What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi BQ16 Pro (BE30000 BB) Install Inquiry

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hemi11

New Around Here
Good afternoon-

My knowledge and understanding is limited, so I appreciate the coaching on how’d you setup this system for optimal performance. My intent is to replace an aging Orbi mesh system (router and 2x nodes) that has performed marginally given the setup and equipment limitations. I’m installing Cat 6A Ethernet cables in order to move to wired backhaul between the router and nodes with the addition of some switches. Further, my market has a new provider that has 5 gig fiber that I’d like to take advantage.

I’ll be or have purchased the following:
- Best Buy ASUS ZenWiFi BE 30000 WiFI 7 (3 pack)
- ZYXEL 12-Port multi-gig switch (XS1930-12HP)
- TRENDnet 5-Port 10G switch (TEG-S750)
- Cat 6A Ethernet cabling

I want to implement a wired backhaul between the BQ 16 Pro and 2x nodes - BB has an exclusive 3pack with a different naming convention called the BE30000. The fiber line will come into the downstairs furnace room where the primary router and 12-port switch will reside. I need to get my home office off WiFi and will run a Cat 6A Ethernet cable from the 12-Port Switch to the 5-Port switch in my office. Work cpu/Mac will be hardwired via Cat 6A cable. Does it matter what port is utilized on the ZYXEL to maximize speed? It can be run as managed or unmanaged - I’ve never made changes to a switch via managed settings, however, could learn if needed.

How would you wire the backhaul between the router and the 2 nodes? I’ve read about a multitude of ways to complete this and I’m confused and want to call in the experts. I’ve got the ability to run multiple Ethernet cables to both nodes and want to retain the highest (in this case 10 gig) speeds to future proof my network. Would I need to use the switch or daisy chain? The router and matching nodes have limited ports beyond 1 gig and confused on the most ideal way to setup.. likely a softball question, but, want to ensure I’m running cabling correctly from the start.

Lastly, given my limited experience setting up networks.. am I able to use the same network name/password and all the devices used to connecting to Orbi would automatically connect to the new ASUS system, once implemented? If you could provide links or suggested posts that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and help!
Brett

ZYXEL is a company I don't have experience with using their networking products. For my home I don't use PoE either, and unless future expansion may go that direction, they tend to produce a lot of heat. (Maybe that was just bad luck when my wife brought home some work equipment with it)...

This guide is very good at explaining, I believe Scenario 2 best fits your set up:

Any further clarification please feel free to ask as I'm sleepy this morning and a little cloudy...

Yes setting up the same SSID and password is a trick I learned from online. Sometimes if you get a buggy client simply "forget" the network then re-set up the connection.

Thank you @jzchen - my worry, based on reviews is that legacy cameras/devices will not connect per BB and other retailer sites. Has anyone had or recommend setup options for ASUS ZenWiFi BE 30000 WiFI 7? It would be great to hear from other owners and setup options/issues or how to combat problems with setup.

Thanks.
Brett

I have Zen ET9 (2 pack). Speeds are really good but I had nothing but problems with this brand of router. I have a wireless front/backhaul with good connection spanning 2 floors but sessions are dropping both wired and wireless with nothing in the logs. Support is lacking and not many posts about Asus new Zen routers online. Might want to go with Linksys having similar speeds.

Yeah I have the 2-pack and if i could still return it, i would. Not worth it at the moment as there are too many bugs

What was your main issue? Maybe we can help each other as it did work perfectly for about 8 days.
Thing is i've used asusmerlin on my routers since before i can remember. The main issue has been low speeds/inability to seamlessly move between mesh units. I thought it was settings-related, but changes I made never seemed to do anything. Good news is things have improved tremendously since the last firmware update on 8/15. I figure it will just get better once they keep releasing them since it's a new product in the wifi 7 world. In retrospect it wasn't worth the headache.

I see. I'm using their current firmware for ET9 and doesn't look like any updates have been made since I bought it back in July.
Speeds are good and no issues between nodes when moving around.
Today same thing happened while in a meeting, got disconnected 4 times within an hour. No logs on router to pin point what issue was or even the device.
Chances are I'm switching back to my Linksys router and will use the ET9 as an extender to reach my 3rd floor. I really wish they could figure out what parameter could be wrong here. Doesn't matter if I'm on 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands, same issue.

I have Zen ET9 (2 pack). Speeds are really good but I had nothing but problems with this brand of router. I have a wireless front/backhaul with good connection spanning 2 floors but sessions are dropping both wired and wireless with nothing in the logs. Support is lacking and not many posts about Asus new Zen routers online. Might want to go with Linksys having similar speeds.

thanks I was contemplating switching from Orbi to Zen.

I have no issues with Linksys MR9000 other than slower speeds if you plan to have router span 2 floors. I had to get an extender on my 3rd floor but if you have it in middle of your house, should be fine for 5 Ghz. Only "bad" thing is their app and how they manage clients listed. The data is never accurate so you'll be wondering what MAC is linked to what IP.

Just letting you guys know an update was released to help fix some more bugs. I'm upgrading right now so not sure how well it helps but the patch notes are:

Version 3.0.0.6.102_36736
63.56 MB
2024/09/10
Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
- Optimized AiMesh backhaul performance.
- Improved WiFi client roaming behavior.
- Fixed client list GUI issues.

Does BQ16 extend VLAN's (eg VPN, IOT or Kid's Network) to nodes? It seems to work only on the master router on my XT12s set-up.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!