What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.14 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Regarding the disappearance of the scrollbar, I have a solution.
After the firmware is updated to 386.14, add the following to the *.asp that has the error:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="/js/jquery.js"></script>
to restore the scrollbar to normal.
The scrollbar disappears because the page triggers the " class PolicyUpdateModalComponent " of /js/asus_policy.js , causing the page to add “ style.overflow = 'hidden'; ”.
I don't quite understand why every *.asp must call /js/asus_policy.js ?
Does it have any important and unique functions ?

Regarding the disappearance of the scrollbar, I have a solution.
Nice workaround. Just an FYI. Many if not most of the affected addon scripts with the scrollbar issue have had updated versions issued for them to correct the issue. Check the addon subforum for the latest addon threads to see the update procedure to update to the fixed version of the addon.

Does the firmware "Check Update" button work for anybody on this version? I have an RT-AC68U and it just shows "Checking for available updates" with the spinner forever.

Does the firmware "Check Update" button work for anybody on this version? I have an RT-AC68U and it just shows "Checking for available updates" with the spinner forever.
Yep, works for me.

For the same model router?
Not same model but I have RT-AX86U_Pro, RT-AC86U & RT-AC66U_B1 all work OK.

Download locations are listed on: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download

The location searched for your router is:

or

Check that these are reachable from your connection.

Im going back to the firmware 386-13 on router AC68U.

Despite resetting the router, re-flashing with v14 firmware and resettings the router again, im still having few small issues.

1. After a couple of days the GUI is sluggish thus navigating through menu is difficult. Restarting the router solves the issue for a couple of days.

2. Having difficulty accessing USB drive attached to USB port. Restarting the router solves the issue but after few days, its back to square one.

Im going back to the firmware 386-13 on router AC68U.

Despite resetting the router, re-flashing with v14 firmware and resettings the router again, im still having few small issues.

1. After a couple of days the GUI is sluggish thus navigating through menu is difficult. Restarting the router solves the issue for a couple of days.

2. Having difficulty accessing USB drive attached to USB port. Restarting the router solves the issue but after few days, its back to square one.
What are or were the RAM and NVRAM values when the unit became sluggish and or the difficulty accessing the USB drive cropped up?
Are you running any addon scripts? If so which one's?

When using the router as a NAS (attached USB drive) the RAM can quickly become consumed (up to 97%) as one accesses data on the attached USB drive. If the RAM is being consumed by the USB drive usage one can temporarily clear the cache on the router which should reduce the RAM usage for a while by running one of the following lines of code via SSH on the router.
Code:
sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
or
sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
or
free && sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches && free
One user took to creating a script (run via crontab) to clear the cache on the router periodically (every day in their case) to avoid rebooting the router daily.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...e-for-select-models.81644/page-24#post-801602

What are or were the RAM and NVRAM values when the unit became sluggish and or the difficulty accessing the USB drive cropped up?
Are you running any addon scripts? If so which one's?

When using the router as a NAS (attached USB drive) the RAM can quickly become consumed (up to 97%) as one accesses data on the attached USB drive. If the RAM is being consumed by the USB drive usage one can temporarily clear the cache on the router which should reduce the RAM usage for a while by running one of the following lines of code via SSH on the router.
Code:
sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
or
sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
or
free && sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches && free
One user took to creating a script (run via crontab) to clear the cache on the router periodically (every day in their case) to avoid rebooting the router daily.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...e-for-select-models.81644/page-24#post-801602

RAM usage is low, around 75MB. Only time RAM usage goes up is when im copying a file from a computer to a USB drive that is attached to the router, which hovers around 187MB and afterwards ram drops back down. Or when streaming a movie from USB drive to Apple TV, RAM goes up to around 100MB. I can copy files to USB drive and stream from it simultaneously with no issues, ram never goes over 205MB and I can navigate routers settings as well.

No scripts of any kind, router is running in a simple Vanilla mode with basic settings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-28 at 9.03.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-28 at 9.03.49 PM.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2024-08-29 at 10.11.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-29 at 10.11.20 AM.png
    40 KB · Views: 22
@KGB7, is your CPU (both of them) always at near max usage as indicated in one of your screen captures even when not copying anything from/to the router USB drive? If so run top from SSH on the router to see what is using/consuming the processors.

PS: Or just run top via SSH when the router is sluggish to see what is consuming the router's resources.

@KGB7, is your CPU (both of them) always at near max usage as indicated in one of your screen captures even when not copying anything from/to the router USB drive? If so run top from SSH on the router to see what is using/consuming the processors.

PS: Or just run top via SSH when the router is sluggish to see what is consuming the router's resources.

Second image, show CPU usage and RAM usage while copying files on to USB hard drive that is attached to the router. While there is no activity of any kind, CPU usage is at near zero ( see first image ).

Checked on my AC68U. Works fine.

Yeah, works now. I installed this new version on 21-Aug and I checked many times after that but the check always hung. Then from around 27-Aug it started working. Did not change or reboot my router in that time so I believe something external was fixed.

Was going to upgrade to 386.14 today but looked through this thread and saw some of the issues people have been having. My 386.13 is working well, so looking at the known security updates i decided to stay for now.
It seems as long as you have remote login disabled, and don't use wget, WPS, or wifi radar there isn't a need to update right now.

Just use what works for you. In 3 months all support from Merlin will be ended and then it's over. Time to upgrade folks at least to an AX router if possible. These AC routers are truly on life support and the cord is about to be pulled.

Just use what works for you. In 3 months all support from Merlin will be ended and then it's over. Time to upgrade folks at least to an AX router if possible. These AC routers are truly on life support and the cord is about to be pulled.
Which is sad to think about because there is nothing wrong with these devices. I completely understand not being able to provide support forever but the AC models are still more than capable in this world. They're still 10x better than what my own ISP would be providing for a router. I guess it doesn't matter. I'll upgrade when I need to and Merlin will go right on it, but the amount of waste produced solely for the concept of planned obsolescence hurts to think about.

On topic, I had a pretty big issue accessing the administration pages for my router when I updated to this firmware. I didn't get any responses but after a day or two the problems with the pages not loading and also the certificate not being recognized seem to have resolved themselves. I have tried keeping up with this thread but was there a reason for that? I see some people had similar or the same issue and were unable to resolve. Just curious about the technical details with this firmware.

On topic, I had a pretty big issue accessing the administration pages for my router when I updated to this firmware. I didn't get any responses but after a day or two the problems with the pages not loading and also the certificate not being recognized seem to have resolved themselves. I have tried keeping up with this thread but was there a reason for that? I see some people had similar or the same issue and were unable to resolve. Just curious about the technical details with this firmware.

After putting off updating for too long I had a similar issue after dirty updating and thought "oh no..." After multiple browser refreshes, cookie deletions and I can't remember what else (ipconfig /release, renew, maybe rebooting router and PC etc.?), it started working again. I didn't need to change any certiificates, but I too am curious as to what caused this? User error no doubt! Not that it matters if there are no further updates :(

Fortunately, 386.14 is all good on both my RT-AC66U B1 router and AP. Except... I did note one issue that was not great. A curious prod on the Site Survey button on the router killed 5GHz. It would not come back without a reboot. Site Survey did work last time I tried (many months ago) but I seldom use it, so I guess I'll just avoid that in future (until AX replacements are in place).

Anyhow, belated thanks for this firmware update @RMerlin

1725410278463.png

Site survey seems to work normally for me Natty on AC68U.