What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

USB Disk Errors

Sorry, this may be above, but it will not let me search for USB, since it is too common. I started getting USB errors (bad disk, wrong sector size, etc) at various upgrade points, latest with the 47 (376) build (AC66) on my 4TB drive. I read a few random comments about earlier versions, and decided to roll back to 43 (374) for grins, and sure enough my USB disk is okie dokie now. Is this a known issue with 376? Also this is probably a stupid question, so sorry in advance, but as far as clearing NVRAM and/or a factory reset. If I do either of these, would I have to retype all the settings in (vs loading a save file)? I have a boatload of static routed devices, so I have always shied away from doing this, other than when I messed up my password and locked myself out and had no choice. TIA.

The 376.xx code picks up a new NTFS driver so is different from the previous releases. It's supposed to be faster and ultimately more reliable, but I've seen a few posts with others having problems like yours. I don't remember seeing a final conclusion as to the cause/resolution.

Regarding your second question on saving user settings....a shameless plug here :)

I put out a utility a while back to do that, but the thread never got a lot of activity. You may want to check it out. In your case I'd make sure to save the restore script to a USB stick or other drive and not jffs. I seem to remember that there were some jffs changes between the 374 and 376 levels.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19521

Watchdog of dual wan does not work. Yesterday I had a problem with Internet over one of my providers, I could not ping 8.8.8.8, but dual wan did not switched to second wan. But if I unplug cable dual wan is work.

Minidlna icons

Hello all
I upgraded to 376.47 and all works fine on RT-N66u
There is a small "cosmetic" regression compared to previous version

Minidlna does not have upnp icon anymore and this results in an undefined icon seen by clients like Samsung TV

This dis not happen with previous firmware versions and there was a nice icon showing an Asus Router

I noticed that favicon.icon is missing and results as a 404 error in minidlna.log

==============
[2014/10/05 14:29:18] upnphttp.c:1008: warn: /favicon.ico not found, responding ERROR 404
==============

So I guess that this explains why Samsung TV does not show the right icon anymore but a generic "?"

Of course it is just a little cosmetic "bug" and it's fix is a "nice to have" :)

Best Regards
Ocram59

Last edited:
How do you clear the NVRAM?

This is the proper way to clear the nvram:
Code:
mtd-erase -d nvram && clear nvram && reboot

You do it in the linux shell prompt by opening a telnet or ssh connection to your router.

I'll give that a try. I've reflashed my routers to the .45 firmware, I've turned off my guest network, I turned the AP I'm using completely off, I'm not using QoS, and the only things hooked up are some wireless clients, some are connected to the 2.4Ghz band and some to the 5Ghz band, I have a WD 2TB My Cloud hooked up to one Lan port, and the other Lan port runs to my office where I have a Netgear ProSafe GS108Ev3 8 port Gigabit Plus switch which connects to my work PC, a printer, and a receiver. After losing my connection last night, I had to power cycle the router, which happens every morning, and this is part of my syslog from the very first entry when I turned it on up until I get the dead loop on vlan2 error:

Oct 5 09:51:02 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2
Oct 5 09:51:02 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2 (2014-08-17 16:15:14 EDT)
Oct 5 09:51:02 syslog: Password for 'admin' changed
Oct 5 09:51:02 dropbear[1211]: Running in background
Oct 5 09:51:02 RT-AC87R: start httpd
Oct 5 09:51:02 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_vlan2_vlan2)!
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[865]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: started, version 2.72test3 cachesize 1500
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: warning: interface ppp1* does not currently exist
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: asynchronous logging enabled, queue limit is 5 messages
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq-dhcp[1216]: DHCP, IP range 192.168.1.5 -- 192.168.1.254, lease time 1d
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: using local addresses only for domain TERMINUS
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: read /etc/hosts.dnsmasq - 10 addresses
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq-dhcp[1216]: read /etc/ethers - 19 addresses
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: using local addresses only for domain TERMINUS
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: using nameserver 68.105.28.11#53
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: using nameserver 68.105.29.11#53
Oct 5 09:51:02 dnsmasq[1216]: using nameserver 68.105.28.12#53
Oct 5 09:51:03 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!

When I flashed to the Asus firmware, I didn't get the error anymore, but I sometimes had trouble connecting. I hope someone can help me with this.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

roldogg - Did you ever apply the fix that was posted in the other thread you started on this topic? I think Merlin's build was released before the fix was integrated in the Asus code.

Last edited:
roldogg - Did you ever apply the fix that was posted in the other thread you started on this topic? I think Merlin's build was released before the fix was integrated in the Asus code.

The other fix had me logging in via telnet onto the RT-AC87R and running some command lines, but I have no ide how to do that. Are you referring to his latest build, 376.47, or the one I flashed back to, which is the .45 firmware? I have telnet, I'm just not familiar with you to login to the router and run the command lines. I was hoping I could correct it via a change in firmware since I've been using his firmware on all my Asus routers for a year or so and never had this problem before.

Is there a place I can go to and learn how to connect via telnet and run the command lines?

By the way, what part of my router is vlan2? It sounds like it would be a second network, like a guest network, that would be interfering.

Gone Back to .43, .47 has poor range and weaker signal. Also had it lock up totally and everything slowed to snail pace. Not how I wanted to spend Sunday afternoon but sorted after 45min of messing about.

Cleared NVRAM, Factory Reset and .43 and no more dramas, just works like it used to. Like cars, less add ons and fancy pants stuff, less to go wrong.:rolleyes:

Not blaming Merlin, he's kinda stuck like the rest of us with what Asus force upon us.

Also, this is a copy of my Routing Table.

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

70.186.178.1 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 WAN

70.186.178.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 WAN

169.254.39.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 LAN

192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 LAN

default 70.186.178.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 WAN

Should I have this many WAN entries? Sorry for my stupidity, I'm just trying to get this fixed. My next solution is what other people have suggested, and that's clearing my NVRAM. Now that I have my fantasy fb lineup in place, I can do without internet for a bit.

Is there a place I can go to and learn how to connect via telnet and run the command lines?

First, on the router go to the Administration/System page and click the radio button to enable telnet

If you are on windows, this will get you started....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/telnet-faq#1TC=windows-7

If Linux, open a terminal window and type telnet

once you get the telnet prompt enter

o 192.168.1.1 (that's the letter 'o' for open)

You will then be prompted for your logon info (same info as you use to logon to the router gui)

at the next prompt you will be able to enter the command for the fix

Regarding vlan2, I *think* it has to do with how the new QOS engine in the AC87 is implemented. Parts of it are running even if you don't activate any of the features.

Last edited:
What John said above is great advice. That said I just used putty and telnet for the first time yesterday and it was straight forward and easy to do. :)

First, on the router go to the Administration/System page and click the radio button to enable telnet

If you are on windows, this will get you started....

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/telnet-faq#1TC=windows-7

If Linux, open a terminal window and type telnet

once you get the telnet prompt enter

o 192.168.1.1 (that's the letter 'o' for open)

You will then be prompted for your logon info (same info as you use to logon to the router gui)

at the next prompt you will be able to enter the command for the fix

Regarding vlan2, I *think* it has to do with how the new QOS engine in the AC87 is implemented. Parts of it are running even if you don't activate any of the features.

Thanks, now hopefully I can get everything worked out. I did a 30/30/30 reset, but I'll give this a try next.

Thanks, now hopefully I can get everything worked out. I did a 30/30/30 reset, but I'll give this a try next.

A 30/30/30 reset does not do anything for Asus routers.

another "crappy wifi" here...

.47 suddenly became really bad on the 2.4Ghz side one morning. Pinging 192.168.1.1 was in 100+ms range with packet drops although the device was like sitting right next to it (however no problem on the 5Ghz side). Rebooted the router and everything immediately went fine.

I'm reverting it back to .43 for the time being. Was running .45 for a while and it had no problem either.

Thank you Merlin.
I want to get the kernel modules to make a usb sound card work as described here,
http://blog.qnology.com/2012/12/tutorial-apple-airplay-on-tomatousb.html

I was able to download the source and compile the image for rt-ac68u. The question is, what I am suppose to do to enable the related module? Should I edit linux/linux-2.6.36/config_base.6a?
Thanks.

config_base.6a is the correct place to change kernel options. Be warned however that due to the amount of pre-compiled, closed source modules used by the firmware, doing kernel settings change carries a high chance of breaking things up, as those precompiled modules will no longer match the kernel build. This can lead to breaking the NTFS driver, as one example of such precompiled module.

A couple of updates:

I cannot re-enable threading support to sqlite, as it causes other parts of the firmware to completely crash now. Only Asus can resolve this, since the code tied to this is closed source.

Various recent changes by Asus broke things such as port forwarding and the NAT loopback. This seems to be particularly visible on the AC87U. Reverting the NAT loopback code to Asus's own code partly fixes it - now the loopback works half of the time instead of never working at all.

The increasing amount of closed-source code getting added by Asus is starting to make my job more difficult than I am willing to deal with, to be honest...

A couple of updates:

I cannot re-enable threading support to sqlite, as it causes other parts of the firmware to completely crash now. Only Asus can resolve this, since the code tied to this is closed source.

Various recent changes by Asus broke things such as port forwarding and the NAT loopback. This seems to be particularly visible on the AC87U. Reverting the NAT loopback code to Asus's own code partly fixes it - now the loopback works half of the time instead of never working at all.

The increasing amount of closed-source code getting added by Asus is starting to make my job more difficult than I am willing to deal with, to be honest...

They should just hire you.