What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In this case(N66U), the icon is only showing the control channel, no width.

That's odd. My N66U shows 165/20MHz here. It must only occur under certain specific circumstances.

Okay that's good to know. Either mtd-erase -d nvram is not completely erasing the nvram or my bootloader's domain info in 5GHz has changed after flushing to 1.4 bootloader. I have defaulted the settings using the mtd method but after the reset, I've notice the time zone(eastern time) didn't change so it seems the factory reset didn't completely erased the nvram. I'm thinking the bootloader could have not done these since the 2.4/5GHz domains have different country codes, it should be the same?

If you changed the CFE then that's likely the source. Try checking what values are in the CFE. An example here:

Code:
cat /dev/mtd0ro | grep regulation_domain_5G

You can grep the other regional settings that way to see what's in CFE. Those are what will get applied at boot time, regardless of what's in nvram.

Upgraded to Beta 2 successfully.
One small hiccup though:
After firmware upload i rebooted router as required.
I almost had an heart attack when after router finished booting, all LEDs went off!
Router was accessible though, during booting after upgrade ledsoff.sh script kicked in for some reason (it is set to activate at 22:00 which wasn't the case).
I set that nvram value and rebooted the router. LEDs were fine after that.

The script might have gotten confused at boot time in the period between the moment the clock isn't set yet, and the moment it got updated.

EU region AC56 here.
5GHz wireless is always reverting to channel 36, 20MHz no matter what I do.
The client is an 866Mbps so I need an 80MHz fat channel.

Any ideas about what can be made?

Resolved by setting 5GHz wireless mode to Auto and channel b/w to 80MHz. Previously wireless mode was set to N+AC.
Strangest thing...

That's odd. My N66U shows 165/20MHz here. It must only occur under certain specific circumstances.
Yes, it only shows the control channel. I've forgotten to mention my N66U is in AP mode, does it matters?

If you changed the CFE then that's likely the source. Try checking what values are in the CFE. An example here:

Code:
cat /dev/mtd0ro | grep regulation_domain_5G

You can grep the other regional settings that way to see what's in CFE. Those are what will get applied at boot time, regardless of what's in nvram.

It looks like my CFE's values are set to Q2 in the 5GHz.
Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Tue Jul 29 20:02:43 UTC 2014
admin@RT-N66U-BE38:/tmp/home/root# cat /dev/mtd0ro | grep regulation_domain
regulation_domain=US
regulation_domain_5G=Q2
admin@RT-N66U-BE38:/tmp/home/root#

Smartsync/Asuswebstorage issues should now be fixed on Github. I imported the latest precompiled binaries from Asus's 376_1123 FW release. inotify now starts correctly on my N66U.

Yes, it only shows the control channel. I've forgotten to mention my N66U is in AP mode, does it matters?

It looks like my CFE's values are set to Q2 in the 5GHz.
Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Tue Jul 29 20:02:43 UTC 2014
admin@RT-N66U-BE38:/tmp/home/root# cat /dev/mtd0ro | grep regulation_domain
regulation_domain=US
regulation_domain_5G=Q2
admin@RT-N66U-BE38:/tmp/home/root#

This is the same as my own RT-N66U. Q2 is an alternate name for "US", so it should have the exact same channel and regional specifications as US from Broadcom's driver point of view.

That's something else for me to try. Some of the wireless code is indeed different while in AP mode.

I've just installed Beta 2 (didn't try Beta 1) on my N66U and have noticed the following messages in the log every time I write to my Samba shared USB drive.
Jul 30 20:49:16 kernel: bio_endio: want 4096 bytes done, only 0 left
Jul 30 20:51:01 kernel: bio_endio: want 4096 bytes done, only 0 left
Jul 30 20:51:13 kernel: bio_endio: want 4096 bytes done, only 0 left
Jul 30 20:51:54 kernel: bio_endio: want 4096 bytes done, only 0 left

Anyone tested this firmware on AC66U? If so was there any improvement if so what's have improved?

This is a beta build. The goal of beta builds is for people to run them to test things out and provide feedback, not to be used based on whether it's an improvement or not.

I've just installed Beta 2 (didn't try Beta 1) on my N66U and have noticed the following messages in the log every time I write to my Samba shared USB drive.

What filesystem are you using?

Does anyone know how I can change "EU" to "SG" in the following (CFE):

Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# cat /dev/mtd0ro | grep regulation_domain
regulation_domain=EU
regulation_domain_5G=EU

I'm using an AC66U. Thanks in advance!

Anyone tested this firmware on AC66U? If so was there any improvement if so what's have improved?

I've tested Beta1 on the AC66U. So far it's going on 2 days and appears rock solid. Had a bit issues when I installed it so I had to do a factory reset then import my settings (which I had stored in a file). The one thing I like the most is the new Status panel where it reports CPU/RAM usage. Also the devices panel where it displays connected clients is also improved :)

Wireless appears to be the same for me as the latest stable FW

I've tested Beta1 on the AC66U. So far it's going on 2 days and appears rock solid. Had a bit issues when I installed it so I had to do a factory reset then import my settings (which I had stored in a file). The one thing I like the most is the new Status panel where it reports CPU/RAM usage. Also the devices panel where it displays connected clients is also improved :)

Wireless appears to be the same for me as the latest stable FW

Thanks for helping out mate.. I will test this beta out hopefully I won't have to downgrade. Just a quick question just to confirm did your reset the router and you never had a problem after that?

Does anyone know how I can change "EU" to "SG" in the following (CFE):

Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# cat /dev/mtd0ro | grep regulation_domain
regulation_domain=EU
regulation_domain_5G=EU
I am also interested in changing these as the EU is NOT a regulatory domain - it is a crippled lowest common denominator mode for the whole of Europe.
Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Fri Jun  6 20:30:43 UTC 2014
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# cat /dev/mtd0ro | grep regulation_domain
regulation_domain=EU
regulation_domain_5G=EU

Hopefully somebody can come up with a simple solution to this.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping out mate.. I will test this beta out hopefully I won't have to downgrade. Just a quick question just to confirm did your reset the router and you never had a problem after that?

Well, what I did was this

1) backup my settings to a file
2) flash with Beta1 (router told me to manually reboot it so I did)
3) reset to factory default
4) import settings from backup

A small note: a few things didn't appear to be imported correctly. I had the 5ghz band set to channel 40 while it was set to auto after setting import. Same thing for the 2.4 band where I had it on chan 6 while it was set to chan 1. Also, all my port forwarding was gone. Luckily I only had a few ports open (torrent and ntp) so that was a few seconds of adding them back. Everything else was set up correctly

Well, what I did was this

1) backup my settings to a file
2) flash with Beta1 (router told me to manually reboot it so I did)
3) reset to factory default
4) import settings from backup

A small note: a few things didn't appear to be imported correctly. I had the 5ghz band set to channel 40 while it was set to auto after setting import. Same thing for the 2.4 band where I had it on chan 6 while it was set to chan 1. Also, all my port forwarding was gone. Luckily I only had a few ports open (torrent and ntp) so that was a few seconds of adding them back. Everything else was set up correctly

Thanks! Just to let you know beta 2 is out going to install that one now.

Low priority items (beta2)....

Tabs on WAN/Internet Connection are not formatted equally across the top of the page (this was also on 43_2)

Selecting the other tabs results in last line of tab text being cut off.

Attachments

• Tabs1.JPG
    Tabs1.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 507
  • Tabs2.JPG
    Tabs2.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 557