What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.46 is out (RT-AC87 only)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin,

Have Tim start warning people and if they continue to engage in inappropriate behavior then terminate their accounts. It must be some kind of violation of the user agreement to piss off Merlin. :D

I doubt Merlin is a teenager.

Adults react well to stimulation - it keeps them young and on their toes.

We certainly do now want any forum police here!

I doubt Merlin is a teenager.

Adults react well to stimulation - it keeps them young and on their toes.

We certainly do now want any forum police here!

Really? I assume you have donated >$100 to Merlin for his work that you are using, because otherwise it takes a lot of stones to call out a guy doing lots of work releasing custom firmware when you haven't done any. Not to mention the probably 5,000+ replies he's made to help forum members.

Respect is earned, Merlin has done more than enough to earn mine.

Really? I assume you have donated >$100

Don't let it bother you. You can butt-sume whatever you wish.

There is no charge to belong to the Small Net Builder forums save reading the unblocked adverts.

And Nyet. We've banned Merlin builds for lagging behind the times.

Next ban will be for suspect NSA code injection on Asus routers!

Last edited:
Merlin,

May I know your build will be supported RT-N18U ?

I don't plan on supporting the RT-N18U at this time. I might possibly add the build profile to target.mak if someone wants to play with it, but it will be untested and unsupported.

I want to limit the number of devices I have to support because it's quite time-consuming, so I'm focusing only on the higher-end devices. Plus, I still don't know if the device will even be available in North America.

The only reason the RT-N16 is currently supported is because there was a lot of demand for it, and it was a very popular model back when it was Asus's high end model. And even then that's something I might not keep supporting in the long term, as more new high-end devices will appear.

And Nyet. We've banned Merlin builds for lagging behind the times.

Next ban will be for suspect NSA code injection on Asus routers!

Ah, good, so we won't be seeing any more of your posts here.

BTW, you might want to check the code in those cisco routers.

I don't plan on supporting the RT-N18U at this time. I might possibly add the build profile to target.mak if someone wants to play with it, but it will be untested and unsupported.

I want to limit the number of devices I have to support because it's quite time-consuming, so I'm focusing only on the higher-end devices. Plus, I still don't know if the device will even be available in North America.

The only reason the RT-N16 is currently supported is because there was a lot of demand for it, and it was a very popular model back when it was Asus's high end model. And even then that's something I might not keep supporting in the long term, as more new high-end devices will appear.

Thanks

If you add the build profile to target.mak for RT-N18U, I will try to compile it.

Thanks

If you add the build profile to target.mak for RT-N18U, I will try to compile it.

Cool, let me know how it works out if you do.

Earlier this week I added the RT-AC56S profile, I will probably try to add the N18 profile during the weekend.

Thanks

download latest GPL code for RT-AC87R/U 376.2678

find in archive:
/asuswrt/release/src-rt/target.mak file

/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps/RT-N18U

copy /asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps/RT-N18U to /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps

copy paragraph "export RT-N18U := ......" from /asuswrt/release/src-rt/target.mak to /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt/target.mak export

or you make easy:
1. copy /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps/RT-AC68U to /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps/RT-N18U
2. copy in /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt/target.mak paragraph "export RT-AC68U := ......" and rename it to "export RT-N18U := ......"

download latest GPL code for RT-AC87R/U 376.2678

find in archive:
/asuswrt/release/src-rt/target.mak file

/asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps/RT-N18U

copy /asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps/RT-N18U to /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps

copy paragraph "export RT-N18U := ......" from /asuswrt/release/src-rt/target.mak to /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt/target.mak export

or you make easy:
1. copy /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps/RT-AC68U to /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/sysdeps/RT-N18U
2. copy in /asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt/target.mak paragraph "export RT-AC68U := ......" and rename it to "export RT-N18U := ......"

Copying the GPL target profile would provide a starting point, but a few things must be adjusted to re-add things such as SSH or DNSFILTER. The AC68 profile doesn't match the N18 profile exactly either, so one must be crafted out of the two.

RT-AC87R clients stop connecting. I don't know what's causing this, but it might have something to do with the settings I have on my R7000 running DD-WRT, but it's only setup as an access point and has most features disabled. On the RT-AC87R, I'm running the .46_alpha1 firmware. I can connect to the internet if I'm connected to my AP, which is hardwired into the AC87R, and I can access the Internet if I'm hardwired into the AC87R, but about once every 2 days or so, all wireless clients on the AC87R get kicked off and can't connect back to either the 2.4Ghz band or the 5Ghz band. It usually happens overnight, but if I go power cycle the router, everything starts working again. It's such an intermittent problem.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Cool, let me know how it works out if you do.

Earlier this week I added the RT-AC56S profile, I will probably try to add the N18 profile during the weekend.

Thanks

I will setup the compile environment and wait for you to add the N18 profile.

I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned before or even exclusive to your build.

In VPN -> VPN Server tap, hitting Apply will activate the server rather than submitting the changes.

Just going to the page and without changing anything, hit apply and it will switch the VPN server on. If it was already On and you hit Apply, it will stay On.

RT-AC87R running 376.46

I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned before or even exclusive to your build.

In VPN -> VPN Server tap, hitting Apply will activate the server rather than submitting the changes.

Just going to the page and without changing anything, hit apply and it will switch the VPN server on. If it was already On and you hit Apply, it will stay On.

RT-AC87R running 376.46

already create issue https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/issues/723

when upgrade firmware from previos than on/off switch not work if exist any username/password

Last edited:

RT-AC87R running 376.46

Works correctly for me - the server stays off. If you previously came from stock FW you might want to either do a factory default reset, or try clearing up the start flag that Asus sets to on by default on stock firmware:

Code:
nvram set vpn_serverx_eas=""
nvram commit
reboot

Thanks

I will setup the compile environment and wait for you to add the N18 profile.

The RT-N18U fails to build. It requires more than just a build profile, looks like various prebuild binaries are not compatible with those used by the AC56/AC68, possibly because they were compiled with SMP enabled. Adding support would require extensive changes to the build environment to provide separate (parallel) binary blobs based on SMP state.

It's the same problem with the RT-AC56S BTW.

Works correctly for me - the server stays off. If you previously came from stock FW you might want to either do a factory default reset, or try clearing up the start flag that Asus sets to on by default on stock firmware:

Code:
nvram set vpn_serverx_eas=""
nvram commit
reboot

Unfortunately, the code didn't help. I will reset router tonight and see if that persists and will report back.

Update: I decided to go ahead and do a factory reset from the UI.

The issue still exists.

Here is the system log after hitting the "Apply" button:

Sep 13 20:59:46 rc_service: httpd 2487:notify_rc restart_vpnd
Sep 13 20:59:47 pptpd[2902]: MGR: Maximum of 100 connections reduced to 10, not enough IP addresses given
Sep 13 20:59:47 pptpd[2902]: accel-pptpd-0.8.5 compiled for pppd-2.4.5, linux-2.6.36.4
Sep 13 20:59:47 pptpd[2903]: MGR: Manager process started
Sep 13 20:59:47 pptpd[2903]: MGR: Maximum of 10 connections available
Sep 13 20:59:47 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_vlan2_vlan2)!
Sep 13 20:59:47 dnsmasq[2806]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Sep 13 20:59:47 dnsmasq[2907]: started, version 2.72test3 cachesize 1500
Sep 13 20:59:47 dnsmasq[2907]: warning: interface ppp1* does not currently exist
Sep 13 20:59:47 dnsmasq[2907]: asynchronous logging enabled, queue limit is 5 messages
Sep 13 20:59:47 dnsmasq-dhcp[2907]: DHCP, IP range 10.0.0.2 -- 10.0.0.254, lease time 1d
Sep 13 20:59:47 dnsmasq[2907]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Sep 13 20:59:47 dnsmasq[2907]: using nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx#53

and here is it after turning it off:

Sep 13 21:00:02 rc_service: httpd 2487:notify_rc stop_pptpd

Edit: In order to replicate this issue, PPTP has to be selected from the drop-down menu.

Hitting "Apply" doesn't activate the VPN server when the selected mode is OpenVPN.

Here is the code of the "Apply" function:

function applyRule(){
if(document.form.VPNServer_mode.value == "pptpd"){
document.form.action_script.value = "restart_vpnd";
document.form.pptpd_clientlist.value = get_group_value("pptpd");
document.form.vpn_serverx_clientlist.disabled = true;
document.form.pptpd_enable.value = "1";
}else if (document.form.VPNServer_mode.value == "openvpn"){
document.form.action_script.value = "restart_vpnd";
document.form.action_script.value += ";restart_chpass";
document.form.vpn_serverx_clientlist.value = get_group_value("openvpnd");
document.form.pptpd_clientlist.disabled = true;

I think the problem comes from the red-colored line. It sets the value to 1 whenever the PPTP mode is selected.

Last edited:
The RT-N18U fails to build. It requires more than just a build profile, looks like various prebuild binaries are not compatible with those used by the AC56/AC68, possibly because they were compiled with SMP enabled. Adding support would require extensive changes to the build environment to provide separate (parallel) binary blobs based on SMP state.

So sad.

Anyway. Thanks

Merlin...excuse me if this is a dumb/wrong observation, but it looks like you loaded the binaries into a 'prebuild' directory.....shouldn't it be 'prebuilt'?

When I made that change (and a few others like going back to the paragon drivers) I was able to get a build to complete under my fork (maybe call it a Frankenstein build - I have no idea if it will actually work) :)