What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.8.19 -July 20, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has @Martinski 's GitHub Repo been removed?

Was installing backupmon on an additional router for testing, and the email confirmations weren't working. The content of /jffs/addons/shared-libs/CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh was simply
Code:
404: Not Found

Looked at what CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh contained in my main router and saw the reference to https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Martinski4GitHub/CustomMiscUtils

But can't find that, or indeed any of @Martinski 's GitHub.

I know MerlinAU also uses Martinksi's code too, so wondering if this affects MerlinAU too, @ExtremeFiretop ?

Martinski's account was flagged as "Spammy" by Github and he currently has a support ticket in.
Sadly free accounts are at the bottom of the barrel so it could be a month or 2 before he gets his account re-instated by some of the comments we are reading.

MerlinAU is unimpacted as Martinski did not include any calls to his repo in MerlinAU, instead the code is integrated directly into MerlinAU.

Last edited:
MerlinAU is unimpacted as Martinski did not include any calls to his repo in MerlinAU, instead the code is integrated directly into MerlinAU.

Do you think there’ll be any chance BACKUPMON could also have the email script directly integrated in its code rather than calling on Martininski’s GitHub repo, @Viktor Jaep ?

Otherwise, does that mean the email notifications won’t work until Martinksi’s repo is back up and running (which according to @ExtremeFiretop could apparently be a couple of months)?

Do you think there’ll be any chance BACKUPMON could also have the email script directly integrated in its code rather than calling on Martininski’s GitHub repo, @Viktor Jaep ?

Otherwise, does that mean the email notifications won’t work until Martinksi’s repo is back up and running (which according to @ExtremeFiretop could apparently be a couple of months)?
It seems email notifications are still working for those that are already set up. I assume this will only affect new installs.

It seems email notifications are still working for those that are already set up. I assume this will only affect new installs.

So because you said this, I just tried copying the
Code:
/jffs/addons/shared-libs/CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh
script over onto the new install, but every time I run a backup it still seems to call on Martinski’s repo anyway, as all the code in the script just gets replaced by the same one line reporting a 404 error upon being run.

Do you know why this might be, if it stills runs fine for you on your current install?

Yep, it's only affecting new installs at this point... and I'm guessing if you're running emails on success events per @JimbobJay... good to know!

I've gotten @Martinski's permission to host the file in my own repo for now, until his repo gets restored by github. I'll start working on this, and putting a new version of BACKUPMON out there that refers to the new repo. So please stand by.

So because you said this, I just tried copying the
Code:
/jffs/addons/shared-libs/CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh
script over onto the new install, but every time I run a backup it still seems to call on Martinski’s repo anyway, as all the code in the script just gets replaced by the same one line reporting a 404 error upon being run.

Do you know why this might be, if it stills runs fine for you on your current install?
This might be something that @Martinski will want to know about... perhaps a change request might be in order to leave the file/code intact even if it encounters a 404 error, just so it doesn't bring down that functionality, until the 404 resolves?

EDIT: I just tried this, and even though it complains about not being able to see the "cemVersion.txt" (404 error), it did not blank out the shared library script, and continued working/sending emails as usual.

Last edited:
Quick emergency fix release due to Github causing mayhem on @Martinski's repos... thanks much to @JimbobJay for reporting this! I just realized that this is probably also going to affect new installs of VPNMON-R3 and TAILMON at this point... bah! :(

What's new?
v1.8.15 - (July 7, 2024)
- PATCH:
Implemented a workaround to continue providing AMTM email capabilities due to the shared library source being hosted under @Martinski's github repo becoming unavailable. This should only affect new installs, as having existing functionality in place should continue working as normal. Will work with @Martinki to move this back over to his repo when it becomes available again. Thanks to @JimbobJay for bringing this to our attention!

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Members will want to know so I'll ask. AMTM's email is still working fine for me, so is there any point updating to this? Will it break anything if I do the update?

Members will want to know so I'll ask. AMTM's email is still working fine for me, so is there any point updating to this? Will it break anything if I do the update?
You should be fine... Luckily no major changes planned until Martinski's repos come back online hopefully! ;)

Strange, but it completes now, with AIprotection active and the exclusion removed. 🧐
Correction
Code:
Jul 06 2024 02:16:21 ripshod BACKUPMON[23915] - **ERROR**: Errors detected creating secondary EXT Drive tar file.
This time it's the secondary backup (thumb drive) that fails so unrelated to the state of the storage. Your fault @Viktor Jaep, you made me look at the logs :eek:
Anyways, for those running Trend Micro stuff add the following line(s) to your exclusions file
AI Protection:
Code:
/jffs/.sys/AiProtectionMonitor/AiProtectionMonitor.db
Traffic Analyzer:
Code:
/jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db
Web History (QoS)
Code:
/jffs/.sys/WebHistory/WebHistory.db
The db files will be recreated automatically with 0 bytes after a restore.

** Edited to add Web History **

Last edited:
Correction
Code:
Jul 06 2024 02:16:21 ripshod BACKUPMON[23915] - **ERROR**: Errors detected creating secondary EXT Drive tar file.
This time it's the secondary backup (thumb drive) that fails so unrelated to the state of the storage. Your fault @Viktor Jaep, you made me look at the logs :eek:
Anyways, for those running Trend Micro stuff add the following line(s) to your exclusions file
AI Protection:
Code:
/jffs/.sys/AiProtectionMonitor/AiProtectionMonitor.db
Traffic Analyzer:
Code:
/jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db
The two db files will be recreated automatically after a restore.
Not my fault! :p And happy not to be running AiProtection! LOL

Quick emergency fix release due to Github causing mayhem on @Martinski's repos... thanks much to @JimbobJay for reporting this! I just realized that this is probably also going to affect new installs of VPNMON-R3 and TAILMON at this point... bah! :(

Thank you for such a rapid bugfix release on this. Can confirm that email confirmations now work on new installs when installing v1.8.15

You should be extremely proud of how responsive and hard working you are on your scripts for the benefit of this community. It's great work, and I for one, and I'm sure I'm by no means alone, really appreciate it :)

Thank you for such a rapid bugfix release on this. Can confirm that email confirmations now work on new installs when installing v1.8.15

You should be extremely proud of how responsive and hard working you are on your scripts for the benefit of this community. It's great work, and I for one, and I'm sure I'm by no means alone, really appreciate it :)
Thanks for the kudos, @JimbobJay! Well get ready for another update here soon as Martinski's repos just came back online today! 😋

Not my fault! :p And happy not to be running AiProtection! LOL
I was running it to make sure Trend Micro had marked one of my most used sites as safe after I requested it. I forgot to turn it off after (a friend asked me to look at it).
With AIProtection enabled my 500Mb is choked to 350, so I'm glad it's not a feature I use.
An amendment to that post. To make things simple just add
Code:
*.db
to the exclusions list instead of the individual lines - tested and works, but it will lose you any other databases (spdMerlin for one) . 😎

@Viktor Jaep

I enabled secondary backup monthly thinking it'd save the config once a month - but it seems to also do daily backups, just like the primary backup, just to a different drive.

Am I doing something wrong?
backupmon1.png

@Viktor Jaep

I enabled secondary backup monthly thinking it'd save the config once a month - but it seems to also do daily backups, just like the primary backup, just to a different drive.

Am I doing something wrong?
View attachment 60195
Right... It's meant to do a full secondary backup that mirrors the primary, just to a different location.

Right... It's meant to do a full secondary backup that mirrors the primary, just to a different location.

Well, it did ask about secondary backup frequency in the setup, I guess that's not used?

My use case is to keep the larger time gap backups in case some script update messes up my system and I only catch it a while later.

Well, it did ask about secondary backup frequency in the setup, I guess that's not used?

My use case is to keep the larger time gap backups in case some script update messes up my system and I only catch it a while later.
Backup frequency is asked for in the secondary backup setup/config section... it's definitely used! It can be different than your primary.

1721081703427.png

Seeing you're only needing an infrequent backup, you might just want to copy one of the primary backups over to some other folder every so often... that might do the trick. ;)

Backup frequency is asked for in the secondary backup setup/config section... it's definitely used! It can be different than your primary.

View attachment 60207

Seeing you're only needing an infrequent backup, you might just want to copy one of the primary backups over to some other folder every so often... that might do the trick. ;)

OK, I think there is still residual confusion here. My primary backup is daily, my secondary is monthly. And yet both backups are happening daily.

So it does not appear to be using this "monthly" setting for the secondary backup!

OK, I think there is still residual confusion here. My primary backup is daily, my secondary is monthly. And yet both backups are happening daily.

So it does not appear to be using this "monthly" setting for the secondary backup!
All backups kick off daily, regardless if it's setup for "Yearly", "Monthly" or "Weekly"... or "Perpetual".

If you picked yearly... you would see folders like "001", "002", etc. for the day of the year.
If you picked monthly... you would see folders like "01", "02", "31", etc. for the day of the month
If you picked weekly... you would see folders like "Mon", Tue", etc. for the day of the week
If you picked perpetual... you would see folders like "20240716-183617" indicating date/time, perpetually.

All backups kick off daily, regardless if it's setup for "Yearly", "Monthly" or "Weekly"... or "Perpetual".

If you picked yearly... you would see folders like "001", "002", etc. for the day of the year.
If you picked monthly... you would see folders like "01", "02", "31", etc. for the day of the month
If you picked weekly... you would see folders like "Mon", Tue", etc. for the day of the week
If you picked perpetual... you would see folders like "20240716-183617" indicating date/time, perpetually.
"Yearly", "Monthly", "Weekly", or "Perpetual" refer to retention time, not frequency, correct?