What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.8.5 -June 21, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Strange, but it completes now, with AIprotection active and the exclusion removed. 🧐

Code:
tar -zvcf /tmp/mnt/UNCDRIVE/backupfolder/jffs.tar.gz -X /pathtoexlusionfile/file.txt -C /jffs .

Here's the command using an exclusion file...

My server's samba shares aren't mounted, so the file was saved locally. could that be why?

My server's samba shares aren't mounted, so the file was saved locally. could that be why?
I would try to replicate the normal backup process as closely as you possibly can... mounting your network samba shares, running the command with the exclusion file (that both includes or doesn't include that TM exclusion), and using the 'v' verbose flag...

But I would have thought it would error out if it couldn't write to an unmounted drive.

But I would have thought it would error out if it couldn't write to an unmounted drive.
Without a drive actually mounted there's still a directory, and that gets written to.
I'm gonna leave it for now, it's giving me a headache lol

An Afterthought. When this error occurs backupmon just closes without attempting a secondary backup. Is that correct behaviour?

Last edited:
Without a drive actually mounted there's still a directory, and that gets written to.
I'm gonna leave it for now, it's giving me a headache lol
I guess it would be writing it locally onto USB storage? Interesting. Yeah, I just wrote a test file to my unmounted primary backup mount that is currently unmounted. Wonder if those files will ever clear, or if they just hang there in the ether.

An Afterthought. When this error occurs backupmon just closes without attempting a secondary backup. Is that correct behaviour?
That's correct... if a significant error occurs, it quits entirely. The thought was, if something major is out of whack, to step back and let you investigate a cause before attempting another backup.

To fully replicate what I was experiencing I'm going to run AIprotection and Network Analyzer for a couple of days, just like when the problem first appeared. Catch up Tuesday. 🤞

Thanks for making this! Easy to set up and works flawlessly.

I'm new to ASUS Routers, so when Backupmon mentions it backups JFFS, will this include the settings set in the ASUS GUI such as SSID etc, basically making the backup function of settings in the GUI redundant or backupmon only includes a backup of all the setup done through AMTM?

Thanks!

Thanks for making this! Easy to set up and works flawlessly.

I'm new to ASUS Routers, so when Backupmon mentions it backups JFFS, will this include the settings set in the ASUS GUI such as SSID etc, basically making the backup function of settings in the GUI redundant or backupmon only includes a backup of all the setup done through AMTM?

Thanks!
Yes, it backs up everything. JFFS typically include scripts whereas the NVRAM contains settings like SSID. The GUI is more manual but essentially the same process. The only thing the GUI doesn't do is also back up your external USB drive, which is essential, and typically holds your entware environment and other scripts/settings.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!