87 Router, i also hade the R7000 as a router and the ASUS RT-AC68U as a AP and vice verca with same bad speed as you. They dont MIX, then i try the Netgear EX7000 AC1900 for the R7000 it was like day and night.