What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.37 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not here I'm afraid. My laptop is next to the router and multiboots Win 7 & 8.1 amongst other OSs.

All parameters are the same (hardware and software) except the OS. Plus, having the laptop less than half a meter from the router rules out interference. The dips are frequent and substantial. Wi-fi performance throughout my house is excellent.

My results are totally reproducible.

I still think the dips you are seeing are due to interference from outside signals. It is not related to the OS. I have a Windows 8.1 laptop which shows rock steady siganl in Inssider in one room. The same laptop when I move to the next room 20 feet away I see minor fluctuations in the signal. Another laptop in a third room at the other end of the house running Windows 7 shows occasional deep dips by about 10 db every now and then.

Even if you are right next to your router, the interfering outside signals are also there with you.

When you see signal dips in WIFI, it means there is interference. You are using 40MHz bandwidth(11+7) in the 2.4Ghz band. If you look at the graph, your setting is overlapping channel 6 which two or more of your neighbors that is close to you are using. Not only you are seeing the dips but also your neighbors. Use 20MHz width with the cleanest channel, your neighbors will love you. :)

Yes, I am also seeing the dips in several of my neighbors also. I would normally agree with you about playing nice as well, however, I only have one neighbor with internet. The complex I live in provides FiOS TV in the rent. FiOS requires routers to provide connectivity for their boxes to work. The result is everyone here has routers hogging up channels that do not actually use the wireless for anything and only have internet that is severely limited to FiOS servers for on demand TV and program guides. When I knock it down to 20MHz I loose too much bandwidth. I use the 2.4 band for legacy devices and for longer distance (out on the front porch) where the 5G doesn't penetrate as well. The 144mb/s connection I would be left with would be way to slow for my needs. I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything that was correctable within my limits of compromise (and in this case the new firmware) and appreciate your insight. :)

Do you have 2.4GHz band @40MHz too as the OP? Interferences comes from everywhere even if the client is close to the router, it's statics from the outside that counts and the inSSIDer graph represents the wireless router, it shows what the wireless router receives in the immediate range it has nothing to do with the client.
No, I am @ 20MHz. Don't forget, the only variable is the OS here - the interference you mention would be a relative constant and not prevalent under one OS only. I know interference can come from anywhere, but with the receiver being right next to the router, the required signal will swamp any much weaker interference. The type if interference you are talking about comes into play if the desired signal is weak. Inssider shows what the client is receiving and not the router - otherwise the signal strength of MY signal would be constant throughout my property as would every other signal.

Last edited:
Win 8.1 here also.
If possible, I'd check it with a win 7 PC too. Your results may not be as valid as mine as my laptop mutliboots (3 versions of windows and 4 Linux distros). So my *only* variable is the OS. I can reproduce this at will.

No, I am @ 20MHz. Don't forget, the only variable is the OS here - the interference you mention would be a relative constant and not prevalent under one OS only. I know interference can come from anywhere, but with the receiver being right next to the router, the required signal will swamp any much weaker interference. The type if interference you are talking about comes into play if the desired signal is weak. Inssider shows what the client is receiving and not the router - otherwise the signal strength of MY signal would be constant throughout my property as would every other signal.
Do you have many SSID in your neighborhood like dragonxxx? Try to use 40MHz bandwidth in the 2.4GHz band so it duplicates dragonxxx's situation then test if inSSIDer will differ in those OSes.

Hi,

No dragons here. I am in the UK and all are BT apart from one which is Talktalk and one where the SSID has been customised (like mine).

Yes, I am also seeing the dips in several of my neighbors also. I would normally agree with you about playing nice as well, however, I only have one neighbor with internet.
Even if you have a neighbor with internet but others wireless are on,you will still get noise/interferences.

The complex I live in provides FiOS TV in the rent. FiOS requires routers to provide connectivity for their boxes to work. The result is everyone here has routers hogging up channels that do not actually use the wireless for anything and only have internet that is severely limited to FiOS servers for on demand TV and program guides.
I am a FIOS subs and the wireless can be turned off with the FIOS provided router. Don't know why theirs are on for nothing. But like what I said, those stations(SSID) that you see around you will interfere with your signal internet or not.

When I knock it down to 20MHz I loose too much bandwidth. I use the 2.4 band for legacy devices and for longer distance (out on the front porch) where the 5G doesn't penetrate as well. The 144mb/s connection I would be left with would be way to slow for my needs. I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything that was correctable within my limits of compromise (and in this case the new firmware) and appreciate your insight. :)
If you are using 2.4GHz for legacy devices, 144Mb connection should be enough, legacy devices are only 54Mb or lower. 144Mbps is enough for 75/35Mbps internet service, what is the speed you are subscribed?

When I knock it down to 20MHz I loose too much bandwidth.
You mean connection rate? Have you tested the speed of your internet @40MHz vs 20Mhz setting? What are the results?

Last edited:
Hi,

No dragons here. I am in the UK and all are BT apart from one which is Talktalk and one where the SSID has been customised (like mine).

Lol I'm not asking literally if there are dragons there. I'm asking if there are many WIFI stations around you. Many stations around you plus 40MHz channel bandwidth equals interferences.

Even if you have a neighbor with internet but others wireless are on,you will still get noise/interferences.

I am a FIOS subs and the wireless can be turned off with the FIOS provided router. Don't know why theirs are on for nothing. But like what I said, those stations(SSID) that you see around you will interfere with your signal internet or not.

If you are using 2.4GHz for legacy devices, 144Mb connection should be enough, legacy devices are only 54Mb or lower. 144Mbps is enough for 75/35Mbps internet service, what is the speed you are subscribed?

You mean connection rate? Have you tested the speed of your internet @40MHz vs 20Mhz setting? What are the results?

Ok...
After throwing every possible setting at this you are definitely right. Even though I only get a 144Mbps link speed (vs 300 on 40 MHZ (counter intuitive-sort of)), 20 MHZ channel 11 seems to be the sweet spot with 8.34 D/l and 17.55 U/l. 40 MHZ channel 11 yields only 5.* D/l and 18.* U/l. Contrasting to 5GHZ (866.5Mbps link) and wired which consistently yields 59.* DL and 39.* UL on a 50/30 connection. The installers leave the wireless on for TV only connections (no clue why) and pollution/over saturation seems to definitely appear to be the contributing factor. Thanks for the advice. As far as OP regarding Win 8.1 is concerned, all my comps are running it-in the future may dual boot one to check it but not at this time-also thanks.
Returning this thread to its upright position as I was originally inquiring if the firmware was a possible issue.

No, I am @ 20MHz. Don't forget, the only variable is the OS here

Different OS can also mean different wireless driver. I remember a few months ago someone had wifi issues after upgrading to Windows 8, his issue was ultimately resolved by also updating the wireless driver by downloading a new version from the manufacturer's site rather than relying on Windows Update.

Ok...
After throwing every possible setting at this you are definitely right. Even though I only get a 144Mbps link speed (vs 300 on 40 MHZ (counter intuitive-sort of)), 20 MHZ channel 11 seems to be the sweet spot with 8.34 D/l and 17.55 U/l. 40 MHZ channel 11 yields only 5.* D/l and 18.* U/l.

Returning this thread to its upright position as I was originally inquiring if the firmware was a possible issue.
If the D/l/U/l speed is 8.34Mbps/17.55Mbps, your 2.4GHz is underperforming, an optimized wireless should be easily do your subscribed speed. FIOS advertised speed of 50/25Mbps in my area is actually closer to 60/40Mbps wirelessly. So you need to tweak it more.;)

a. Clear NVRAM then configure it manually
b. Better driver from Asus(if it's the one contributing to your slow speed which I doubt)
c. Update your wireless client's driver to the latest.
d. Find a better channel @20MHz

I assume your Actiontec wireless is off?

Last edited:
Also notice another reason I stopped using the old SDK5 drivers on my N66U. Because the media server/driver will cause streaming video to stop/drop every 20 minutes, causing me to have to restart the video every time. Btw I was using the latest oldusb release for the N66U. I will switch to the SDK6 version tonight or tomorrow morning, as this isn't an issue when using the newer wireless drivers.

Yes and yes..
Actiontec wireless is off acting only as MoCA bridge for STB's.
I just used a previous .cfg file I had saved (yes I have read the warnings about introducing old gremlins) before checking back here seeing your post and all is good now on 2.4x20 2.4x40 and 5G settings. Thanks again! Its always the obvious that's easily overlooked. Also using Asus USB-AC53 adapter with latest dated 8/28 ver. 2.0.5.9 .

Last edited:
Also notice another reason I stopped using the old SDK5 drivers on my N66U. Because the media server/driver will cause streaming video to stop/drop every 20 minutes, causing me to have to restart the video every time. Btw I was using the latest oldusb release for the N66U. I will switch to the SDK6 version tonight or tomorrow morning, as this isn't an issue when using the newer wireless drivers.

i am facing this issue on AC68U..

what do i need to do so that mediaserver will stream well and not drop each 10-20 minutes ?

(Experienced this more on wired network. . Don't know much if this is on wireless as well )

Last edited:
RT-AC68U owners, can you give this 374.37_2 test build a shot?
I only integrated the updated CTF and wireless drivers in it so I could flash it on my main router and give it a more thorough test, but I thought I'd push this to Mediafire for others to try out.
Hi,

After running the 374.37_2 test build for a day now, I cannot see any differences in the wireless performance:
The AC68U is currently "only running as access point" as I am missing Entware for using it as main router.

The wirless signal level is the same as before (firmware 374.37) andthe througput is also the same.

As the AC68U is behind some rather "WLAN blocking walls", the speed is not perfect, but (again) the same as before.
If I go with my notebook to the other half of my flat (near to the AC68U) the singal level jumps up and the speed as well.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Different OS can also mean different wireless driver. I remember a few months ago someone had wifi issues after upgrading to Windows 8, his issue was ultimately resolved by also updating the wireless driver by downloading a new version from the manufacturer's site rather than relying on Windows Update.

Good point. The drivers are different. Luckily, the issue seems to be cosmetic as wi-fi performance itself is fine.

Last edited:
i am facing this issue on AC68U..

what do i need to do so that mediaserver will stream well and not drop each 10-20 minutes ?

(Experienced this more on wired network. . Don't know much if this is on wireless as well )

I dunno what the exact problem is, I just know when I use the N66U build with the SDK6 wireless driver this isn't a problem. Last night though I went threw this problem watching a video threw the media server, and video wouldn't lag or anything. The video would just instantly stop every 20 minutes. So I personally blame the older SDK5 drivers at least for the N66U side of thing's. I dunno if Merlin can look into, and maybe solve this problem or not though.

I have never had any issues streaming music or full HD video using SDK5 in fact for my N66 SDK5 is very stable both bands.

quick question not specific to merlin builds

does any of download master/transmission/pyload dl manager offer auto torrent download via RSS? If not, any way to setup auto downloads? I can't find any info on it...hoping to just buy an external HDD and plug it via USB3 on my AC56U instead of getting a NAS. I figured 50-60MB/s read 20-30MB/s write is plenty to stream BD rips

I understand that the Client Status list on the network page should be fixed in .37, but I still have the same problem on my AC68U running 37_2. When the router comes up from reboot it will display some of the connected devices, but will never update again when new devices are added (should it update when the page is reloaded without having to click refresh?). Clicking the refresh button causes the list to be cleared and remains empty forever with the spinner showing.

Is anyone else having this problem? I read a post from user TNR27 describing the same situation as myself and he identified it as a problem with a Windows Home Server machine. Interestingly, I also have a WHS but unplugging it from the wired network does not resolve my problem. Also interesting that TNR27 said disabling a radio causes the list to repopulate, which is effective for me as well. I think this may just be because it results in a restart of the networkmap process.

I've tried playing around with it while looking at the source code. If I send SIGUSR1 to networkmap, I can see that the nvram setting networkmap_status changes to 1, and several seconds later it changes back to 0 again. This suggests to me that the arp scanning is working properly but the webui isn't getting the memo. In which case my problem is mostly unrelated to what Merlin recently fixed. Merlin, could this be true?
Thanks.