What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.5.10 -Mar 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! (**Thread closed due to age**)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Viktor Jaep Thank you for continuing to improve this great utility.

I have a request for another feature addition: Please consider the ability to launch with an alternate config file in order to allow backup to an alternate destination. My thought is that I could backup to a remote server in addition to a local server in order to provide offsite backup.

@Viktor Jaep Thank you for continuing to improve this great utility.

I have a request for another feature addition: Please consider the ability to launch with an alternate config file in order to allow backup to an alternate destination. My thought is that I could backup to a remote server in addition to a local server in order to provide offsite backup.
Nice! I'll start putting some thoughts around how to handle this... ;)

Question. Can we just add the -backup switch to /jffs/scripts/services-start as the script doesn't seem to do it?

In fact any changes I make to the configuration don't seem to make it through to the cron job or services-start. It's not a headache, I can edit the cron myself (which is fine), but it just doesn't seem to be behaving the way I assume it's designed to. backupmon.cfg doesn't seem to exist anymore?

Last edited:
Question. Can we just add the -backup switch to /jffs/scripts/services-start as the script doesn't seem to do it?

In fact any changes I make to the configuration don't seem to make it through to the cron job or services-start. It's not a headache, I can edit the cron myself (which is fine), but it just doesn't seem to be behaving the way I assume it's designed to. backupmon.cfg doesn't seem to exist anymore?
It's not meant to run from services-start as it's a run and done type of script. What kinds of changes are you trying to make that aren't reflecting?

The cfg lives under /jffs/addons/backupmon.d

It's not meant to run from services-start as it's a run and done type of script. What kinds of changes are you trying to make that aren't reflecting?

The cfg lives under /jffs/addons/backupmon.d
If I change the time of the backup in backupmon it gets changed in the config file, but that's not reflected in the cru a line added to services-start

If I change the time of the backup in backupmon it gets changed in the config file, but that's not reflected in the cru a line added to services-start
Oh I see what you mean... the cru command itself. Hmm. Yeah, it looks like you'd need to disable auto start, and then re-enable it for the time to stick. I'll get that fixed.

standing by...
I would add this script in a heartbeat to amtm and will in fact do so next time I fire up the Workhorse and do some coding.
The release will be delayed however as I already made significant changes in amtm for the upcoming Diversion update. Both updates are tied together as it stands now.

As always y’all will have to be patient. Take a hike Go on a hike, read a book, treat your significant other well and don’t waste time on YouTube as apparently I do.

Last edited:
I would add this script in a heartbeat to amtm and will in fact do so next time I fire up the Workhorse and do some coding.
The release will be delayed however as I already made significant changes in amtm for the upcoming Diversion update. Both updates are tied together as it stands now.

As always y’all will have to be patient. Take a hike, read a book, treat your significant other well and don’t waste time on YouTube as apparently I do.
Telling your users to "Take a hike"?!? Love it! 😘

Two updates a day keeps the bugs away! Fixed that issue that @Ripshod found, and fixed some CRON-related bugs at the same time! And yeah, if you want to add switches to the services-start cru command, you'll need to add those manually... and probably just keep the scheduler disabled since that's a power user move! :)

What's new?
v1.17 - (September 18, 2023)
- FIXED:
Bugs associated with adding a CRON job were found while adding the request that @Ripshod made note of, and now updates the cru job with the correct time if you happen to change the time without the need to first disable and then re-enable the backup scheduler!

Download link (or update directly within BACKUPMON)
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-1.17.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Bravo. That's done the business. Can I stop editing my signature now? 🤓

Bravo. That's done the business. Can I stop editing my signature now? 🤓
LOL... for real!! Let's hope so... at least for today! HAHAHAH

LOL... for real!! Let's hope so... at least for today! HAHAHAH

@Viktor Jaep I just had a play with 1.17 and notice the cron job being added/modified in services-start doesn’t have the “-backup” switch which means it won’t auto-purge if “Purge Backups =YES” Is this by design or ??

@Viktor Jaep I just had a play with 1.17 and notice the cron job being added/modified in services-start doesn’t have the “-backup” switch which means it won’t auto-purge if “Purge Backups =YES” Is this by design or ??
By design... I am going with the simplest option that most people will likely use for the cron job... which is "sh /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh", which will do a regular backup, and leave it at that. In your case, I would probably just modify the services-start entry and/or the cru entry if you want to add that fancy power user switch... Perhaps in the future, I'll add a feature that allows you to choose to add the -backup switch to the CRON job. ;)

Nice! I'll start putting some thoughts around how to handle this... ;)
I was bored last night, so I hacked something together to accomplish this:
  1. Copy /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon.cfg to /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon1.cfg and /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon2.cfg.
  2. Edit /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon1.cfg to disable schedule.
  3. Edit /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon2.cfg to disable schedule and to edit details for second server (i.e., minimally config items 1-4 from GUI). Be sure that the local drive mount path is different than that in /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon1.cfg.
  4. Create two mini-scripts — /jffs/scripts/backupmon1 and /jffs/scripts/backupmon1:
    • Code:
      #!/bin/sh

cp /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon1.cfg /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon.cfg
      sh /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh

-- AND --

#!/bin/sh

cp /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon2.cfg /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon.cfg
  5. Change permissions of two mini-scripts to 755.
  6. Create two crontab entries in /jffs/scripts/post-mount to run the two mini-scripts. I staggered them by 15 minutes.
There may be a more elegant way, but this works like a champ in the interim!

I was bored last night, so I hacked something together to accomplish this:
  1. Copy /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon.cfg to /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon1.cfg and /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon2.cfg.
  2. Edit /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon1.cfg to disable schedule.
  3. Edit /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon2.cfg to disable schedule and to edit details for second server (i.e., minimally config items 1-4 from GUI). Be sure that the local drive mount path is different than that in /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon1.cfg.
  4. Create two mini-scripts — /jffs/scripts/backupmon1 and /jffs/scripts/backupmon1:
    • Code:
      #!/bin/sh

cp /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon1.cfg /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon.cfg

-- AND --

#!/bin/sh

cp /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon2.cfg /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon.cfg
  5. Change permissions of two mini-scripts to 755.
  6. Create two crontab entries in /jffs/scripts/post-mount to run the two mini-scripts. I staggered them by 15 minutes.
There may be a more elegant way, but this works like a champ in the interim!
Dang, you rock @visortgw! That certainly does the trick! :) Yeah, I'm toying with it right now, figuring out how to handle the interface to add a secondary backup target, and how it should behave/display when all is said and done. Great job!

When trying to install backupmon on a new router, I am again unable to initiate the initial configuration. Running:
Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/backup.sh -setup
results in fatal error:
ERROR: BACKUPMON is not configured. Please run 'backupmon.sh -setup' first.
Any thoughts?

When trying to install backupmon on a new router, I am again unable to initiate the initial configuration. Running:
Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/backup.sh -setup
results in fatal error:
ERROR: BACKUPMON is not configured. Please run 'backupmon.sh -setup' first.
Any thoughts?
This error was originally fixed in 0.92RC. I presume you're using a later version?