What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I uploaded Beta 3 to Mediafire.

Code:
376.44-beta3 (31-Jul-2014)
  - NEW: Merged with GPL 376_2044 (from AC87U).  This includes amongst other things a minor webui refresh, and IE compatibility fixes.
  - CHANGED: Updated miniupnpd to Git head (as of 20140731), which includes NAT-PNP fixes
  - FIXED: SmartSync hangs (updated binary blobs with copies extracted from FW 376_1123) (N16/N66/AC66)

I also reverted the FAT32 driver to the kernel version instead of Tuxera on MIPS devices, as it wasn't stable enough. The ARM version (which is about 6 months newer) seems to be fine, and is what Asus is using on the RT-AC87.

This should be the last beta before the final release, which I want to push out before the end of my vacation as I won't have much time for development in the following week or two. I know there will still be a few issues left (such as those related to the new Networkmap), but since this is Asus's code and it isn't critical in any way, I will let them debug that one.

does this fix the 2.4ghz problems I have on my 68u and n66u
ie, stuck on channel 1-20mhz no matter what?

The channel downgrade issue has been there for months, and is part of the closed-source driver, so beyond my control. From what I gathered, when the router downgrades from 40 MHz to 20 MHz due to interference, it will default to a specific channel rather than use any user-specified one. Use 20 MHz instead of 40 MHz, that should let you specify the desired channel.

EDIT:
I also just tested my N66U on channel 11 (seeing there was no real interference on it at the moment), and was able to get it to stick to 9+11 at 40 MHz, so the issue definitely only occurs when the router downgrades to 20 MHz - which is a longtime known issue.

Attachments

• n66-40mhz.jpg
    n66-40mhz.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Html Error on Traffic Monitor web UI page BETA 3

Schermopname (1).jpg
Please see attached image. Router is AC68U.

I mentioned that way back in this thread and never got a response. Wonder if beta 3 will fix these issues if not i will stay at 43_2

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=130956&postcount=27

This one I will let Asus sort out, since it's their code and it's not critical enough to be worth the time from me.

I just tested this with Asus stock 1071 and merlin 44 beta 3.

I found the network map names/icons issue is only in Merlin's build.

When you make changes to name and icon in the network map all entries in stock firmware or merlin 44 b4 are retained in the router under custom_clientlist .

On stock firmware these entries are retained after reboot.

On Merlin the custom_clientlist has no entries after reboot so something is clearing the list.

Merlin - I believe you said you are doing the network map somewhat differently than Asus does so maybe this is it.

Both were tested with and without any entries in DHCP static list with the same result.

Last edited:
The channel downgrade issue has been there for months, and is part of the closed-source driver, so beyond my control. From what I gathered, when the router downgrades from 40 MHz to 20 MHz due to interference, it will default to a specific channel rather than use any user-specified one. Use 20 MHz instead of 40 MHz, that should let you specify the desired channel.

EDIT:
I also just tested my N66U on channel 11 (seeing there was no real interference on it at the moment), and was able to get it to stick to 9+11 at 40 MHz, so the issue definitely only occurs when the router downgrades to 20 MHz - which is a longtime known issue.
must be new code at play as I never had this issue on other versions, now both routers are doing it :(

Then I have no other idea.

I have an idea!

I used the Asus DDR update utility:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/DDR_RT_AC68U_1007.zip

On closer in inspection I notice it flashes the included file:
cfe_rt-ac68u_1.0.1.6.bin

This file includes:
0:ccode=US
1:ccode=US

Eg it is a US CFE and likely overwrote any data that was in my original CFE.
I can only make the assumption Asus did ship my device with AU region but it was lost after the CFE update.
OR
The CFE was always incorrectly set.

When you make changes to name and icon in the network map all entries in stock firmware or merlin 44 b4 are retained in the router under custom_clientlist .

On Merlin the custom_clientlist has no entries after reboot so something is clearing the list.

Merlin - I believe you said you are doing the network map somewhat differently than Asus does so maybe this is it.

Both were tested with and without any entries in DHCP static list with the same result.

The networkmap code should be nearly identical now since 376.44. I'll have to see if it was something that didn't get merged properly, unless it's a regression in 1779/2044.

I have an idea!

I used the Asus DDR update utility:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/DDR_RT_AC68U_1007.zip

On closer in inspection I notice it flashes the included file:
cfe_rt-ac68u_1.0.1.6.bin

This file includes:
0:ccode=US
1:ccode=US

Eg it is a US CFE and likely overwrote any data that was in my original CFE.
I can only make the assumption Asus did ship my device with AU region but it was lost after the CFE update.
OR
The CFE was always incorrectly set.

If that's the case, then something is wrong with the update tool. I would expect it to preserve MAC, WPS PIN and regions.

Just installed beta 3 on my AC66R and things look good. I still have to leave the 5GHz settings on auto to get 80Mhz. Any setting change seems to revert to channel 36 and 20MHz...No issue on 2.4GHz so far.

If this worked properly on stock firmware then it was by pure luck. The issue was that Asus defined that nvram variable as both a permanent setting and a temporary state setting. Removing the latter instance made custom_clientlist survive reboots.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/29f7ecae38e251e26f38d0fc78e2bb46833970f9

What is the best way to determine what GitHub version the releases are based on? Are the version bumps immediately following a release?

Beta 3 on RT-AC87 showing VPN running on status page

Just did the update to Beta 3 on the RT-AC87R. Even though I haven't enabled OpenVPN or any VPN on the router the status page is showing OpenVPN server 1 is running.

I did a PS and found it running:

Code:
 794 admin     4116 S    /etc/openvpn/vpnserver1 --cd /etc/openvpn/server1 --

With Beta 3 the icons have changed for tablet devices, all clients except Windows PC now share the generic icon.

My 5Ghz is still not working therefore I'm reverting back to the previous stable build for now as the Auto setting leaves awful 5Ghz range.

I have the RT-AC-N66U

Last edited:
Just did the update to Beta 3 on the RT-AC87R. Even though I haven't enabled OpenVPN or any VPN on the router the status page is showing OpenVPN server 1 is running.

I did a PS and found it running:

Code:
 794 admin     4116 S    /etc/openvpn/vpnserver1 --cd /etc/openvpn/server1 --

That's because Asus handles openvpn settings a bit differently from me, so switching from the stock FW will cause this. Just disable it again on the OpenVPN page.

With Beta 3 the icons have changed for tablet devices, all clients except Windows PC now share the generic icon.

Works for me. My Nexus 7 shows as a tablet. Could be because your client list hasn't fully refreshed/rescanned.

I have the RT-AC-N66U

Must be some kind of hybrid there. Is it an AC66 or a N66?

Ive done a reset from the router and rescanned at it isnt showing different icons for my wireless clients.