What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Set the first router in default wireless mode and the second in AP mode. Try rolling back the firmware to 45. Give the money to charity if all works well.:)
That's how I have things setup currently. It's the new firmware giving me these problems? This is the 2nd time this week I've had problems with firmware. The new firmware for my MB isn't compatible with my memory, which it should be, so when I set the XMP profiles and overclock my memory, CPU, and GPU, everything dies. Took a while to figure that out, but I'm glad these Asus boards allow you to flash the firmware straight from a USB port. Once I loaded firmware from 2 releases ago, everything magically started wotking.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

@roldogg Try enabling jumbo frame in Lan - Switch Control
Don't bother with jumbo frames. If you are lucky then your client will also support jumbo frames, all of them. Besides, in the best case scenario using jumbo frames you might be fortunate enough to eek out a 5-7% network performance gain. Besides, the problem started when he moved the RT-AC66U in place of his AP when he upgraded to the RT-AC87U. The obvious solution is to remove the RT-AC66U and replace it with the original repeater. If all is well after that then the issue is some kind of compatibility problem between the AC87U and the AC66U.

I had issues with 47 and just reinstalled 45 right over the top. Absolutely no issues. I have mine set up like yours DHCP is off on router #2 #1 does the assigning.
I also have mac filtering setup which for most is over kill but it helps me sleep better at night.:D
In my setup I have 4 routers the other 2 are in bridge mode through powerline.

IP assigning for mine are 192.168.1.1--4 running 2 Xbox 360's, 2 TV's, 1 Blueray Player and multiple other devices without problem.

Keep us posted and you'll get it sorted. Asus routers are very for giving.

Asus RT-AC66U, RT-N66U, Linksys EA6500 and EA4500.....Trendnet Powerline.

i'm currently on 376.47 and came from 374.43. been experiencing wonky wifi and speeds are definitely not as good (wired or wireless). if i want to revert back to 374.43, can i do that without restoring to factory default? and if i do have to, i can just restore my settings without any issues correct? i have my settings for 374.43 backed up previously.

same config as Roldogg

If it works, you name the charity. Should I roll back to firmware .45 on both routers (RT-AC87R & RT-AC66U)? Also, does it make any difference if the static IP on the AP needs to fall within the DHCP range or not? It's only setup as an AP and devices that connect to it get their IP from my primary router, if they don't already have a static IP, since DHCP is turned off on the AP. One last question, can I just flash back to that firmware with no problems or do I need to reset them, or load the default BIOS first and then flash the firmware since I'm going backwards? Like you have to do with DD-WRT?

Roldogg - I have the same configuration as you use extending my network. My primary router is AC68u wired-extended into Lan of 2nd router.

SInce you ahve DHCP=off on your second AP, have you double checked your manual configuration for DNS / Gateway / Subnet to make sure there are no conflicts with the DHCP server?
- For primary DNS I suggest using the lan address of your primary router or manually inserting one.
- on my secondary ap, I have a setting (non-merlin) for STP=off, DHCP=off
- on my secondary ap, I did not bother putting it into Client Mode (nor bridge), I left it as regular wireless router. ON yours, you may want to try both modes (Wireless Router, and AP Mode using Asus speak).
- also, your loop appears to be affiliated with vlan2, is this possibly related to the guest network? Maybe try to turn off guest network and see if that resolved the issue. Maybe guest network isn't getting same dhcp/dns config as primary lan/w-lan.

Let us know.

-Guy
gschlact

Last edited:
I put the Asus firmware back on my primary router, I'm still running Merlin's on my AP, and all the errors went away. I didn't change anything else.

Glad that you got things sorted.:)

Asus RT-AC87U (Merlin .47) use as Main Router.
- The 5 GHz channel change auto but I fix it manual.
- I will apply Port Forward setting again to use it. If not, it fail.

Asus RT-AC66U (Merlin .47) use as Repeater/WDS.
- When I use 5 GHz as Repeater. The 5 GHz devices can't connect to internet. I must change to 2.4 GHz as Repeater. All 2.4 & 5 GHz devices connect to AC66U will use internet.
- In Repeater mode, Wi-Fi devices on AC87U can't login to AC66U. It shows "Not found". What mistake ?

i'm currently on 376.47 and came from 374.43. been experiencing wonky wifi and speeds are definitely not as good (wired or wireless). if i want to revert back to 374.43, can i do that without restoring to factory default? and if i do have to, i can just restore my settings without any issues correct? i have my settings for 374.43 backed up previously.

You definitely need to clear your nvram if you are reverting to the 374.43 build from the 376.47 build. There is way too many changes between the two builds. Merlin also states in the change to the 376 builds starting with 376.44 that he updated to the official Asus wireless driver provided by Broadcom. (Changelog link below)

http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin/changelog.txt

Anytime there is a change in wireless drivers, there will always be problems if you do not clear the nvram after switching from a build that is using a different wireless driver.

I recommend always clearing out your nvram after switching from any build to another, regardless rather or not there is a wireless driver change. Clearing out your nvram will clean your router from any bad settings that may result from changing different firmware builds.

Last edited:
Disk spindown idle time... not working?

could someone with a hard drive connected to a RT-AC68U verify if the Disk spindown idle time setting is working ?

I have mine set to spindown after 60 seconds but according to my system log the drive keeps waking up and sleeping in a loop

Code:
Oct  4 03:14:36 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning down /dev/sda after 25 mins 
Oct  4 03:15:06 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning up /dev/sda after 30 secs 
Oct  4 03:35:06 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning down /dev/sda after 20 mins 
Oct  4 03:35:36 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning up /dev/sda after 30 secs 
Oct  4 03:55:36 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning down /dev/sda after 20 mins 
Oct  4 03:56:07 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning up /dev/sda after 31 secs 
Oct  4 04:21:07 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning down /dev/sda after 25 mins 
Oct  4 04:21:37 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning up /dev/sda after 30 secs

could someone with a hard drive connected to a RT-AC68U verify if the Disk spindown idle time setting is working ?

I have mine set to spindown after 60 seconds but according to my system log the drive keeps waking up and sleeping in a loop

Code:
Oct  4 03:14:36 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning down /dev/sda after 25 mins 
Oct  4 03:15:06 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning up /dev/sda after 30 secs 
Oct  4 03:35:06 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning down /dev/sda after 20 mins 
Oct  4 03:35:36 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning up /dev/sda after 30 secs 
Oct  4 03:55:36 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning down /dev/sda after 20 mins 
Oct  4 03:56:07 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning up /dev/sda after 31 secs 
Oct  4 04:21:07 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning down /dev/sda after 25 mins 
Oct  4 04:21:37 sd-idle-2.6[23159]: spinning up /dev/sda after 30 secs

You forgot to mention which firmware.

Download Masterver. 3.1.0.93 cannot download ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS torrents

Due to recent disk crash, i use ubuntu torrent as first torrent to test out download. it stucks and blocking other valid torrents to proceed. i can't delete the ubuntu torrent as well.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
12.04.5 LTS torrents

After renamed Download2 folder, and start off with other torrents, download master starts to works fine.

please note that, i use the same ubuntu torrents file to test on PC and xiaomi router. both working fine. May i know how i can file a report to Asus Download Master bug tracker?

Asus removed threading support to sqlite in recent versions. I have to assume this was done for stability and reliability reasons on SMP routers.

Not having inotify support doesn't mean minidlna won't work, it simply means it might not pickup changes on your USB disk in real time.

Apparently minidlna doesn't pickup changes at all until it's restarted (I waited for the update for more than a day now). I'm wondering if there is an option to build minidlna with static multi-threaded SQLite since the system one became single-threaded.

Does anyone know if the NTFS drivers have been fixed since they've been replaced? I had an issue where my drive would no longer mount. I did a chkdsk on it but no errors were reported. Problem may be related to having a 16TB, yes TB, not GB, hard drive connected. It worked fine with the older drivers. I last tried to mount on v44 if I remember right.

I don't actually have 16TB, I use a Drobo which can be partitioned to a larger size than the actual capacity installed. I did that to allow future proofing the drobo for the movies I install on it.

Glad that you got things sorted.:)
Spoke too soon. I woke up this morning to a router I couldn't connect to. I loaded the .45 firmware back on it and now it's giving me the vlan2 loop error message again.

How do you clear the NVRAM?

You can do a factory reset by holding down the small reset button for 15 seconds or power off the router and hold the WPS button in while turning the router back on continue to hold WPS button for 15 seconds. Either method will reset the router to factory default and clear NVRAM.

Clients not showing up in 47

I have the AC666u and after upgrading the firmware I'm not showing 0 clients

Any Ideas?

Roldogg I feel your pain. Thought it would be easy to reinstall 47, for the most part it was not that bad.
After clearing nvram a couple of times on the router and resetting my modem. I seem to be back in business. Gotta have some patience with this stuff.:eek:

Thanks for all the hard work RMerlin.

Last edited: