What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for this one. Fixed issues I was having with Xbox Live and Facebook. Here is the command I used:

ip6tables -I FORWARD -o INTERFACE -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1420

Where do I type in that command within the firmware? Sorry, I'm not super versed in this stuff. What should I be using for "INTERFACE?"

EDIT: I'm trying to learn here, do I enable SSH and use something like PuTTY to send these commands to the RT-N66U?

EDIT: OK, so I have PuTTY running and I'm connected to the my RT-N66U via SSH. I have the prompt window open and I'm sitting at /tmp/home/root#.

How do I get to where I need to be in order to input:
ip6tables -I FORWARD -o INTERFACE -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1420

EDIT: Do I find my INTERFACE be looking at the routing table? Under "Iface" I see WAN and LAN. Nothing else. LAN appears only once while WAN appears 3 times.

EDIT: Oh I see. Yes, I need to reference the routing table. I see lots of "interfaces" though under "Iface." I see: 6rd, br0, eth0, eth1, eth2, lo, and vlan1. I'm not sure which one to use. :(

EDIT: Alright. So I set the command: ip6tables -I FORWARD -o vlan1 -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1420
I just typed the command and pressed enter. So hopefully the world doesn't blow up. I have no idea what this does.

Last edited:
Seems a little backward maybe the description should be better.

Yes) use current DNS for IPv6.
No) define your own DNS for IPv6.
FWIW the language seems perfectly clear to me.

Yes) Connect to ISP's DNS servers automatically

No) Set your own DNS server IP addresses

UPDATE: The IPv4 page has a mouse-over help message of "Allows this router to get the DNS IP address from the ISP automatically." Maybe the same message should be present on the IPv6 page.

Last edited:
Hi Merlin

The AiCloud 2.0 - Smart Sync ist not Ok in the Beta 3 FW

Slow SMB transfer speeds using NTFS drive

I have a 3TB NTFS USB drive attached to my RT-N16. I had firmware 374.41 installed previously and was getting 7-10 MB/s transfer speeds using SMB transfers. With new firmware, it is down to about 2.5-3.0 MB/s. I notice that is starts off OK at about 7 MB/s, but after 4-5 seconds slows down to 2.5MB/s. I also notice that the CPU usage grows to 100% exactly when it starts to drop down to 2.5MB/s. CPU stays pegged at 100% during transfer (and xfer rate does not go above 2.5MB/s). I allowed the router to settle about 30 mins after rebooting, and looked to see if there were any other processes taking CPU cycles, but nothing I could see.

Anyone else seeing these very slow transfer speeds on NTFS connected drive?

EDIT: I decided to SSH into the router and use TOP to see which processes where doing what. Oddly, TOP shows that during a transfer, SMBD never uses more than about 15-20% cpu, and there is plenty of idle time still left. CPU never goes above 30% or so. But, in the WEB interface with the new firmware, the CPU usage stays at 90-100%. Very odd. But I tend to trust TOP over the CPU meter in the web page.

But in either case, the transfer speeds are quite bad. Still about 2.5MB/s. I might just go back to prior firmware for now, but I wanted to share my results.​

Last edited:
Just had a loss of wireless connectivity on N-66W / Beta 3 after 23 hours uptime.

Router was visible on both 2.4 and 5 GHz, but all the wireless devices disconnected and wouldn't re-connect, neither on the main nor on the guest networks. Tried toggling the radio (WPS) button but that had no effect (didn't even make the radio LEDs go off). No new error messages in the system log. Wired devices were all working fine.

Did a reboot from the GUI and everything works again.

Confirmed SMB rate slowdown using NTFS USB Disk

I switched back to 374.43, and my USB xfer rates went right back up to 8-9MB/s range from the 2.5MB/s I was getting with the 376.44 beta 3. Staying with older firmware for now. Let me know if you need me to test anything as I am happy to switch back to beta release to help with testing.

With all the previous firmwares I could get HD on the chromecast I have in the bedroom, but with .44 beta 1, beta 2 and beta 3 I can only get SD and always with cuts, so it's impossible to watch.
With a win7 notebook on the chromecast location I can check a 10db loss after the change in fw from .43 to any of the .44 betas.

I know that Merlin is sick of people complaining about wifi performance and decided to go with the official and current ASUS driver but I would like to appeal to one last chance to try and keep the old driver.

Beta 1 still had the exact same driver as 374.43 and yet you report a performance drop there, so there is nothing for me to downgrade. That's why I decided to simply switch to the latest driver, as once again, I got completely conflicting results regardless of which driver was being used. People report different performance even when they are using the exact same driver.

I wish I could be more specific - RTN66U.

The latest Merlin releases based on ASUS firmware SUCKS!

Wireless sucks in range and signal.

Running Tomato on a same RTN66u is faster, snappier.

Merlin does great work but is brought to his knees by the kletchy ASUS firmware releases and their apparent drive to slow down the routers prior to court action.

Until Merlin advances to the level of Brainslayer we are all lost!

just pulled the source with the intent being compiling with BWDPI disabled and IPSEC enabled. However, I see that the target.mak in src-rt-6.x.4708 already has BWDPI=n and IPSEC=n.

am I in the wrong source directory or is the new BWDPI not enabled in your released builds yet?

If I want to be able to use IPSEC still I just need to make sure BWDPI =n, correct?

Beta 1 still had the exact same driver as 374.43 and yet you report a performance drop there, so there is nothing for me to downgrade. That's why I decided to simply switch to the latest driver, as once again, I got completely conflicting results regardless of which driver was being used. People report different performance even when they are using the exact same driver.

I'm aware of that and my only guess is that something outside the driver is affecting the performance, maybe some parameters on power or something else.
If it's complicated or not possible to resolve this I completly understand and will have to keep the .43 firmware.

Really, thanks for all the effort you've put on this hobby!

I have also been experiencing some issues with my RT-N66U since the first beta, but both beta 3 and reverting to the 43 did not solve my issues :(

I upgraded to the first beta a couple of days ago. I noticed the wireless range and speed had significantly gone down from what they were before. On Friday I upgraded to Beta 3 and this did not solve the problem.

However, I just downgraded back to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_0 and this did not bring back the old range and speed either. The past year or so I was consistently getting download speeds of around 130Mbps where I’m sitting now. Now I can’t get any more than around 14Mbps (downloading from a local Synology NAS). When I move to my garden just a little further, speeds are now measured in kilobytes rather than the megabytes it used to be. A few steps more and the connection is gone where it used to be fine.

I did a factory reset and that unfortunately did not help either.

Could it be that any of the default wireless settings have been changed in the past few firmware versions? That maybe I kept the old ‘good for me’ settings because I upgraded and kept those settings over the past few versions, but ‘caught up’ to the new defaults when upgrading to the beta and remained there when downgrading and doing the reset. (Though I am fairly sure I did a factory reset couple of months ago as well trying to get the download center to work, so it would have to have been fairly recent).

Is there any information I could give you or anything I could do that would help deciding if this is just an incident or that there's actually something wrong?

Anyway, thanks for all the effort you have put into this firmware :) You have probably done more good for this firmware than the people at Asus ;)

I have updated to 376.44 beta 1, beta 2 and beta 3 almost as soon as they were available on my RT-N66U. With beta 3, the internet connection is horrible, unlike the first two betas. Even on a wired computer.

Websites take a few seconds to load (even if I've just browsed to them seconds ago) and everything just feels like molasses.

I will have to do a full reset later today or tomorrow to see if that solves anything (from 374.43, I haven't needed to until now).

I agree with longbowh and terribell that it may be something other than the driver giving these issues.

Looking forward to resolving them soon.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 567
just pulled the source with the intent being compiling with BWDPI disabled and IPSEC enabled. However, I see that the target.mak in src-rt-6.x.4708 already has BWDPI=n and IPSEC=n.

am I in the wrong source directory or is the new BWDPI not enabled in your released builds yet?

If I want to be able to use IPSEC still I just need to make sure BWDPI =n, correct?

setting bwdpi to n and ipsec to y should do the trick.

I have updated to 376.44 beta 1, beta 2 and beta 3 almost as soon as they were available on my RT-N66U. With beta 3, the internet connection is horrible, unlike the first two betas. Even on a wired computer.

Websites take a few seconds to load (even if I've just browsed to them seconds ago) and everything just feels like molasses.

I will have to do a full reset later today or tomorrow to see if that solves anything (from 374.43, I haven't needed to until now).

I agree with longbowh and terribell that it may be something other than the driver giving these issues.

hey L, strictly talking about wireless ?

Make sure BWDPI is set to n (it's the case for all models except AC87 as I don't have any non-QTN linked binaries for the DPI engine yet), and set IPSEC to y (I have made it default to n last night).

After that, delete the src-rt-6.x/.config file, do a "make cleankernel clean", then start your build.

Hi Merlin

I have webstor Account whit googlemail adress an i have error

Another closed source binary bin from Asus that's linked against the Quantenna client library (despite not needing it in any way). Guess I'll have to also add a third separate bin for asuswebstorage.

Now that you mention this L, noticing the same thing