What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.14 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I forgot an important point, it's in AP mode. To try to solve it i was going back to router mode, renew certificate, and go back to AP mode. (seems no more ssh access problem, only the navigator always warn me of no security, but never possible to not have this)
But strangely anything of this particular folder has been touched. (always the same old files). I don't really know if this folder is (still) used.

AC86U AP mode 20 connected clients with zero issues.

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 06-14-54 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - System Information.png

syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(494): wds1.1: Deauth_ind "je change mais même adresse mac tout le temps", status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0

each minute

syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(494): wds1.1: Deauth_ind "je change mais même adresse mac tout le temps", status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0

each minute
That indicates most likely an AiMesh node that`s having difficulties connecting. Reset that node and repair it.

Everything seems fine over the past week, however I've notice events every 3 hours that say samba is restarting. This is a new phenomenon in 386.14_0.

Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U rc_service: dhcp6c 19454:notify_rc restart_samba
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart samba)
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U wsdd2[18816]: Terminated received.
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U wsdd2[18816]: terminating.
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U Samba_Server: smb daemon is stopped
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U dnsmasq[18786]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U custom_config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U stubby[19510]: Read config from file /etc/stubby/stubby.yml

This event and the automatic restart of samba, and subsequently dnsmasq and then stubby, happens every 3 hours, so it's obvious that the dhcp6c process is refreshing my ipv6 address at that interval, but I'm not sure why its restarting these services, which I don't want. Verified in my logs this was not happening in 386.13_2 or prior.

Is there any way to stop this? If dnsmasq and stubby are restarting every 3 hours this could cause an ill-timed client request to time out.

FYI - my ipv4 address is static

service-event contains these commands
#!/bin/sh

if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "connmon"; then { /jffs/scripts/connmon service_event "$@" & }; fi # connmon
/jffs/scripts/scribe service_event "$@" & # added by scribe
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "uiScribe"; then { /jffs/scripts/uiScribe service_event "$@" & }; fi # uiScribe
/jffs/scripts/dn-vnstat service_event "$@" & # dn-vnstat
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "scmerlin"; then { /jffs/scripts/scmerlin service_event "$@" & }; fi # scMerlin

I've done a dirty upgrade of the firmware on both the Asus RT-AC68U and Asus RT-AC66U B1, so the same firmware file, from 386.13 to 386.14. Thank you @RMerlin !

After the restart on the new firmware I was met with the End User License Agreement (EULA) and Asus Privacy Notice popups that @bennor mentioned in post #3 of this thread, for which only the latter can be declined.
I've declined it and got the further notice:
1721992613613.png

Of these, I only use ddns and remote connection, but the latter one is through vpn, so no wan access to the webui. As for ddns, that got disabled even if I don't use an asus ddns service, I use noip.com, but upon enabling it, all the ddns settings were there and I just needed to apply the enable change. Going through the same steps of reading and declining the Asus Privacy Notice from Administration, Policy page, the ddns feature is disabled again.
For me, this is a bug and I know is for Asus to solve, I just wanted to share my experience with it.

After a few days, aside from the above mentioned, no other issues to report.

Edit: 386 series firmware, not 384.

Last edited:
Just flashed to 386.14 on my RT-AC68U from 386.13. I did a "dirty" flash.

When I open the Skynet tab on the Firewall page, the vertical scroll bar disappears and you can't scroll down to see all the sections on that page.

I'm accessing the router's web interface using Firefox Version 128.0 on Linux Mint 21.3. The same thing happens using Chromium Version 126.0.6478.126.
SOLVED by Martinski: Please see the discussion in this thread:

SOLVED by Martinski: Please see the discussion in this thread:

Same issue with VNSTAT and now I get the issue on system log page using uiscribe on AC86U

Same issue with VNSTAT and now I get the issue on system log page using uiscribe on AC86U
For uiScribe, update to the develop branch of that script. User Martinski indicated, at the following link, they submitted a fix for the missing scroll bar issue with the unScribe addon script.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/yazfi-v4-x-continued.83846/page-7#post-919067
EDIT [UPDATE]:
The "missing vertical scrollbar" problem has been fixed for uiScribe. A PR has now been submitted to @Jack Yaz's 'develop' branch.

uiScribe v1.4.6 (local development run)

View attachment 60373

Everything seems fine over the past week, however I've notice events every 3 hours that say samba is restarting. This is a new phenomenon in 386.14_0.

Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U rc_service: dhcp6c 19454:notify_rc restart_samba
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart samba)
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U wsdd2[18816]: Terminated received.
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U wsdd2[18816]: terminating.
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U Samba_Server: smb daemon is stopped
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U dnsmasq[18786]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U custom_config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.
Jul 22 18:37:35 RTAC86U stubby[19510]: Read config from file /etc/stubby/stubby.yml

This event and the automatic restart of samba, and subsequently dnsmasq and then stubby, happens every 3 hours, so it's obvious that the dhcp6c process is refreshing my ipv6 address at that interval, but I'm not sure why its restarting these services, which I don't want. Verified in my logs this was not happening in 386.13_2 or prior.

Is there any way to stop this? If dnsmasq and stubby are restarting every 3 hours this could cause an ill-timed client request to time out.

FYI - my ipv4 address is static

service-event contains these commands
#!/bin/sh

if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "connmon"; then { /jffs/scripts/connmon service_event "$@" & }; fi # connmon
/jffs/scripts/scribe service_event "$@" & # added by scribe
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "uiScribe"; then { /jffs/scripts/uiScribe service_event "$@" & }; fi # uiScribe
/jffs/scripts/dn-vnstat service_event "$@" & # dn-vnstat
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "scmerlin"; then { /jffs/scripts/scmerlin service_event "$@" & }; fi # scMerlin

Update: it has nothing to do with samba, or stubby - disabled Samba, disabled DoH.

Yet every 3 hours dhcp6c (tries to restart) Samba and does restart dnsmasq.

@RMerlin Any thoughts on the service monitoring and restart triggers?

Jul 27 05:49:36 RTAC86U rc_service: dhcp6c 4272:notify_rc restart_samba
Jul 27 05:49:36 RTAC86U custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart samba)
Jul 27 05:49:36 RTAC86U Samba_Server: smb daemon is stopped
Jul 27 05:49:36 RTAC86U dnsmasq[5188]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM

@RMerlin Any thoughts on the service monitoring and restart triggers?

Jul 27 05:49:36 RTAC86U rc_service: dhcp6c 4272:notify_rc restart_samba
Jul 27 05:49:36 RTAC86U custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart samba)
Jul 27 05:49:36 RTAC86U Samba_Server: smb daemon is stopped
Jul 27 05:49:36 RTAC86U dnsmasq[5188]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
No thought at all, sorry. I rarely touch that section of the code so I'm not familiar with the details. If Asus decided to have it restart these services in newer GPLs, they must have a reason to do so.

Is anyone having issues with the Traffic Analyzer - Statistic page? I only see the last (current) one hour worth of data. Data in the past is erased after every hour update.
I did a factory reset with an initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History. Then, manually setup all of my settings.

The Traffic Analyzer - Statistic page is apparently broken in this release.

After updating the firmware to 386.14, scrolling on almost all add-on pages disappeared. Rollback to 386.13 solved the problem.

After updating the firmware to 386.14, scrolling on almost all add-on pages disappeared.
Well known issue with lots of discussion. Check the addon subsection to see if it has an update to the addon script. You may have to update to the "develop" version of the script.

A bit late to the party, but installed this firmware on RT-AC1900P router and got surprised by unusually smooth GUI for an RT-AC68U variant. I don't know what issues the recent changes create for add-ons, but the GUI feel is really nice. 👍

Perhaps my fresh install and no clients?

UPnP media server [RT-AC3100] not functioning after firmware upgrade to version 386.14

It functioned before the upgrade. I only used the UPnP media server [DLNA].

I confirmed that the data is accessible.

I do not see active daemon processes.

I did see the processes for a few seconds after I set "Rebuild entire database at start" to "Yes". I could also see the "rm" command for the required deletion. I reverted the setting to "No".

I removed the settings, saved, entered the configuration, and saved the configuration.

The log file did not have new entries.

I deleted the old log file.

I have restarted the unit.

Note: The syslog data correctly shows a failure because the media player cannot function until after the USB drive is mounted. That issue is expected. I manually restart my equipment during Saturday mornings.

The syslog data is attached as media-server-syslog-data.txt.

The unit is not accessible externally.

It is not the end of the world for me, but it was a good inexpensive media server.

Attachments

• etc-minidlna-conf.txt
    576 bytes · Views: 13
  • jffs-configs-minidlna-conf.txt
    477 bytes · Views: 14
  • jffs-scripts-minidlna-postconf.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 10
  • media-server-syslog-data.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 12
  • media-server-configuration.JPG
    media-server-configuration.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!