What's new

ASUS Unveils RT-BE88U WiFi 7 Dual-Band Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I could get the BE88U for 260$

This device has 10GbE ports with under Gigabit real packet processing capable hardware inside, relies heavily on built-in flow acceleration hacks, runs on 5 years old Linux kernel, AiProtection is not true IDS/IPS, requires data sharing to 3rd party company and will lose support in about 4 years time. You may have to look for another down the road. Temporary solution with limitations not disclosed in the specifications.

You're aware that those two are not just running entirely different operating systems, but don't have the exact same settings, so you're pretty much messing up your router every time you restore the config file from a different router, right?
You should just be glad you didn't brick your new router.

irrelevant, the universal config system manages importing older settings files and generally knows what its doing

You folks need to get the hell off this ill-informed train of posting nonsense about the backup and restore system.

I doubt you can brick a router just by overwriting configurations since they're not overwriting the OS itself.

You can't.
Dong did testing with the universal backup and restore and in his testing were models like the ax86u, its more likely an issue with importing a merlin/addon tainted backup to a stock rom than anything.

Last edited:
I can confirm it works pretty well from older ARMv7 AC-class platform through ARMv8 NHD AC-class to ARMv8 NHD AX-class. I don't have BCM4912 or newer device to test, but whatever I played with was flowless. There was a recent report for success between XT8 and XT12. So it obviously works and there is always reset option if for some reason it doesn't. It won't brick the router for sure. Otherwise Asus would have implemented some sort of protection.

Just ordered from Amazon.ca. Last one in stock. Hopefully it'll get merlin support down the road.

If you look at BestBuy - yes. Their usual different model/SKU so you can't price match.
Interesting, however I did manage to get Best Buy to price match B&H Photo's $349.99 because B&H also had BE7200 in their listing.

So bad product because no 6GHz band... That's a bit biased by the reviewer no?
Well, 4K QAM is basically a gimmick unless your typical use case is holding your phone/client device right next to your router most of the time. MLO is still buggy/unusable due to the lack of firmware update in its current state. So a WiFi 7 router with no 6GHz in my opinion is really bad, especially given its hefty price tag.

Well, 4K QAM is basically a gimmick unless your typical use case is holding your phone/client device right next to your router most of the time. MLO is still buggy/unusable due to the lack of firmware update in its current state. So a WiFi 7 router with no 6GHz in my opinion is really bad, especially given its hefty price tag.
Except the author pointed out that it was a lot cheaper than competing products with the 6 GHz, yet had the same or better featureset if the 6 GHz radio was not accounted for. I would call that bias and that's coming from someone that used to review hardware professionally.
Nowhere does it say that all frequency bands are mandatory for any WiFi spec.

Except the author pointed out that it was a lot cheaper than competing products with the 6 GHz, yet had the same or better featureset if the 6 GHz radio was not accounted for. I would call that bias and that's coming from someone that used to review hardware professionally.
The author also wrote this in the end:
However, that price advantage among Wi-Fi 7 routers isn’t guaranteed. For example, the TP-Link Archer BE800 has an MSRP of $599 and recently fell to just $350 during Amazon Prime Day. So bargain shoppers could score a full-fat Wi-Fi 7 router without compromise for the same price.

Nowhere does it say that all frequency bands are mandatory for any WiFi spec.
How about WiFi 6E? The whole point of WiFi 6E was the introduction of the 6GHz band.

I mean,whether it's worth buying or not is a very subjective topic. If you think it's worth your money, sure, you should buy it, show your love & support for the product, I don't see a problem with that.

I'm currently connected to the fiber network of my ISP using a Zaram ZXOS11NPI SFP+ (XGS-PON) module in a media converter. This all connected to a AC88U router.

I'm interested in this particular router because, besides being similar to the AC88U, the SFP+ port potentially allows me to get rid of the media converter altogether.
However, judging by what I've read online, the earlier SFP+ enabled ASUS routers (such as the RT-AX89X) do not support GPON or XGS-PON based SFP modules.

Has anyone been able to confirm if the BE88U also has this limitation or not? I haven't been able to find any info on that for this model.

Last edited:
I'm currently connected to the fiber network of my ISP using a Zaram ZXOS11NPI SFP+ (XGS-PON) module in a media converter. This all connected to a AC88U router.

I'm interested in this particular router because, besides being similar to the AC88U, the SFP+ port potentially allows me to get rid of the media converter altogether.
However, judging by what I've read online, the earlier SFP+ enabled ASUS routers (such as the RT-AX89X) do not support GPON or XGS-PON based SFP modules.

Has anyone been able to confirm if the BE88U also has this limitation or not? I haven't been able to find any info on that for this model.
I'm using this GPON SFP stick with my RT-BE88U for the past 3 months or so and I haven't had any issues.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!